Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/17/2017, 04:37 AM   #1
Sig32
Registered Member

Blue Reef Chromis Question

I'm looking for a blue, community, reef safe fish and I like the blue reef chromis. My concern is that my tank is only 65 gallons. I don't want a fish that will grow too large and I've read that they can get to 5". I prefer not to have a fish that will dominate my tank both physically and visually just based on its size.

I can get one less than an inch in size, but my question is just how big would it get in my size tank? Anyone have long term experience with this fish? How quick did it grow and how big did it get? Thanks

Sig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2017, 08:57 AM   #2
this is me
Registered Member

I don't have any long terms experience with Blue Reef Chromis as I just added 6 to my tank about a month ago.
They were bought from LA and the size was tiny. Less than inch. Two of them are only 1/2" at best. One of the smaller one went in the overflow and into the sump and was sucked up by the skimmer. I only noticed it after looking at my skimmer. I lost another one last week so I'm down to 4 blue reef chromis.
I do have the blue/green regualr $5 chromis which has been with me for over 3 years. They do grow but I don't think they grow that fast.
IME, these chromis actually need a bigger tank than people realized. If you're keeping more than 3, they need a lot of room otherwise, they will pecked at each other to death.
I have my 5 blue/green chromis for over 3 years and I think it's because of the larger tank. I've kept a group of 7 in a 55 gallons and I wad down to 2 within 6 months.

When a man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harassment. When a woman talks dirty to a man, it's $4.95 per minute.

Current Tank Info: Miracle 360 gallons
this is me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2017, 12:26 PM   #3
Sig32
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply. If I get the blue reef chromis it will only be one. I know I'm limited to space with my size tank and I am not interested in having multiple. I like that they are peaceful, I'm just concerned with there potential size. I don't want to keep a fish for years, just to get rid of it if it gets too big.

Sig32 is offline   Reply With Quote