Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/06/2017, 05:13 PM   #1
NicholasAllen
Moved On

Decent Lighting Suggestions

So I am in the process of cycling a 30 gallon a half Moon tank. I am just finishing up week one of the cycle, so I still have a little bit of time before I need my lights. The dimensions are 26 1/2 x 13 1/2 x 26 1/2. I was wondering if you guys could offer some suggestions on decent lighting for corals. Now I know a lot of you are probably wondering, what kind of corals are you wanting? And the truth is, I am not at all sure. This is my first time doing a saltwater tank, so I won't be looking for anything that requires a whole lot of care. I plan on adding a couple of fish, but I am going to mainly stick with corals only. Not looking for anything too crazy expensive, but I'm also not wanting to cheap out either. All suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

NicholasAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/06/2017, 05:54 PM   #2
jda
Dogmatic Dinosaur

Check out some of the black box LEDs from China. You can keep most stuff under them and do well - they will not keep anything well even though people will tell you otherwise, but they are a really good start that are inexpensive and decent quality that you could replace in a few years if/when you want to go a different way.

There are many different kinds of brands with all kinds of fanboys. They all work roughly the same, but the features are different... timers, dimming, etc.

jda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/06/2017, 06:37 PM   #3
NicholasAllen
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by jda View Post
Check out some of the black box LEDs from China. You can keep most stuff under them and do well - they will not keep anything well even though people will tell you otherwise, but they are a really good start that are inexpensive and decent quality that you could replace in a few years if/when you want to go a different way.

There are many different kinds of brands with all kinds of fanboys. They all work roughly the same, but the features are different... timers, dimming, etc.
Thanks jda!
Here is a link to what I am looking into at the moment

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ECHISKQ...ualedlights-20

Are these similar to what you're speaking of? I like the side/back of the tank mounting that this one uses, as opposed to any that use hanging wire brackets. Can you provide any links to specify more decent/cheaper lights?

Unread 09/06/2017, 09:26 PM   #4
BigBlueTang
Registered Member

Here's what I used for around a year:http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dimmable-165...-/370857093101
I kept basically whatever I wanted under them, Acropora, Montipora, and Euphllyia etc. I recently upgraded to a 6 bulb ATI fixture, and am not looking back. If you're just starting though, I would go with these. They're extremely powerful, be careful not to burn anything. You should be fine with just one, I lit a 48" 75 with two..
Here's a massive thread in the Lighting and Filtration sub forum that talks about them, it's a long read but worth it.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2474870

Unread 09/06/2017, 10:17 PM   #5
NicholasAllen
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlueTang View Post
Here's what I used for around a year:http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dimmable-165...-/370857093101
I kept basically whatever I wanted under them, Acropora, Montipora, and Euphllyia etc. I recently upgraded to a 6 bulb ATI fixture, and am not looking back. If you're just starting though, I would go with these. They're extremely powerful, be careful not to burn anything. You should be fine with just one, I lit a 48" 75 with two..
Here's a massive thread in the Lighting and Filtration sub forum that talks about them, it's a long read but worth it.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2474870
Thanks BigBlueTang! Good read as well. I wish my decisions for anything I do, or have done, with this tank weren't so hard for me to make lol

Unread 09/07/2017, 07:35 AM   #6
ktownhero
Registered Member

Honestly, it's pretty hard to beat a 24" T5 fixture for a tank like that. T5s will actually keep anything and look good. That's what I'd recommend if you simply never want to worry about whether you have a "good enough" light for anything. Otherwise, I think the black box LEDs are a good option.

ktownhero is offline   Reply With Quote