Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/09/2017, 06:32 PM   #26
Lsufan
Registered Member

I wouldn’t even bother testing nitrates until u have 0 nitrite. Nitrite can make the nitrate test have false results.

As far as Dr tims, I’ve used it & biospira & they both had similar results. I don’t think they sped up my cycle overall. What they did was process the ammonia to nitrite rather quickly so I had 0 ammonia. Nitrite would stay high for 2 to 4 weeks & the overall cycle still took 30 to 45 Days. After my results I assumed the reason they say u can add fish so quickly is because it’s processes the ammonia to nitrite quickly & nitrite isn’t really toxic in saltwater at the levels we see.

Last edited by Lsufan; 11/09/2017 at 06:46 PM.
Lsufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2017, 08:56 AM   #27
MMOORE0324
Registered Member

I️ cycled my last build with Dr. Tim’s and it took about 8 days. 100% dry rock and Carib-sea Ocean Direct Sand. On my previous builds I️ cycled with a dead shrimp and it took about a month. So while it doesn’t happen as quickly as their marketing suggests, I think it definitely works. And I️ like that you can add a bottle down the road if you pull some rock out and you see your bio filter not working as efficiently anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MMOORE0324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2017, 09:27 AM   #28
mitchrapp
Registered Member

On a previous tank build with dry rock, dry sand, and Dr. Tim's, it took over 12 weeks for my nitrites to go to 0 within 24 hours. On my current build, also with dry rock, dry sand, and Dr. Tim's, I'm at 7 days and ammonia has not come down to 0 from the initial dose of 2 ppm.

mitchrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2017, 09:54 AM   #29
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

I️ think i have to try this. I have a new build that I think is too sterile. After 2 weeks, all tests 0. So I started adding flake food everyday. After a month everything is still 0. I️ just added a cube of mysis a couple days ago and have not tested. If it is still 0, i will get a bottle of dr Tim’s. I️ don’t remember ever cycling a tank this long and was thinking my tank would be ready by now. I️ want the tank cycled by thanksgiving.

I just checked, everything is still 0.

how long exactly do flake food and mysis shrimp take to decay? I doubt the tank is completely 100% bacteria free even with new rock and sand.

Last edited by d0ughb0y; 11/10/2017 at 10:48 AM.
d0ughb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2017, 10:52 AM   #30
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

checking amazon, is it Dr Tim's One and Only for Reef?
or is there another product?

d0ughb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2017, 06:46 PM   #31
Bulldog39
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0ughb0y View Post
checking amazon, is it Dr Tim's One and Only for Reef?
or is there another product?
That's it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Bulldog39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/09/2018, 03:36 PM   #32
saf1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James404 View Post
I used 100% dry pukani rock and was ready for CUC within a week. It definitely worked for me, and I've cycled quite a few tanks the old fashioned way.
BRS dry Pukani by any chance and if so did you measure the phosphates? Everything I've read with regards to the Pukani rock is that it is really great stuff but has a noticeable phosphate issue. Dr. Tim's solution doesn't recommend running filters, media, or skimmers during the initial dose. So if the rock has a phosphate problem little you can do I would think until you can start media or water changes.

Then again I'm not too keen on water changes to reduce phosphates. To me it seems like a lot of work and money for little change. Figured I'd ask because I'm starting this process over the weekend. I have 150 pounds of it coming so just now setting up my game plan...

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon mixed reef
saf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/09/2018, 04:37 PM   #33
Blue spot
Registered Member

Cycled mine with dr Tim’s and wrote a thread on it worked for me . It was just everything else I messed up

Blue spot is offline   Reply With Quote