Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/02/2017, 05:24 PM   #1
nycjwi
Registered Member

20 gallon tank - Nitrates

I have a 20 Gallon all in one tank with skimmer and pump in the back, so no real sump or Refugio. What do people recommend for managing Nitrates and Sulfates, between weekly water changes?? The tank has live rock and 1.5 inches of live sand. I've read a lot of good stuff about chemi pure.

I would appreciate your thoughts.

Thx

nycjwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/02/2017, 05:40 PM   #2
carrots
Registered Member

Less feeding and make sure to clean or replacing dirty sponges and filter material.

carrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/02/2017, 06:26 PM   #3
Cheapreef
Registered Member

I run a algae scubber on my 21 gallon cube, I have to dose nitrates to keep them above zero.

Cheapreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/02/2017, 07:55 PM   #4
nycjwi
Registered Member

Why would u want to does nitrates?? Do algae scrubbers even work on a smaller tank. Can someone recommend a good one??

nycjwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/02/2017, 08:02 PM   #5
Cheapreef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjwi View Post
Why would u want to does nitrates?? Do algae scrubbers even work on a smaller tank. Can someone recommend a good one??
Because zero nitrates are not the best way to run a tank, I dose to maintain 1PPM to get better coloring for SPS.
Why wouldn't they work on smaller tanks? If the nutrients are there it will work just as well as any other tank. I feed about 3/4 of a cube of food a day plus Amino Acids and every 3-4 days Reef Roids, lots to keep a AS going. I built a DIY since it's very easy and there really isn't many options to fit the space I had.

Cheapreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2017, 05:53 PM   #6
Dan_P
Registered Member

Do you have a new system?

One has to manages nitrates when the bioload exceeds the capacity of the rock and sand to denitrify the system. Phosphate management might be needed at some level even in a lightly stocked system because phosphate is not as readily exported as ammonia and nitrates and can accumulate.

Dan_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2017, 09:41 PM   #7
bertoni
RC Mod

ChemiPure is a good grade of activated carbon along with some resins that probably don't work in saltwater. It probably won't do much to control the nitrate level. What is the nitrate level now?

I'm not sure why you think there would be a problem with sulfate, but water changes would be the only way to fix the level.