Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/21/2017, 07:30 AM   #1
allendehl
Registered Member

Tank is here!!! Run it with tap water is a good idea?

So...finally, after almost month since ordering, two hurricanes getting on its way, slow catching up from RoadRunner my Reefer 350 is home! I'll be opening a build thread soon to show how it is going and get some advice.

In the meantime, would it be a good idea to fully run it with tap water to test for leaks, pin down levels and flow to avoid flooding or any other issues before putting salt water on it? (I mean run it with skimmer, pump, powerheads and all) My concern is that tap water residues may remain in some of the equipment. Not sure that small amount is an issue but I'd like to be sure first.

allendehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2017, 07:39 AM   #2
Turbomark
Registered Member

It's not a problem. You're going to get a lot more nitrates and phosphates just from your cycle than from the tap water residue. I wash and rinse my filter socks and clean all of my equipment in tap water and I have no issues with nutrients other than them being too low most of the time.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Turbomark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2017, 07:40 AM   #3
RobZilla04
Registered Member

If you intend to leak test the plumbing, yes you can use tap. Typically leak testing is done outside for obvious reasons.

I would drain all the tap, replace with RODI and mix in the salt. If you're going to leak test in the final tank position inside, then just use RODI and once you're done, add the salt.

Unread 09/21/2017, 07:50 AM   #4
allendehl
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZilla04 View Post
If you intend to leak test the plumbing, yes you can use tap. Typically leak testing is done outside for obvious reasons.

I would drain all the tap, replace with RODI and mix in the salt. If you're going to leak test in the final tank position inside, then just use RODI and once you're done, add the salt.
Thank you both!! That's what I though but it is always good to get some reassurance from the masters

The tank is quite large and I am afraid of moving it around too much so I'll be testing inside, on it final place where I have tile flooring, so a potential mess is manageable. My plan is to do my initial fill up with ocean salt water (I'll have a guy deliver it). I don't have my mixing and RODI water station setup yet.

How do you drain the tank? I was planing in just sucking all the water using a vinyl hose and wipe dry whatever the hose can't get. Is there an easier way?

Unread 09/21/2017, 08:27 AM   #5
mako61
Registered Member

I leak tested my system with tap water, that way if you have an issue its fresh water on the floor. Plus it kinda washes everything out.

I used a python to drain everything and a few hand towels i have for reefing to finish the job. I still use the python for water changes, unless I need to save the water.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/pytho...ge-system.html

Current Tank Info: Returning Reefer - Red Sea 525XL, Mitras LX7s, Apex, check homepage for vids of tank
mako61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2017, 08:53 AM   #6
Rogger Castells
Registered Member

Yes to all of the above, assuming all the bugs are fixed drain it with a hose as much as you can and then you could use a wet vacuum to finish picking up the last part of water that a hose won’t get, then give it a clean wipe and refill with your ro or nsw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rogger Castells is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2017, 09:05 AM   #7
allendehl
Registered Member

Great stuff. Thanks again all!!

Unread 09/21/2017, 09:06 AM   #8
SycoCell
Registered Member

Just use a pump or whatnot to empty the tank. If you leave a gallon or two of regular water in there, it won't hurt a thing. A tank that size is very minimal in the grand scheme.

Unread 09/21/2017, 09:23 AM   #9
Rogger Castells
Registered Member

Personally I would remove all the tap water. I understand the thinking that it’s minimal impact and it’s, but when you are talking nutrients you measure them in PPM’s and even traces of some stuff could mean an algae blooms or a nice clean tank, why take any chances.

Rogger Castells is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2017, 10:08 AM   #10
MurphyLong
HMFIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SycoCell View Post
Just use a pump or whatnot to empty the tank. If you leave a gallon or two of regular water in there, it won't hurt a thing. A tank that size is very minimal in the grand scheme.
Agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogger Castells View Post
Personally I would remove all the tap water. I understand the thinking that it’s minimal impact and it’s, but when you are talking nutrients you measure them in PPM’s and even traces of some stuff could mean an algae blooms or a nice clean tank, why take any chances.

Yeah, I had almost 10 gallons of tap leftover in my sump when my wet/dry vac quit, and 10 gallons in a 150g system isn't a big deal. I also have great tap water, with a super low TDS, and no chloramine.

MurphyLong is offline   Reply With Quote