Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/05/2017, 08:59 AM   #1
reefnoob88
Registered Member

Feeding my rose bubble tip anemone?

I have had this anemone for about a three weeks and its been doing great no problems. My small clowns have decided they like it too and have started hosting it very cool to watch. At my lfs I got some pellets they recommended to feed the anemone. I followed the instructions they gave me which was to sprinkle a small pinch about 4 pellets above the anemone. The anemone grabbed them, semi closed for a few seconds and then opened up. I could see the 4 pellets in its mouth but my clown stole them? Should I try again or just wait a few days?

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

reefnoob88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/05/2017, 09:13 AM   #2
Cliving1
Registered Member

You can try feeding the clown first so its not hungry when feeding the anemone. If there is food in the water it may also be preoccupied and wont be in the anemone. Just depends. Try feeding mysis to the anemone.

Cliving1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/05/2017, 09:40 AM   #3
Fiver
Registered Member

Just feed your fish and your anemone should be fine. On the very rare occasion I have spot fed my anemone the frozen food I feed my fish, but mostly, I leave it alone and it's been fine for the two years I've had it.

Sounds like your store is trying to sell you more things you don't need. I'd be cautious of their advice in the future.

Good luck.

Fiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/05/2017, 10:00 AM   #4
davocean
Registered Member

Or LFS just does not know, many are naive when it comes to nems.

I agree mysis would be better, but in reality if your light is good they don't need to be spot fed at all.

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/05/2017, 10:19 AM   #5
humphreyhh
Registered Member

I feed mine chopped shrimps. The clown might go towards the shrimp but always give up when the nem grabs it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

humphreyhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/05/2017, 10:45 AM   #6
davocean
Registered Member

Yeah raw shrimp works, and my go to is scallop, small piece, clowns don't know what to do w/ either really, but a new nem I either don't feed at all or keep it light w/ mysis, and I don't spot feed my nems but once a month if even that, but I'm sure they pick up mysis at fish feeding.

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
Unread 11/05/2017, 11:06 AM   #7
WatDatThing
Registered Member

I feed my BTA a chunk of market shrimp every 2 weeks or so. The clowns won't touch it.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

WatDatThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/05/2017, 02:48 PM   #8
reefnoob88
Registered Member

Thank you for the responses, I am using the Kessil a360 for lighting is that enough? I should have been more clear, my local fish store has been absolutely wonderful and knows anemones. They told me that the anemone does not need food and feeds from the light. I was asking about feeding mine because I read in the archives after searching why mine doesnt bubble up like some i have seen online that spot feeding sometimes helps? Also encourages them to split as well? The local fish store in question said thats probably true but may be anecdotal? They also suggested the pellets over live or frozen food because if you feed too much the anemone cant get it out and it rots inside.

reefnoob88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/05/2017, 04:25 PM   #9
humphreyhh
Registered Member

Mine can eat everyday if I feed them their mouth-sized chopped shrimp (they never spit food out). I don’t know if my feeding encourages split but yes mine split couple of months after got them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

humphreyhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/05/2017, 05:37 PM   #10
davocean
Registered Member

Feeding bigger chunks of food take more energy to digest, and too often can and will most likely cause a stress induced split.

I don't notice mine ever closing up or pulling in pellets, maybe they pull some in, maybe.

Kessil is fine for BTA