Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/28/2017, 06:25 PM   #1
JWCB
Registered Member

LED Suggestions

Hello Everybody,

I'm in progress of setting up a a 120gal 60” long x 18” wide x 25” tall tank.

I've purchased a Current USA Orbit Marine Aquariurm LED Light set up
  • 46 Watts
  • 8,000k/12,000k white 96 LEDs
  • 445nm/460nm actinic blue 96 LEDs

I've received feedback that this just will not be enough for what I am looking to grow. I'd like to be able to support SPS, clams, RBTA, ricordia, and zoas.

This unit was fairly inexpensive ($200) and I really like many of the features it includes. Automated sunrise and sunset, moonlights, and fun gimmicky settings like lighting storm.

My question is would I be able to support what I am looking at growing by purchasing another bar of this same model. Or should I just return it and get a different setup? Ideally I would really like to stick with LEDs for the energy saving features, as well as the decreased heat output (I live in Arizona).

I was browsing another tread and came across http://www.ebay.com/itm/2PCS-Dimmabl...item5658e7c2e9

Any other suggestions would be greatly apprecaited.

JWCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2017, 04:45 AM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

return the current stuff.. not suitable for your tank depth/needs at all.. 2 won't help..

yes the typical "Chinese Black Box" LEDs will work far better than the currents..
2 would be "ok".. 3 would be better and then run them at maybe 50-60% power level..

A "better" choice (next step up basically) is this..https://www.reefbreeders.com/shop/photon-50-v2/
and you get the wifi/moonlight/sunrise/sunset,etc...

Unread 09/29/2017, 08:40 AM   #3
jda
Dogmatic Dinosaur

I agree that the light needs to go back.

Most of the Cheaper Chinese stuff can keep most of what you want if you choose SPS and clams well more suited to directional light source. MARs under powers their boxes, whereas others do not (this is what Ron Reefman says and I never looked into it, but this is squarely in the middle of his purview). EverGrow and the others have more output. I would use four of those if you are going to densely populate the tank - they do not really spread light outside of the footprint of the box very well. There are some PAR maps on a BRS infomercial that could help you see the pattern at which these types of lights distribute, which is very centered under the unit - use this as a rough guide and not gospel. These do not have as many features.

To me, the ReefBreeders are nearly the same light in a MUCH better looking package with more features. It is up to you to decide if you need those features, or not.

Heat is an issue in Arizona for MH type lights, but not for others. Electrical savings are not an issue anywhere. If you want something easy, a 4-6 bulb T5 will be the same wattage as running multiple LED panels at good strength - there is no synergy here... less wattage means less light... more means more.

jda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2017, 07:41 PM   #4
JWCB
Registered Member

Thanks for the info! I'm returning the current and the reef breeders are on the way!

JWCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2017, 01:49 PM   #5
reefteaser
Convince'em or confuse'em

Best value all around, very happy with my V2.

reefteaser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led