Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/29/2017, 02:14 PM   #1
Webmanny
Registered Member

Oceanic Biocube 29, backwall return area issue

Hi all,

I just got a 29 Biocube used and after cleaning it, I realized that the return chamber in the back, has a leak on a section of the silicone. This means that that chamber, will want to level with the display section up front.

I have it cleaned up and I am looking for advise on resealing it. My questions are:
  1. Should I remove all the silicone on the back and redo it?
  2. What Lowes or HD silicone should I get?
  3. Do you have a link to any videos that can show me how to go about this?
  4. What tools do I need? Can I scrape the silicone with a blade or should I use something else?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My N=1 study of me, validated by me, and supported by completely anecdotal evidence, states that my advice is 100% correct, most of the time.
Webmanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/29/2017, 02:17 PM   #2
Albertan_Reef
Registered Member

Pull the chamber off. Clean all the silicone off and any silicone 1 will work. Aslong as its silicone without any additives.

King of DIY in youtube has some tutorials that will be worth watching

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

Albertan_Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/29/2017, 02:28 PM   #3
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Welcome to the biocube 29 club. Join us in the nano section once you're up and running. I'm interested to hear how your project comes out.

As mentioned, from what I've gathered here in the DIY forum, is that you'd want to scrape all of the silicone out (though I'd be careful around the bottom frame silicone joints) with a razor blade. Once scraped, clean it out with rubbing alcohol, and then you can re-seal it.

You can use GE silicone I if you want to go the traditional route. I believe that the stock install uses black silicone though. I'd recommend a quick search of the DIY forum for black RTV silicone recommendations.

Hope that helps, look forward to seeing you around in the nano forum!

ReefWreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/29/2017, 07:30 PM   #4
Webmanny
Registered Member

Thank you guys. I'm going to attempt this over the weekend and see how it goes. I'll report back once I'm done.

My N=1 study of me, validated by me, and supported by completely anecdotal evidence, states that my advice is 100% correct, most of the time.
Webmanny is offline   Reply With Quote