Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/19/2017, 01:11 AM   #1
o2manyfish
Registered Member

Did you lose your tank to the hurricanesin Tx or FL, I want to Help

Hey there,

If you were one of the many people who lost a reef tank to the hurricanes in Texas or Florida I would like to help you get back up and running.

Nothing fancy, but I have lots and lots of Montis, Acros and Xenia.

I am happy to donate the corals. No strings, no tricks, you lost corals, I have corals and I want you to have corals again.

I know that there are lots of hobbyists that lost tanks. To make things easier on me I would like to donate to clubs in the areas that lost tanks. This way I can just ship a box or two to one location and help out several hobbyists.

Hopefully, someone in each club has access to a discounted Fedex account and the club could pick up the shipping expense. I will take care of the packing costs.

I also have a great relationship with Unique Corals and can add donation corals to an order shipping out of Unique.

I am serious about this, I have several hundred frags just sitting in my backyard.

I sympathize that many of you lost tanks, but I don't have the time to help you all out individually. So rather than everyone putting up their hand and saying me, me, me - Please coordinate with your local reef club and say - Hey Dave, We had 10 club members lose tanks, our next meeting is Nov 99. Could you help us out.

Also, this is not a one time offer. I know that some of you have lost much more than your aquariums, and the aquarium is not the first priority in rebuilding.

This offer does not have a time limit. As long as my system doesn't have any bad luck I am happy to do this at any point in time in the future.
Dave B

PS - If you want to see some of my extra frags - live webcam -- when the sun is up the lights are on --- www.o2manyfish.com/fragtank

Current Tank Info: 560g SPS Dominant Reef / 1500g Total System
o2manyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2017, 01:44 AM   #2
wij
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2manyfish View Post
Hey there,

If you were one of the many people who lost a reef tank to the hurricanes in Texas or Florida I would like to help you get back up and running.

Nothing fancy, but I have lots and lots of Montis, Acros and Xenia.

I am happy to donate the corals. No strings, no tricks, you lost corals, I have corals and I want you to have corals again.

I know that there are lots of hobbyists that lost tanks. To make things easier on me I would like to donate to clubs in the areas that lost tanks. This way I can just ship a box or two to one location and help out several hobbyists.

Hopefully, someone in each club has access to a discounted Fedex account and the club could pick up the shipping expense. I will take care of the packing costs.

I also have a great relationship with Unique Corals and can add donation corals to an order shipping out of Unique.

I am serious about this, I have several hundred frags just sitting in my backyard.

I sympathize that many of you lost tanks, but I don't have the time to help you all out individually. So rather than everyone putting up their hand and saying me, me, me - Please coordinate with your local reef club and say - Hey Dave, We had 10 club members lose tanks, our next meeting is Nov 99. Could you help us out.

Also, this is not a one time offer. I know that some of you have lost much more than your aquariums, and the aquarium is not the first priority in rebuilding.

This offer does not have a time limit. As long as my system doesn't have any bad luck I am happy to do this at any point in time in the future.
Dave B

PS - If you want to see some of my extra frags - live webcam -- when the sun is up the lights are on --- www.o2manyfish.com/fragtank
What a great gesture my hat off to you sir they should be more people like you in the world

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

wij is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2017, 03:38 AM   #3
johnike
Moved On

How incredibly nice.

johnike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2017, 04:51 AM   #4
alton
Registered Member

This is awesome, way to go and thanks for doing this.

alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2017, 07:20 AM   #5
Jndragon79
Registered Member

Wow, what an awesome gesture.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Jndragon79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2017, 07:40 AM   #6
ReefMaster48
Registered Member

Don't know anyone down there, but hope you can help some people out! Awesome man!

ReefMaster48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2017, 05:04 PM   #7
billdogg
Registered Member

Very cool of you to make this generous offer!

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2017, 06:33 PM   #8
lionfish300
Registered Member

Very cool, generous and thoughtful of you. Yes we do need more of you in this world

lionfish300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2017, 06:58 PM   #9
NASAGeek
Registered Member

That's super cool of you.

My house got 52" of rain during Hurricane Harvey... and all of that in a 3 day period. It was crazy. This instantiation of my tank is new (we recently moved and I bought a new, bigger tank)... I've barely started stocking it. I didn't lose any live stock.... I was lucky in that respect. On the other hand, my entire APEX system got fried. APEX Controller, 3 EB8's, PM2, ALD, AWM.... all fried. I'm guessing a power surge got it all. Yes... I now have surge protectors....

Honestly though, I am super fortunate. The APEX stuff was fried. We had minor landscape damage... but that was it. The water was hip deep in our street... it came literally to our door step.... another 1/4" higher and our house would've been flooded. Everything around us was DEVASTATED. It's like a war zone. But we somehow only got minor damage.

We've been spending our time trying to help folks that lost EVERYTHING. The worst for them is only 17% of folks flooded had flood insurance. I don't have flood insurance. It's not because everyone is crazy... it's because we all live well above the 100 year flood plain and we got a 1000 year flood. Thus, everyone got hit BAD. My losses are nothing compared to the folks that lost everything without insurance.

NASAGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2017, 07:33 PM   #10
no1bubba
Registered Member

You are above all a blessed man and did not make this overly generous offer to read our nice guy platitudes, you did it out of love. May God bless you 1000 fold for your already rich heart. Be Blessed

no1bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2017, 07:57 PM   #11
biecacka
Registered Member

Dave,
Very generous offer from you and it goes to show the type of character you and many in this community have. Thank you so much for your kindness.

Corey

biecacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2017, 02:26 AM   #12
Gorgok
Registered Member

Very generous offer there.

Considering how much else got destroyed, my tank was fine. We got about 20" of water inside (floors are about 7 feet above ground too, the numbers for flow/volume are insane to get that much water). That 20" was about 6" below the sump rim, so i kept the circulation running the entire time (checking often as it was still rising to see if/when i'd have to isolate the tank from sump). To prepare i had removed all the electronics in the stand, lifted important stuff up and disconnecting the less important. Didn't run lights or feed for about a week but after that i started to run it more and more normal. Other than the tank sitting in the middle of a room with little walls and no floors its perfectly fine now. Moving a full tank and sump was actually pretty easy with a good metal stand.

Gorgok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2017, 04:53 AM   #13
Grayhead
Registered Member

Super nice offer. What a way to free up space, and help people in need. Kindness is something society is lacking.

2- MP 40, 1- Vectra M1 return pump, Build thread below
http:
Grayhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2017, 11:51 AM   #14
tripdad
Frustrated Stick Gardener

You sir just proved the entire United States media service wrong! People are mostly good, you are awesome!

Current tank: 65 gal DSA rimless, mixed reef, 20 gal sump, T5 6bulb, big skimmer, 40B Fowler, 20 gal sump, 4 bulb T5
tripdad is offline   Reply With Quote