Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 12/30/2017, 04:49 PM   #1
Atomic081
Registered Member

What can you do with a BIG tank?

Im in the process of building a new house (roof going up next week) and have had the architect account for a 750 gallon tank. The dimensions would be 10x4x30. Im planning on building the tank out of plywood myself to save money. I build custom homes for a living and working with wood is my life. So a wood tank doesnt scare me as long as its build correct.

I see lots of 8x4x30 tanks being built from plywood because thats the size of a standard piece of plywood. I was planning on doing the 10 tank because I can get 10 plywood. I know the 8 will work but because Ive never seen a 10 Im a little scared. I dont want 750 gallons in my basement man cave.

So my question: What can I put in a 10 tank that wont go in a 8 tank? Do I be the first one to do a 10 tank or just settle for a 8?

INDMAS Member

Current Tank Info: 800 Gallon Inwall
Atomic081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/30/2017, 05:12 PM   #2
Misled
RC Mod

There may not be much you can put in a 10 that you can't put in a 8, but that really isn't the point is it? Go for the 10 now, you know that's what you want!!! You're not gonna be able to go, Honey, I want to add two more feet to the tank.

Current Tank Info: 80 gallon rimless Deep Blue lagoon under construction
Misled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/31/2017, 03:39 AM   #3
oldhead
Registered Member

I'd do the 10'. My basement dream tank would be 14' with 2 viewing windows. Basically find a cheap 125 gallon and use the front and back panels for the windows. Tank would be 14x3x2ft high.

oldhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/31/2017, 09:14 AM   #4
lionfish300
Registered Member

I went from a 6 to 8' an it full. Give me a 10 I can find things to do. Need a lot of money tho lol

lionfish300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/31/2017, 09:51 AM   #5
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

An aquarium is like storage ...... 'crap' simply proliferates to fill the available space. In other words, regardless of size, the tank will be full at some point. Bigger tanks just take longer for that to happen. BUT, 10' versus 8' will allow space for larger or more fish, and larger coral colonies. I just installed an 8' tank - considered 10' but ultimately felt I wouldn't gain all that much.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/31/2017, 10:26 AM   #6
scubadan206
Registered Member

A big tank like this you will want two layers of plywood anyway so you can overlap. More strength and security.
With a ten foot length you get closer to a natural environment for the fish. That's the ultimate goal for us, for the animals to behave like they would in nature. Animals that feel closed in behave like they are....

scubadan206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/31/2017, 12:17 PM   #7
HippieSmell
Occupy Reef Central

With ten feet, I'd feel more comfortable keeping the larger tangs. Having said that, go twelve feet.

Current Tank Info: 78"x36"x27" acrylic, 6 Orphek Atlantik V3+ Compacts, MRC Orca Pro II w/washdown, CalcFeeder Pro AC3, Emperor Aquatics 80w UV, 80/20 aluminum stand, Vortech MP60's, Theiling Rollermat, GHL Profilux 3.1T EX, Kessil H380
HippieSmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/02/2018, 09:50 AM   #8
2wheelsonly
Registered Member

If you're like me you will always want to go bigger!

Started with a 40g, moved to a 75g then to a 150g and now at 96x30x24 300g. My current dream tank is 120x48x36 and IF I ever move again I will make sure I have a large space that can be built around a tank of that dimension.

I went with larger tanks to hold more fish and to have schools of tangs. My current 300g allows me to have a school of yellow tangs and house my favorite fish the powder blue. I originally wanted the 300 to also house an Achilles but I changed my mind as I read more about them and would rather not kill one due to the difficulty. I now want a sohal tang but will need to go larger than my 300 hence my desire for the 900!

2wheelsonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/02/2018, 12:31 PM   #9
HidingReefer
Registered Member

GO 10! Like many have said there really isn't a world of difference between the 8-foot tank and the 10-foot tank, but simply having a larger tank feels better
It would be terrible if you built the 8-foot and realized you wanted the ten-foot.

Also with a ten-foot tank, you can basically keep any tang that is offered to us as hobbyists.

HidingReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/02/2018, 12:46 PM   #10
Reefpuck
Registered Member

With a 10' tank at least you'll have a little more room to swim around while cleaning it.

Current Tank Info: 90g mixed reef w/ 55g sump/fuge.
Reefpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/02/2018, 12:54 PM   #11
Sk8r
RC Mod

You have several choices for use of a big tank---either a home for fishes (including some that eat corals) of some size that can use that length or a home for corals and little fishes that stake out territory along the length of the rockwork and pretty well observe the territories they might have in the wild. The one is something you can glance at and enjoy, the other more the sort of thing you maintain a chair and sit and sip, watching the interactions.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, 2 firefish, 2 chromis, royal gramma basslet, starry blenny, chestnut turbo snails, bristleworms, couple of hermits.
Sk8r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01/02/2018, 11:17 PM   #12
faterikcartman
Registered Member

As an aside, I used to work for a rich and famous guy with a giant tank across the back of his bar. I used to wonder how the heck they got it in there. I finally saw pictures of the crane lowering it into place — before the roof went on the house as it was under construction. The OP’s post reminded me of that. Just food for thought for folks dreaming big. Of course I’ve since also seen glass tanks built in place.

faterikcartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/04/2018, 08:00 PM   #13
Atomic081
Registered Member

Looks like Im going to need to overbuild a 10 tank and pray it doesnt bust down the road. Thanks everyone

INDMAS Member

Current Tank Info: 800 Gallon Inwall
Atomic081 is offline   Reply With Quote