Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply
Thread Tools
Old 01/03/2018, 06:59 AM   #1
intenseimage
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Northampton, PA
Posts: 1,141
120 tank options

We are getting a new 120rr soon and have a few options to consider in regards to overflows.

A single corner
Dual Corners
Dual Megaflows

What would be the best choice to go with?

I believe the single corner will be "worst" in terms of skimming ability and with only a single drain (not doing an over the back manifold for return) will limit turnover to our basement sump.

The dual overflow options will be equal in drain and return rates but each have their own drawbacks to aquascape and flow.

Opinions?


intenseimage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01/03/2018, 07:03 AM   #2
Rover88
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by intenseimage View Post
We are getting a new 120rr soon and have a few options to consider in regards to overflows.

A single corner
Dual Corners
Dual Megaflows

What would be the best choice to go with?

I believe the single corner will be "worst" in terms of skimming ability and with only a single drain (not doing an over the back manifold for return) will limit turnover to our basement sump.

The dual overflow options will be equal in drain and return rates but each have their own drawbacks to aquascape and flow.

Opinions?
I have a single corner overflow, and I am using it as a herbie setup, with a piped over the top return.

Personally, I think dual corners is the better way to go then a single center one? I just feel its a lot easier to scape around when you have that added depth front-and-center, as opposed to losing the back few inches of the tank in the most prime real-estate area of the tank (the center).

But if you are starting fresh and don't already have a tank, and are worried about skimming, maybe look into getting an external overflow installed along the entire top/back of the tank. It doesn't take up any room in the tank, and gives you a lot of freedom with the plumbing in the back. Thats if you have a custom tank build, I'm not sure if you were buying a brand-made one ready to go out of the box.


Rover88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01/03/2018, 07:07 AM   #3
intenseimage
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Northampton, PA
Posts: 1,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover88 View Post
Personally, I think dual corners is the better way to go then a single center one? I just feel its a lot easier to scape around when you have that added depth front-and-center, as opposed to losing the back few inches of the tank in the most prime real-estate area of the tank (the center).

But if you are starting fresh and don't already have a tank, and are worried about skimming, maybe look into getting an external overflow installed along the entire top/back of the tank. It doesn't take up any room in the tank, and gives you a lot of freedom with the plumbing in the back. Thats if you have a custom tank build, I'm not sure if you were buying a brand-made one ready to go out of the box.
It will be an off the shelf tank which is why the Dual offset-center Megaflow or Dual Corners are really the only options. The tank is viewable from the right side so also taking into consideration having the overflow blocking some of that viewing panel as well.

Its a tough choice


intenseimage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01/03/2018, 07:11 AM   #4
Rover88
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by intenseimage View Post
It will be an off the shelf tank which is why the Dual offset-center Megaflow or Dual Corners are really the only options. The tank is viewable from the right side so also taking into consideration having the overflow blocking some of that viewing panel as well.

Its a tough choice
If its viewable from just one side, you may be alright. I have my 75 gallon single corner overflow with the back completely painted black, as well as the side of the overflow. Even though the overflow HAPPENS to be on the side of the tank thats visible to the room (its in a corner), it doesn't really inhibit looking at it from the side.

However, I can totally see wanting to go with the center megaflow if thats the case.


Rover88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01/03/2018, 08:24 AM   #5
nereefpat
Registered Member
 
nereefpat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Central Nebraska
Posts: 1,921
The megaflows make aquascaping really difficult, as mentioned. That is the worst choice of the three.

Of these three choices, I would get the single corner overflow in the left corner, away from the viewing side. I would go against what you said, and make it a Herbie. A single drain won't be able to handle much flow without noise, unless the hole for the drain is large.

Why not go over the back with the return?


__________________
Pat

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/03/2018, 08:27 AM   #6
intenseimage
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Northampton, PA
Posts: 1,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by nereefpat View Post
The megaflows make aquascaping really difficult, as mentioned. That is the worst choice of the three.

Of these three choices, I would get the single corner overflow in the left corner, away from the viewing side. I would go against what you said, and make it a Herbie. A single drain won't be able to handle much flow without noise, unless the hole for the drain is large.

