Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/03/2017, 06:46 AM   #1
Haggisman14
Registered Member

New Tank Cycle: With or Without Purigen/Chemipure

Hey everyone,

I'm starting up a new 29 gallon biocube, and am currently going through the cycle process (just started on Thursday). I do not plan on using a skimmer on this tank to start, however will be using the inTank Media basket with filter floss, purigen and chemipure blue.

I was wondering if I should wait until the cycle is over to introduce those items into the tank, or throw them in now as the tank is cycling.

Thank you so much!

Current Tank Info: Oceanic Biocube 29 Gallon, Kessil A160WE LED Light, inTank Media Basket w/Chemipure/Purigen combo
Haggisman14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/03/2017, 06:50 AM   #2
tjm9331
Registered Member

I would say to wait until after the cycle is complete, there's really nothing in the tank for the chemipure or purigen to filter out so it really wouldn't be doing anything at the start. I would just leave the filter floss in and let the tank cycle first, do your big water change at the end of the cycle add your fish then add the purigen and chemipure.

That's at least what I would do, it wouldn't hurt anything if you wanted to add it during the cycle...at least I don't think it would

tjm9331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/03/2017, 06:58 AM   #3
Haggisman14
Registered Member

I figured the same...leaving the floss, and just let the tank cycle on its own, as that's what the cycle is supposed to do.

Current Tank Info: Oceanic Biocube 29 Gallon, Kessil A160WE LED Light, inTank Media Basket w/Chemipure/Purigen combo
Haggisman14 is offline   Reply With Quote