Reef Central Online Community
Marine Depot

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Reply
Thread Tools
Old 10/05/2017, 02:49 AM   #1
Saltwater newby
Registered Member
 
Saltwater newby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 125
75 gallon reef tank is looking unpleasant

hello, I need help with my 75 gallon reef tank. I am currently dealing with some weird brown algae on my rock that I recently eliminated 99% with a sea hare but has made a come back after the sea hare died. I also have red cyano mainly on my sand bed and after 2 treatments with chemiclean it is still present and unfaced. I perform weekly 10 gallon water changes and I have incorporated gfo and carbon in a dual media reactor. I also keep a close eye on nutrient levels and don't see anything out of the ordinary.i do have a heavy bioload with 15 fish and my cleanup crew is on the light side. Another problem that I am having is with my leather corals and some soft corals that seem to not want to open much, not sure where this came from as they were doing just fine. I did run out of aqua forest reef salt and decided to go with Red Sea blue bucket for about 2 months now. I'm not sure if I have to restart my system or keep trying to figure out these problems. one thing is for sure, id love to keep my tank running for many years and I would love to save my system from a teardown or a tank crash.

9-16-2017-changed filters and di resin
Nitrates 5
Phosphates 6= 0.018
Salinity 1.026
Calcium 82ml 410
Alkalinity 64ml 9.0
Magnesium 70ml 1400

9-23-2027
Salinity 1.025.5
Nitrate 10
Phosphate 26 0.079
Alkalinity 0.60ml 8.4
Calcium 0.85ml 425
Magnesium 0.65ml 1320
thanks in advance


Saltwater newby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/05/2017, 04:53 AM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member
 
mcgyvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 17,235
post a few pictures of the tank including an upclose shot of some of the algae issues..

Your nitrate levels are rising per your tests same with phosphates indicating your nutrient export methods are not sufficient so increasing water changes is the first step..
The last post your had about this has some contradictory information so.... err..
did you stop GFO like we suggested?
Is that why your phoshpates are high now?
Your nitrates are also increasing..

You might just be overfeeding..
But we need a straight story on this post and your last one about which GFO to run.. The information isn't really agreeing..

There is NO need to restart your system with what I expect are really minor issues.
And if you don't learn to take care of them its just going to happen again..


__________________
Being blunt and having fun
mcgyvr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10/05/2017, 08:23 AM   #3
WatDatThing
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 767
Base on the info here. I think you are over feeding. How are you feeding, how often and how much? I feed a small pinch at a time, and let them eat before I give more. When they stop begging for food, I stop feeding. Very little food actually make it to the substrate.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk


WatDatThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/05/2017, 09:43 AM   #4
FoxFace Fish
Registered Member
 
FoxFace Fish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 411
Could you show some pictures?


__________________
FoxFace RabbitFish For Life
Everyone in this hobby has made a mistake at least once. Be smart and learn from others mistakes

Current Tank Info: Reason I am broke as a joke
FoxFace Fish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10/05/2017, 11:26 AM   #5
Saltwater newby
Registered Member
 
Saltwater newby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
post a few pictures of the tank including an upclose shot of some of the algae issues..

Your nitrate levels are rising per your tests same with phosphates indicating your nutrient export methods are not sufficient so increasing water changes is the first step..
The last post your had about this has some contradictory information so.... err..
did you stop GFO like we suggested?
Is that why your phoshpates are high now?
Your nitrates are also increasing..

You might just be overfeeding..
But we need a straight story on this post and your last one about which GFO to run.. The information isn't really agreeing..
hello

There is NO need to restart your system with what I expect are really minor issues.
And if you don't learn to take care of them its just going to happen again..
Hello! I started GFO not that long ago. Looking st my brs orders history I got my GFO in mid June 2017.I had always used carbon but then started incorporating the GFO together with the carbon in the same reactor. But then ran out of it and was thinking ordering rowa or brs gfo but I ended up going with brs brand. I haven’t used it yet it just Came in Today. I did cut out NOPOX so maybe that’s why the nitrates show to be a bit higher and the same goes for the gfo. I ran out of it and hadn’t ordered any so that marvel showed the spike In the po4 levels.
This picture is the only one in my phone you can see a little bit of the algae here.


Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6BEAE38D-0097-4BA5-876B-70D9AE41B34F.jpg (87.7 KB, 72 views)
Saltwater newby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/05/2017, 11:33 AM   #6
Bobbitworm13
Registered Member
 
Bobbitworm13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Russell Springs, KY
Posts: 312
I would add the Gfo back slowly and keep supplements that you use with at least one spare bottle in the future. Get the no4po3x if you liked what it was doing and keep dosing, make sure to order more when you get low. Your corals are probably closed up due to parameter swings. Hth


Bobbitworm13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/05/2017, 11:40 AM   #7
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone
 
Uncle99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,703
Yup, some green algae, but does not seem bad to me. All tanks have some algae. No pox only masks the underlying conditions, but as already stated, export seems too low so double the water changes and half the frequency.

What about lightings?

Algae uses light, without light it will die. What is your photoperiod?
What type of light are you using. As lights age, the colour spectrum changes and algae becomes more.


Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/05/2017, 11:58 AM   #8
rjkrejci
Premium Member
 
rjkrejci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Ohio
Posts: 92
Looks like your nitrate and phosphate exports (NoPox carbon dosing with skimming and GFO) are no longer functional, so the algae is stepping in to fill their role.

GFO will reduce Phosphates, but you'll probably want to export the Nitrates as well. NoPox with an excellent skimmer should reduce both.


rjkrejci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/05/2017, 01:07 PM   #9
Saltwater newby
Registered Member
 
Saltwater newby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatDatThing View Post
Base on the info here. I think you are over feeding. How are you feeding, how often and how much? I feed a small pinch at a time, and let them eat before I give more. When they stop begging for food, I stop feeding. Very little food actually make it to the substrate.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
Hello
I feed lrs and nori
Nori in the morning and afternoon or evening is Lrs. I do like you feed a bit then feed a bit more once itís all gone. I never dump it all.


Saltwater newby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/05/2017, 03:36 PM   #10
Saltwater newby
Registered Member
 
Saltwater newby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbitworm13 View Post
I would add the Gfo back slowly and keep supplements that you use with at least one spare bottle in the future. Get the no4po3x if you liked what it was doing and keep dosing, make sure to order more when you get low. Your corals are probably closed up due to parameter swings. Hth
I forgot to mention earlier that the reason I discontinued the carbon dozing was because I was introducing a Chaeto reactor which is still running but itís not quite growing much chaeto. The algae is a little worse on tithe rocks I just donít have another picture on hand.


Saltwater newby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/05/2017, 03:43 PM   #11
Saltwater newby
Registered Member
 
Saltwater newby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle99 View Post
Yup, some green algae, but does not seem bad to me. All tanks have some algae. No pox only masks the underlying conditions, but as already stated, export seems too low so double the water changes and half the frequency.

What about lightings?

Algae uses light, without light it will die. What is your photoperiod?
What type of light are you using. As lights age, the colour spectrum changes and algae becomes more.
I am Running three Radeon XR 15 Gen 4 pro they have been running for almost a year and I have turned off the red and green spectrum and I run a 10 hour cycle on my lights @ 40% intensity Max. I also took off the nopox because I heard carbon dosing can also lead to cyano.


Saltwater newby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/05/2017, 07:04 PM   #12
Saltwater newby
Registered Member
 
Saltwater newby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 125
I took some better pictures to show whats going on but for some reason I cannot upload the file,it says file upload fail.

I am using a MacBook Pro but I can't figure out the issue with the picture.


Saltwater newby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/06/2017, 11:45 AM   #13
WatDatThing
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltwater newby View Post
Hello
I feed lrs and nori
Nori in the morning and afternoon or evening is Lrs. I do like you feed a bit then feed a bit more once itís all gone. I never dump it all.
I guess we can eliminate feeding. I have a lawnmower blenny and he lives up to his name. I read starry blenny also eats algae and it is prettier. That aside, we still need to find a way to keep PO and NO in check.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk


WatDatThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/06/2017, 12:40 PM   #14
reefgeezer
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Wichita KS
Posts: 2,480
What skimmer are you using? Still using GAC? Adequate lights/flow on cheato reactor?


__________________
John,

Current Tank Info: In-process, 90 Gallon SPS Reef
reefgeezer is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:55 AM.


TapaTalk Enabled

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2018 Axivo Inc.
Use of this web site is subject to the terms and conditions described in the user agreement.
Reef CentralTM Reef Central, LLC. Copyright ©1999-2014
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.