Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/23/2017, 08:23 AM   #1
Woonkie
Registered Member

Where am I in the cycle?

I got this tank and the water was in it with rocks for weeks before I picked it up. He had a clown in it and a piece of rock with some green coral on it. I transferred everything except the clown fish. I did a 7 gallon water change last night and it’s a 90 gallon tank with a sump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Woonkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2017, 08:49 AM   #2
Maggie321
Registered Member

If I am understanding correctly, the system (tank, rock, sand,and water) has been set up for weeks. You just recently moved it? Did the rocks dry out? Looking at those test results you are somewhere in the middle of your cycle. I would wait to add anything alive. You can test daily if you want to watch your numbers change but what you are looking for is 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and a timberline 20 to 80 on nitrate. Then you do a decent water change like 20% or so and check the numbers again. Ammonia and nitrite should stay at 0 but nitrate should come down a bit. You can then add a clean up crew. Expect diatoms or cyanobacteria or algae... or all 3. Then your nitrates will disappear. But you want to do at least 10% water changes at this point every week. Your nitrates will return but at a lower level when the ugly phase has passed.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Maggie321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2017, 08:50 AM   #3
Maggie321
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie321 View Post
If I am understanding correctly, the system (tank, rock, sand,and water) has been set up for weeks. You just recently moved it? Did the rocks dry out? Looking at those test results you are somewhere in the middle of your cycle. I would wait to add anything alive. You can test daily if you want to watch your numbers change but what you are looking for is 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and a timberline 20 to 80 on nitrate. Then you do a decent water change like 20% or so and check the numbers again. Ammonia and nitrite should stay at 0 but nitrate should come down a bit. You can then add a clean up crew. Expect diatoms or cyanobacteria or algae... or all 3. Then your nitrates will disappear. But you want to do at least 10% water changes at this point every week. Your nitrates will return but at a lower level when the ugly phase has passed.

That was supposed to say a number between instead of timberline

Unread 09/23/2017, 08:51 AM   #4
Woonkie
Registered Member

Awesome thanks! I forgot to mention a couple key things

I added the live sand and added about 35 lbs live rock when I moved it last Sunday.

But he did have the tank running with the clown fish for about 2 weeks before I picked it up. So a total of about 3 weeks

Another question. Should I run my lights now to help grow some algae? Or should I leave them off

Unread 09/23/2017, 09:01 AM   #5
Maggie321
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonkie View Post
Awesome thanks! I forgot to mention a couple key things

I added the live sand and added about 35 lbs live rock when I moved it last Sunday.

But he did have the tank running with the clown fish for about 2 weeks before I picked it up. So a total of about 3 weeks

Another question. Should I run my lights now to help grow some algae? Or should I leave them off

There is nothing in your tank that needs light right now so I would not run lights.

You are at a point in your cycle where it could complete over night or it could take another 3 months.

The live rock you added should help populate your other rock with good bacteria.

Do you have an ammonia source? A shrimp? Ghost feeding?

I kinda feel bad for the clown he had, I wouldn't add anything alive till your ammonia and nitrites are at 0. That is like breathing poison mustard gas to us. Both of those are poisonous for fish.

Unread 09/23/2017, 09:03 AM   #6
Woonkie
Registered Member

Gotcha. Yeah. I agree that’s why I didn’t bring the fish home with me. I want to wait till the water is right

Unread 09/23/2017, 09:04 AM   #7
Woonkie
Registered Member

I don’t think I have an ammonia source. Should I? Like I said the one piece of rock has some living green coral on it and some dead coral on it.

Unread 09/23/2017, 09:07 AM   #8
Woonkie
Registered Member

Sorry that last post sounded rude. My apologies. Didn’t mean for it to.

Unread 09/23/2017, 09:12 AM   #9
Maggie321
Registered Member

You didn't say anything rude. You're fine.

I would ghost feed, that is like feeding a non existent fish. Just a pinch of flake food a day (I used freshwater fish food).

You are feeding the bacteria so they populate the rock better.

Unread 09/23/2017, 09:16 AM   #10
Maggie321
Registered Member

What are you wanting to have in your tank? If you want just fish and live rock, almost any light will do, if you are wanting corals, I would do a lot of research to be sure your light is sufficient before you buy any.

Also what water are you using? Tap? RO? RODI? Buying it from your lfs?

Unread 09/23/2017, 10:27 AM   #11
Woonkie
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie321 View Post
What are you wanting to have in your tank? If you want just fish and live rock, almost any light will do, if you are wanting corals, I would do a lot of research to be sure your light is sufficient before you buy any.

Also what water are you using? Tap? RO? RODI? Buying it from your lfs?

Going to start with fish and maybe build up to a soft coral reef. I already have the life aquatic T5 light so I’m going to use that for the time being while I learn. I watched a video that someone said towards the end of the cycle I should put on the light to help grow algae to help kill the nitrites and nitrates.

Did a 7 gallon water change next week I’ll probably do a 14 gallon. I have 7 gallon jugs so that’s what I’m using.

Unread 09/23/2017, 10:28 AM   #12
Woonkie
Registered Member

Here it is by the way.

Unread 09/23/2017, 11:57 AM   #13
Woonkie
Registered Member

So I shouldn’t get any fish or clean up crew right now correct? Keep doing weekly water changes until my levels reach 0?

Unread 09/23/2017, 01:23 PM   #14
Maggie321
Registered Member

Quote:
So I shouldn’t get any fish or clean up crew right now correct? Keep doing weekly water changes until my levels reach 0?

Looks good! And yes I would wait till ammonia and nitrites are 0.

Unread 09/23/2017, 02:48 PM   #15
thomas.torode
Registered Member

If nitrate and ammonia aren't detectable with API, it's cycled.

Unread 09/23/2017, 08:39 PM   #16
nereefpat
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas.torode View Post
If nitrate and ammonia aren't detectable with API, it's cycled.
Nitrite

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2017, 10:21 PM   #17
Woonkie
Registered Member

Nitrite is basically 0. Nitrates are around 20-30

So some snails and crabs then? Or should I get a hardy fish or 2 first?

Unread 09/24/2017, 02:58 PM   #18
shaginwagon13
Chartered Accountant

Quote:

I always run the lights for 3 hours a day. I know a lot of people do not, I have never seen an issue.

I also run my skimmer throughout the cycle as well. Some more info can be found below.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1811857

Current Tank Info: 550 Gallon SPS Reef l 200 Gallon Sump l Skimmer: Vertex Alpha 250 l Return Pump: Reeflo Hammerhead l Tank Circulation: (2) Maxspect Gyre XF280 l Lighting: (3) 400w Halides & (3) AI Hydra 52 HD
shaginwagon13 is offline   Reply With Quote