Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/05/2017, 09:15 PM   #1
Dans85
Registered Member

Kole tang sexing?

Just wondering if there is any info on how to sex these guys? I recently added one to my aquarium, and my curiosity has the best of me. Any info would be appreciated.

Dans85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/06/2017, 04:36 PM   #2
mike61289
Registered Member

No way of sexing them.

Unread 09/06/2017, 07:15 PM   #3
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike61289 View Post
No way of sexing them.
When I started in this hobby almost 40 years ago that was said about pretty much all reef fish species, with the few exceptions of of those species that have a clear sexual dimorphism (pipefish, seahorses, mandarins, Anthias,...).
Today it can be done for quite a number of fish.

There is definitely at least one way to sex any fish - the one scientists use. The only problem with that method is that the fish isn't alive by the time you know its sex.

Tangs are capable of changing sex according to what I could find in scientific research papers. But I didn't find anything about the trigger mechanism.
The most common trigger among reef fish is the position in the group hirachy. In general the dominant one on the top becomes the male (anemonefish are the exception with the females being the larger and dominant ones in a pair). This could definitely also be how it works for the more social tangs.
Other triggers could be age or size.

In essence, if you really want a pair give it a shot and add another one.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/06/2017, 08:54 PM   #4
Dans85
Registered Member

Thanks for the help. I'm not necessarily wanting a pair or to breed for that matter. I'm mostly just curious. I appreciate the info.

Dans85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/07/2017, 07:25 AM   #5
mike61289
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post
When I started in this hobby almost 40 years ago that was said about pretty much all reef fish species, with the few exceptions of of those species that have a clear sexual dimorphism (pipefish, seahorses, mandarins, Anthias,...).
Today it can be done for quite a number of fish.

There is definitely at least one way to sex any fish - the one scientists use. The only problem with that method is that the fish isn't alive by the time you know its sex.

Tangs are capable of changing sex according to what I could find in scientific research papers. But I didn't find anything about the trigger mechanism.
The most common trigger among reef fish is the position in the group hirachy. In general the dominant one on the top becomes the male (anemonefish are the exception with the females being the larger and dominant ones in a pair). This could definitely also be how it works for the more social tangs.
Other triggers could be age or size.

In essence, if you really want a pair give it a shot and add another one.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
I wouldn't recommend adding a conspecific tang to any tank... Not a good idea, especially if they aren't introduced simultaneously.

You're right. Many fish can be be sexed nowadays. Tangs are a different story though, at least while they're alive. Only the few species that develop extensions on their tail (male) can be distinguished by the naked eye. Tangs generally only school together when reproducing or to forage. In these situations, I don't believe that there really is any dominance hierarchy because their schools are HUGE! We're talking hundreds if not thousands of fish in one group! It's more that they're cooperating with each other in order to get what they need (food) or to do what needs to be done in order to maintain or increase their population size (reproduce).