Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/06/2017, 09:58 AM   #1
vinman
Registered Member

Hitchiker crab Id please

Been reading about Gorilla type crabs or non safe reef hitchiker crabs. Found this little guy in my Montipora and there was some bleaching around the area where he was hiding. Am I to assume he's been eating the coral?

I caught him and here he is? Is this one i don't want?

Thanks!

vinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/06/2017, 01:05 PM   #2
slief
RC Sponsor

Looks like a Teddy Bear Crab. If it is, it's generally considered to not be reef safe.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/06/2017, 01:07 PM   #3
billdogg
Registered Member

I toss guys like that into my Frag Tank's sump where there is a ton of live rock and not much else. They're happy?, I'm happy, and the corals are not bothered any longer

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/06/2017, 01:36 PM   #4
vinman
Registered Member

Thanks for the responses. I heard most "hairy" crabs are not good and better safe than sorry plus i'm pretty sure the bleached part of the montipora is where is has been feasting. I have a backpack fuge in the back of my nano i guess is where i could throw him but i head if these crabs are specific type of eaters (e.g coral eating) without this particular food it will perish anyway.

Unread 10/06/2017, 01:57 PM   #5
xCry0x
Registered Member

I threw my undesirable hitchhiker crabs in the aggressive FOWLR tank we had at work.

Unread 10/06/2017, 02:46 PM   #6
Jekerry
Registered Member

This might be too gruesome, but does anyone kill them like by freezing and them use them for food for the tank? Seems better than just letting them die.

Jekerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/06/2017, 08:22 PM   #7
mikenh77
Registered Member

I found a crab just like that in my mixed reef. Ate sps polyps and a couple small clowns. Never found out the name.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mikenh77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/06/2017, 08:47 PM   #8
StinkinTuna
Registered Member

I had a similar crab back when I had ny 300g.

Didn't bother a thing and I fed it during feeding time. I actually thought it was one of the coolest inhabitants in my tank!

Here's my experience with mine, have some big pics of it in this thread and got some of the old pics working again so you can compare to your crab ( this was back in 06):
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=752679

Keep your crab and see how he does. Most peeps that saw my tank thought it was cooler than all my fish lol! I HOPE to get a crab like that again when I order my lr for my current setup!

He never bothered coral or fish. Maybe keeping him well fed was the rrick, maybe I just got lucky.

StinkinTuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/06/2017, 10:48 PM   #9
vinman
Registered Member

Man,yours is way hairy. Mine is not as much and to reply to mikenh77, not sure how large your crab was to eat small clowns but mine is one quarter the size of a dime.

He is in the fuge now.

Tags
crab, hitchiker