Why not go over the back with the return?
This tank is replacing a 75 and there is a cutout in the carpeted area where the tank goes that has flooring underneath. With the additional front to back dimension of the 120 we won't have room for the plumbing in the rear

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk


intenseimage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01/03/2018, 08:34 AM   #7
intenseimage
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Northampton, PA
Posts: 1,141
Another thing to consider ... Any quality differences between Deep Blue (corners) vs I believe Aqueon (megaflows)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk



Last edited by intenseimage; 01/03/2018 at 08:48 AM.
intenseimage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01/03/2018, 08:40 AM   #8
hijinks
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Colorado
Posts: 467
I got a non-RR 120 and drilled the back glass and used a shadow overflow from synergy. It looks great and doesn't take up any ground real estate.


hijinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/03/2018, 08:40 AM   #9
nereefpat
Registered Member
 
nereefpat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Central Nebraska
Posts: 1,921
Since you're coming out 6 inches, I would come out an extra inch for the plumbing if you can.

If you can't, then I would still do the single corner overflow. Get the biggest holes drilled that you can (1.5" or bigger). Then don't expect to push more than a few hundred gph through the sump. Which is fine, since turnover through the sump doesn't need to be a lot, and most flow in the display should come from powerheads.


__________________
Pat

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/03/2018, 08:49 AM   #10
intenseimage
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Northampton, PA
Posts: 1,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by nereefpat View Post
Since you're coming out 6 inches, I would come out an extra inch for the plumbing if you can.

If you can't, then I would still do the single corner overflow. Get the biggest holes drilled that you can (1.5" or bigger). Then don't expect to push more than a few hundred gph through the sump. Which is fine, since turnover through the sump doesn't need to be a lot, and most flow in the display should come from powerheads.
Yea definitely cant come out that inch - unfortunately just not possible. Drilling the existing hole in the overflow could be a possibility I suppose ...


intenseimage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01/03/2018, 08:56 AM   #11
nereefpat
Registered Member
 
nereefpat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Central Nebraska
Posts: 1,921
You'll have to see how big of a hole you can order the tank with. Once you buy the tank, the bottom panel will most likely be tempered, and you can't modify it at that point.


__________________
Pat

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/03/2018, 08:57 AM   #12
intenseimage
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Northampton, PA
Posts: 1,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by nereefpat View Post
You'll have to see how big of a hole you can order the tank with. Once you buy the tank, the bottom panel will most likely be tempered, and you can't modify it at that point.
Noted ... I'll see if I can stop by the shop tonight to verify options

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk


intenseimage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01/03/2018, 09:01 AM   #13
VoltzNSalt
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Mile High City
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by hijinks View Post
I got a non-RR 120 and drilled the back glass and used a shadow overflow from synergy. It looks great and doesn't take up any ground real estate.
Glass-HolesDOTcom also sells complete kits to drill and install overflows. I put one on a 125 and was very pleased...


__________________
OCD and reefs don't mix...(or do they?)...
VoltzNSalt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01/03/2018, 04:32 PM   #14
on the spot
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by intenseimage View Post
...The tank is viewable from the right side...
If it has to be through the bottom, and the one side is also open how about one center overflow? surface area should be close to two corners and still be out of the way enough to not obstruct the view.
The collective "they" used to make them that way. Perhaps "they" still do?

Mega anything really sounds like a disappointment.

HTH


on the spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/03/2018, 07:49 PM   #15
SycoCell
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 182
This may not be the actual answer you're looking for, but I have a 120g 6' with dual corner overflows and I have the left side overflow closed off and have for the past year and a half. Haven't had any issues.


__________________
125g long DT, RS-200 Sump, Reef Octo 150 Skimmer, Full apex automation
*PS, I'm a newb so take my suggestions with a grain of reef salt*
SycoCell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/04/2018, 03:57 AM   #16
Member No. 1
Ver. 2.0
 
Member No. 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Rehoboth, MA
Posts: 1,147
In the process of upgrading my 80 to a 120.
Using a Synergy Shadow (ghost) Overflow on one end.
Tank is a 120 Deep Blue. ONLY panels you can drill are the ends.
Build thread here: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2661614


__________________
Pete
"I never make mistakes...
I thought I did once, but I was wrong"

Current Tank Info: In the process - http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2661614
Member No. 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/08/2018, 11:27 AM   #17
intenseimage
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Northampton, PA
Posts: 1,141
So it looks like with a little creativity we CAN in fact do with a single corner overflow (that will luckily be on the non-viewing side too and do a manifold return over the back!


intenseimage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01/08/2018, 12:00 PM   #18
nereefpat
Registered Member
 
nereefpat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Central Nebraska
Posts: 1,921
Wooohooo! You will be much happier with it that way. More flow + much less noise.

Let us know if you have any questions with the plumbing.


__________________
Pat

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:23 PM.


TapaTalk Enabled

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2018 Axivo Inc.
Use of this web site is subject to the terms and conditions described in the user agreement.
Reef CentralTM Reef Central, LLC. Copyright 1999-2014