Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 01/02/2018, 08:46 PM   #1
KarenLR75
Registered Member

Aquascaping/Rock/Glue Questions

I'm not the aqua-scaper of our tank so I have a very stupid question(s) to ask...what do most of you use to glue rock work together...super glue?

Also, despite what you use, have you had INCREDIBLE difficulty trying to AUGMENT your aqua-scape once you've filled your tank and then realized you need to create move caves/hidey-holes?

My logical side says "of course it's more difficult as initial 'scape' was done and 'cured' together in a dry tank until we added water. We had no livestock nor sand in the tank to worry about when we re-positioned something.

We could pull the rocks out of the tank in order to 'line up' anything we wanted to add in terms of height, stackability, fit, etc.

I've heard of others having a bit of struggle trying to create caves/hidey holes after the fact and was wondering if there were any tips that helped you in this situation. I do think we need to let new pieces 'cure/dry' longer than 30 minutes but I honestly don't remember.

Last edited by KarenLR75; 01/06/2018 at 07:30 PM. Reason: worded sentence incorrectly
KarenLR75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/03/2018, 07:34 AM   #2
RobZilla04
Registered Member

Try searching reef putty. You can use those products to connect Rock work together. Of course it's difficult to adjust once the tank is running but that doesn't mean it's impossible. You just have to be careful.

Old 01/03/2018, 07:39 AM   #3
hijinks
Registered Member

My advice is search images and find a look you like and try to emulate it. As for rock work a lot of the people that do the really nice rock work use a 2 part marine epoxy and they drill the rock and insert like acrylic rod with epoxy to hold the rock together.

hijinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/03/2018, 08:07 AM   #4
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

I think putty works the best but I never glue my rock work together.
This is because I sometimes needs to take it apart or move the rocks somewhat.
I stack my rock work at the store starting with the biggies on the bottom until I have a general picture. I sometimes use Very small bit of putty to glue the small rocks but only when needed.

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/03/2018, 08:13 AM   #5
Diana A
Registered Member

Try Aquaforest Stone Fix. I have Walt Smith Reef Rock which is extremely dense....heavy. I created hang-overs by using this product.

Current Tank Info: 60g SPS started May 2014 bare bottom.
Diana A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01/03/2018, 09:12 AM   #6
top shelf
Registered Member

I used and really like the aquamaxx reef welder. There little plastic pellets that you can heat up in water and use like a putty. It doesn't permanently fix the rocks together like a glue or epoxy would so you can always change it later without a lot of hassle and can be used on a running system without affecting your skimmer either. If you don't like your scape or need to rearrange just heat the putty back up and try again.

Current tank info: 45g SCA Cube
top shelf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01/03/2018, 09:20 AM   #7
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Personally I never have used anything to glue the rock together. Unless you are doing some extravagant archways I feel it is more of a hassle than anything. Both setting up and tearing down if there is an issue.

It is very difficult to remove fish in an emergency if you cannot pull the rock out of the tank.

I start aquascaping by finding my base rocks, then I cut the bottoms flat with a hacksaw. These go directly on the bottom of the tank. After that I make sure each rock placed is stable and will not move. Sand is added last.

tkeracer619 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01/03/2018, 09:51 AM   #8
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

Superglue works well for small rock rubble and frags. Epoxy putty for bugger rock.

You can also drill holes in rock (with a concrete bit) and insert acrylic rods to help give you something to lock the rock together.

It's as much an art as a science. Knowing the techniques helps but ultimately you just have to get creative and/or accept the limited ways your given rocks will stack.

"It is my personal belief that reef aquaria should be thriving communities of biodiversity, representative of their wild counterparts, and not merely collections of pretty specimens growing on tidy clean rock shelves covered in purple coralline algae." (Eric Borneman)
der_wille_zur_macht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/06/2018, 12:21 AM   #9
stonedage
Registered Member

Fiji Crete. Best you can find for building reef forms out of rock.

stonedage is offline   Reply With Quote