Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11/07/2017, 03:21 AM   #1
MarliesM
Registered Member

Black ich (Paravortex)

Hi everyone,

I have a special request, and hope someone might help me out on this. I am a PhD student in the Zoology lab at Hasselt University, Belgium. I am currently working on evolution of endosymbiotic (i.e. living inside the body of another species) flatworms.

One of the flatworm species I am interested in is Paravortex sp. (Turbellaria, Rhabdocoela). I know both from literature, as well as from diverse hobby forums, that this worm can cause tremendous damage in saltwater aquaria. It causes the so-called "black spot disease" or "black ich" in various species of marine fish. As the name implies, the disease is characterised by the appearance of several small, black spots all over the fish. Especially tangs appear to be quite vulnerable to the infection.

However, until now, the species has never been studied in depth, and that's where I need your help. I am looking for someone who is currently dealing with a black ich infection in his or her tank, and who is willing to send over some pictures of the animals, or, if possible, to even send over a couple of worms to Belgium (e.g. in alcohol or formaldehyde). I will of course cover any shipping costs and, if you are interested, will keep you up to date on my research of the worms.
If you are the person I am looking for, or if you know someone who could help me out on this, please let me know. Thank you in advance!

Cheers,
Marlies

MarliesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/07/2017, 04:05 PM   #2
JustinM
Registered Member

I can’t help you much but I can bump the thread for you. Hope you can find someone to help you

JustinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/08/2017, 11:30 AM   #3
Jongalt26
Registered Member

Wow!
Last night i did a fresh water dip on a powder blue tang and notices 2 small black spots on his body and a couple more on his fins. I suspect this is black ich and have been researching treatment methods. I also have an achilles tang int he same QT but i doubt i will see any on him, maybe his fins. I'll know more tonight after i FW dip him.

Anyways, i can help with what i can, under the assumption it is indeed black ich.

I could treat with a prazi dip in a specimen container and save the fall off. I have 91% rubbing alcohol on hand that i can use to ship, or cant get formalin should that work similar to actual formaldehyde. Feel free to email me directly, user name at gmail. I'll also subscribe to this post.

Jongalt26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/04/2018, 10:33 AM   #4
MarliesM
Registered Member

Hi Jongalt!
Thanks for your reply, I'm so sorry I did not see this earlier! I wish I had gotten an email notification or something.. I assume you have by now been able to get rid of your worms? Thanks for thinking about this thread though!
Cheers,
Marlies

MarliesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/04/2018, 10:57 AM   #5
Jongalt26
Registered Member

Yea sorry, that stinks that the forums didnt email you!

Jongalt26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black ich, black spot disease, parasites, paravortex, turbellaria