Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10/06/2017, 09:06 AM   #1
crewcheifgtaa
Registered Member

no top

I have a 120 gal. tank with a canopy but no type of cover over the water. I seem to get alot of water evaporation. My question is. do I add a glass top over water or are there other options to help minimize water evap?

Thanks in advance

crewcheifgtaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/06/2017, 09:11 AM   #2
Gweeds
Registered Member

A/c and ambient temperature have an effect on evap... the closer the temp to that of the tank the less the evaporation will be. A/c dries the air out, so increasing evaporation. However, all of that pales into insignificance compared to putting glass on the top... I have a large open top tank and lose 30 litres a week!! So I know how this feels!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Gweeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/06/2017, 09:16 AM   #3
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Yes adding a top can certainly reduce evaporation..
However.. realize that gas exchange (oxygen/nitrogen,etc...) is pretty critical in aquariums so there is a point where you can be causing more problems than you are solving..
But if you have a sump with a skimmer down there then thats likely enough exchange and you can slap a lid on the tank..

I'm not sure if there is any real data/experiments on how tight a lid can be before it causes problems..
I always run with no top and just accept evaporation for what it is..
Evaporation also helps with removing heat from a tank (if thats an issue) and reducing evap will increase temps

Old 10/06/2017, 09:39 AM   #4
crewcheifgtaa
Registered Member

both replies make lots of sense. I have 2 tanks that are pretty much identical setups. One at home and one in my office. The office tank has a glass top and room temp stays appox. 75-78* steady. the evap seems to be much less than other tank which has canopy and no glass. So that was my reason for asking. I will be ordering a top for the home tank and report back my findings. thanks for the input.

crewcheifgtaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/06/2017, 02:37 PM   #5
billdogg
Registered Member

I had a glass top; on my 60g cube (no sump) for about 20 years. I thought it was a good looking tank, but never "great" Then I broke the top. Rather than replace it with more glass, I made a DIY screen top. And never looked back. Literally within days things were perking up. I had never realized what an effect that little change could make. I wish I had done it about 2 decades sooner.

Sure, you lose more water to evaporation, but so what? Either install a ATO, or just do like I still do to this day and just check and top it off as needed.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, ASM G2 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, no skimmer (yet)
billdogg is online now   Reply With Quote