Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/02/2017, 06:56 PM   #1
CTaylor
Registered Member

Eshopps adv series sump any good? vs their non-advance sump

Hi,
What comments does anyone (ideally that has knowledge of these sumps) have?
First is the advanced series sump.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...8&pcatid=30998

Next is the refugium/sump
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...7&pcatid=30997

The main differences I can tell is that the first one is 2" more in depth (front to back) and the second one has its refugium section 'suspended' above ground level it seems.

The second one is far less $$.

Any input appreciated!

I have seen other sumps like the Banshea, but the only one that will fit in my 24x14 avail stand space is very skinny at 10" ... trigger's is too wide at 26". So I did look at those. Trigger was also too much $ for what I'm looking to spend.

**Dr Fosters and smith will at somepoint have the eshopps on sale again at 25% off

CTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/02/2017, 07:14 PM   #2
jstew600
Registered Member

I have used the adv refugium 300. It does not flow well in my opinion. I had to valve back my pump a lot. And the way it routes water not all the flow will go to the skimmer. Also I used an Eheim 1262 pump it barley fit in the pump section and the ATO float level just barley covered the pump. I replaced it after a few months. The water flowed slowly through the skimmer section which is were the probe holder is so every time my dosing pump added ALK the PH alarm would go off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jstew600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/02/2017, 07:24 PM   #3
CTaylor
Registered Member

JS., did you use the 3rd generation refugium or the advance sump?
I dont have a pH alarm, so that issue prob won't affect me
I will likely not use the level thing in the sump, because I'll be using a tunze auto level. Do you know if I HAVE to use the float valve included? I'm sure I don't have to (???)
My flow is low.. probably just about 300 gph max.. It's a seahorse tank.
I dont think it matters that much that not all the flow will go to the skimmer chamber. It' still a certain flow rate that always goes there. If half goes there, then 150 gph is passing to it. If it all goes there, then 300 GPH is going to the chamber. So I'm not too concerned. If it was for a full REEF/SPS, etc I might be more worried about it.
So far it might be fine for my use.
And I'm thinking that was for the advanced sump (first link). not the labeled 'refugium' .. (in the second link)

Thanks!

Unread 10/02/2017, 07:44 PM   #4
jstew600
Registered Member

It was the 3rd gen. I believe whether you use the float or another ATO you still can not go much above the factory water line label or it will overflow when pumps off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jstew600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/02/2017, 07:54 PM   #5
CTaylor
Registered Member

They are both "3rd generation" lol . And , well that water level that rises in the sump will depend on the amount of water that is above your return output to your tank.

Unread 10/02/2017, 10:38 PM   #6
CTaylor
Registered Member

I was looking at a youtube video of the advanced "sump" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8o595_-HVA&t=17s , and I'm not secure that it can hold all the water for when the return pump is shut off. Obviously that depends on the level of the output of the return pump and how much will drain into the overflow box when pump is shut off. This issue is so hard to determine for sure. I'm roughly calculating based on it's dimensions 5 gallons of water being able to drain into it unitl risk of overflow. I dont think I feel secure with that :-/ . The only sections that can take water on power out are the skimmer and the return pump sections.

Unread 10/02/2017, 10:57 PM   #7
CTaylor
Registered Member

I found this: https://www.marinedepot.com/Precisio...FIRFER-vi.html
THis looks like the winner . It's about same price as the ADV sump when that is 25% off , when you count DrsF charges tax -- almost exact same price. And this is precision marine.

Unread 10/03/2017, 10:27 AM   #8
GimpyFin
Registered Member

I have the R-300 3rd. gen and when I bought it, I also looked at the ADV version. I felt like the ADV was a little on the busy side and and I had no use for the extra media compartment. I do really like the R-300, though, for the cost. Both the R and the ADV 300 are the same overall size and have a decent amount of room for water when the pump shuts off (The layouts are a little confusing/misleading.) Not sure how much buffer you need, though. Once it drains/fills past a certain point where the grates are near the return, it starts to fill the rest of the sump chambers, except the refugium, which is higher than everything else.

Current Tank Info: 110 gallon
GimpyFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/03/2017, 10:40 AM   #9
CTaylor
Registered Member

Hi Gimpy. Thanks for that input as well! Though I did get the precision marine one. It seems to have more capacity for water drainage, since it at least seems to require less in it for actual operation than the eshopps ones, even with what you talked about (I think!). Plus it at least SEEMS best /sturdiest built overall. I'm just overly concerned more than others about leakage, water volume since i'm on the 4th floor of an apt building. And I have to minimize any possibility of water on the floor . Though if the PM was not on sale I would likely steered toward the Eshopps one.. Really good info here though in this thread.

Unread 12/03/2017, 06:34 PM   #10
Arcar
Registered Member

Anyone have exp with the Eshopps sump.reg? Im looking to get one just worried about the return pump area. I read that its a pain the the butt to get to, is this true? Also has anyone used the top off float in the back?

Thanks

Current Tank Info: New 120 Gallon
Arcar is offline   Reply With Quote