Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/27/2017, 06:29 PM   #1
JayH
Registered Member

15g Tank want to add something else

Hello all I’m fairly new to this all, I have a 15g tank set up with quite a bit of live rock, and two clowns it’s also a bare bottom tank .. wanting to add more maybe even live plants but don’t know what’s easy starters/will go with the clowns. Thanks !

JayH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/27/2017, 06:53 PM   #2
Vincero
Registered Member

I have a 15 gallon tank too.

You shouldn't add too many more fish. With good filtration you could probably get away with one more that is of a similar size to your clowns, but most people will suggest stopping at two or -- if you must -- adding something small like a clown goby.

With good lighting and stable water parameters, you have lots of options for keeping a variety of corals in a 15 gallon. It all depends on the type of 'look' you're going for and the extent to which you're willing to do maintenance!!

I like what people refer to as a "bonsai" look. Basically, quite a lot of coral in a small place. This brings with it certain challenges, like minimising chemical warfare, stopping them from stinging each other, and keeping on top of each coral's unique needs.

My tank is only about five months old. I have a mixture of soft corals, LPS, and SPS. They're all doing very well, but boy do I put the work in!!

Vincero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/27/2017, 06:55 PM   #3
Vincero
Registered Member

I have a 15 gallon tank too.

You shouldn't add too many more fish. With good filtration you could probably get away with one more that is of a similar size to your clowns, but most people will suggest stopping at two or -- if you must -- adding something small like a clown goby.

With good lighting and stable water parameters, you have lots of options for keeping a variety of corals in a 15 gallon. It all depends on the type of 'look' you're going for and the extent to which you're willing to do maintenance!!

I like what people refer to as a "bonsai" look. Basically, quite a lot of coral in a small place. This brings with it certain challenges, like minimising chemical warfare, stopping them from stinging each other, and keeping on top of each coral's unique needs.

My tank is only about five months old. I have a mixture of soft corals, LPS, and SPS. They're all doing very well, but boy do I put the work in!!

Unread 09/27/2017, 06:55 PM   #4
Vincero
Registered Member

Sorry for the double post!!

Unread 09/27/2017, 08:59 PM   #5
Jon0807
Registered Member

I think you might want to stick with just the two clowns for now, fishwise that is. You can always add a shrimp. As for corals, zoas are a good starter coral.