Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/12/2017, 06:25 PM   #1
Half Vaped
Registered Member

Okay to feed Bloodworms everyday?

I've been feeding Bloodworms to my freshwater tanks everyday for forever. And to my reef tanks about once every week or two, mixed with Mysis, Brine, LRS Frenzy and other frozen goodies.

Recently, I noticed that my Magma Fairy Wrasse really loves Bloodworms, so I've been adding it about every other day. Whenever I have Bloodworms in the mix, my Magma goes after only the Bloodworms and ignores all the other food. My other Wrasses either ignore the Bloodworms or eat some of it along with the frozen mix.

Now, on days I don't feed Bloodworms, my Magma waits a bit to see if any Bloodworms are coming before reluctantly going after the other foods.

I've read mixed thoughts on whether or not feeding Bloodworms daily is an issue. Most seem to agree that it's best to only feed them part of the time. Does anyone have any actual experience of including Bloodworms as part of a daily diet for long term (several years)?

I want to keep my Magma fat and happy, but I don't want to make it sick if it decides to eat only Bloodworms from now on. I also have Anthias and Tangs that I think might be affected by too much Bloodworms.

Half Vaped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/12/2017, 07:56 PM   #2
mike61289
Registered Member

My understanding is that bloodworms are kind of like popcorn to fish. They eat it because it's tasty, making it useful when you have a new fish that's refusing to eat. I wouldn't feed it regularly though to the reef, nor to a freshwater tank.

Unread 09/13/2017, 12:24 AM   #3
Half Vaped
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike61289 View Post
My understanding is that bloodworms are kind of like popcorn to fish. They eat it because it's tasty, making it useful when you have a new fish that's refusing to eat. I wouldn't feed it regularly though to the reef, nor to a freshwater tank.
Hmmm... I been feeding Bloodworms every day to my freshwater tanks since I started in 2010. I have a freshwater Red-eye Puffer for over five years who's diet is maybe 95% Bloodworm. Most of my other freshwater fish eat about 50/50 flakes and Bloodworm. I have some Dwarf Chain Loaches going over seven years now.

I'm comfortable feeding Bloodworms to freshwater fish every day. Just curious if anybody has experience (other than conjecture) whether or not the same practice is safe for reef fish.

Half Vaped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2017, 12:07 PM   #4
Rilelen
Registered Member

I agree, bloodworms are fine for freshwater fish. I too had a dwarf puffer for a while who subsisted almost entirely on bloodworms.

I'm not sure about reef fish, but would love to hear from folks who are more knowledgeable on this issue.

Office Nano Tank System (29 Gallon + 20 Gallon): Saltwater mollies + fry
Rilelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2017, 01:18 PM   #5
carrots
Registered Member

I fed blood worms & mysis shrimp to my marine tanks almost every other day for the past 40 years. The chromis and anthias love chasing them in the current. The label says it is 6.0% protein where mysis shrimp is 10%. Pellet foods 2X a day are their main diet with protein contents around 30% I have had success getting new stubborn fish, like Regal Angels, in QT to eat pellet foods by first getting them to eat blood worms and then later soaking pellet foods in the blood juice before feeding.

carrots is offline   Reply With Quote