Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/02/2017, 12:37 PM   #1
fixingstill
Registered Member

Wifi endoscope in our reef tank?

Wifi endoscope in our reef tank?
Plenty of them on amazon. They all look the same. One end goes into water and another end connects to a wifi module. Your phone connects to the module via wifi and you can watch the fish.
These cameras are supposed to be IP67 waterproof. I also wonder if the wifi module will work while being charged.

I tried mine and after about10 sec, the screen turned gray. Time to return to amazon.

If you have better luck getting yours to work, please let me know which one you got.
Or I am wasting my time?

fixingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2017, 01:05 AM   #2
danferd2002
Registered Member

IP 67 is not waterproof. Its protected from dust and can withstand some rain or water splash.

Your better off with an external camera pointed to the tank. There is plenty of threads about them.

danferd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2017, 07:10 AM   #3
fixingstill
Registered Member

Right. I concluded that. Guys, don't waste your time trying.

Unread 09/03/2017, 10:58 AM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Actually IP67
IP = ingress protection
6 = dust tight
7 = waterproof up to 1m

It simply did not meet its rating unless your tank is deeper than 1m.. Its faulty..

Unread 09/03/2017, 02:21 PM   #5
fixingstill
Registered Member

Good to know.
One thing is that when the wifi module is being charged, it can't be used.
So, I can't run it 24x7 in a reef tank.

Unread 09/04/2017, 09:29 AM   #6
danferd2002
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
Actually IP67
IP = ingress protection
6 = dust tight
7 = waterproof up to 1m

It simply did not meet its rating unless your tank is deeper than 1m.. Its faulty..
I was just giving real world info. Yes under lab conditions it technically can be submerged for 30 minutes @ 1 meter. However i would never intentionally do it or rely on it.

danferd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/04/2017, 09:40 AM   #7
fixingstill
Registered Member

What real world? If it says IP67 and if IP67 means above, then I would submerge it in up to 1M 24x7 and expect it to work. Otherwise it is not-as-described and I will return for full refund.

Unread 09/04/2017, 02:13 PM   #8
mcgyvr
Registered Member

I did leave out the 30 minute part.. But 10 seconds is < 30 minutes and your tank is < 1m so the product failed and should be returned for a full refund..

Unread 09/05/2017, 01:49 PM   #9
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixingstill View Post
What real world? If it says IP67 and if IP67 means above, then I would submerge it in up to 1M 24x7 and expect it to work. Otherwise it is not-as-described and I will return for full refund.
To be clear, the IEC publishes IP ratings specifically for electronics that are water resistant, not water proof. The idea is that the ratings describe protection against accidental water exposure, not true waterproofness or fitness for operation under water in the normal course of use. The plain text description attached to even the highest rating (IP68) still refers to "accidental" submersion.

Basically, these ratings are meant to tell you if the device will survive being dropped in your tank, NOT to indicate the device is suitable for constant operation under water.

"It is my personal belief that reef aquaria should be thriving communities of biodiversity, representative of their wild counterparts, and not merely collections of pretty specimens growing on tidy clean rock shelves covered in purple coralline algae." (Eric Borneman)
der_wille_zur_macht is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/05/2017, 01:56 PM   #10
fixingstill
Registered Member

Understood now.

Unread 09/05/2017, 03:01 PM   #11
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

I agree with mcgyvr though that if it failed instantly in a few inches of water it didn't meet the standard and you would definitely have grounds to return it.

This topic has come up a few other times. Generally it seems like people gave up. Even when a truly waterproof camera was used, people complained about how it eventually became a cleaning chore since even a small amount of film algae on the lens would ruin the image. A camera out of and away from the water is pretty foolproof by comparison, and also would have the advantage of letting you see things near but not inside the tank - like a leak or external equipment malfunction.

"It is my personal belief that reef aquaria should be thriving communities of biodiversity, representative of their wild counterparts, and not merely collections of pretty specimens growing on tidy clean rock shelves covered in purple coralline algae." (Eric Borneman)
der_wille_zur_macht is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/06/2017, 09:27 AM   #12
adeebm
Registered Member

Aren't GoPros supposed to be waterproof? More expensive than an Amazon IPcam, but maybe worth a shot.

adeebm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/06/2017, 10:37 AM   #13
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adeebm View Post
Aren't GoPros supposed to be waterproof? More expensive than an Amazon IPcam, but maybe worth a shot.
yes they are and there a plenty of cheap knockoffs out there too..
Problem with them though is short battery life/no corded solution so you would only get a few hours of video before the battery died..

Unread 09/09/2017, 09:21 AM   #14
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

What, no polyp jokes .... how disappointing.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/09/2017, 04:26 PM   #15
saf1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adeebm View Post
GoPro, some if not most, are waterproof. Some 33 feet or so, others with standard housing such as the Hero line are good for 133 feet or so. I have a Hero 4 that I take scuba diving all the time. Works great has long as you treat it like any other water housing protecting a camera. Rinse after dives, check seals, etc.

I've tossed mine in my 40 breeder just to play around. It doesn't know if it is the real ocean or the one I have in my den 400 bucks not a bad deal when you think of DSLR or other special housing for cameras or recorders.

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon mixed reef
saf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/12/2017, 09:52 AM   #16
lieberca
Registered Member

Just bought the cheapest GoPro Hero for ~$150 and it makes some very cool inside-the-reef videos, but certainly not a leave-in solution.

As for ingress protection (IP), I spend a lot of time worrying about this in my job. The IP rating isn't necessarily a temporary exposure item, as the exposure time is part of the liquid protection rating. For something dwelling in your reef, I'd find an IP68, which would mean it's hermetically sealed and water-tight.

lieberca is offline   Reply With Quote