Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Reply
Thread Tools
Old 01/03/2018, 01:52 PM   #1
alcimedes
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 168
[ID] Green glowing stuff growing on my zoa mat?

Anyone able to ID what this might be?




alcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/03/2018, 02:35 PM   #2
alcimedes
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 168
Someone elsewhere said it might be a baby Pocillopora, which I do have one of on the opposite side of the tank.

I've never seen young versions though, anyone else who has, does that sound like a plausible ID?


alcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/03/2018, 07:58 PM   #3
D0fleini
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Long Beach, Ca
Posts: 3
Might be galaxea.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk


D0fleini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/03/2018, 09:00 PM   #4
miralami
Registered Member
 
miralami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: OC California
Posts: 356
Poci for sure, kalk paste or epoxy to cover it. As long as you have a poci in your tank, you see these babies pops everywhere.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


miralami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/04/2018, 10:36 AM   #5
alcimedes
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 168
Would it be normal that the poci in the tank is blue, but this colony is green? do they change color over time, or is it potentially a different poci, or something else entirely if not the same colors as the parent coral?


alcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/04/2018, 11:34 AM   #6
totoro
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 10
I'd say it is a poci for sure as well.


totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/04/2018, 12:46 PM   #7
Tripod1404
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 1,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes View Post
Would it be normal that the poci in the tank is blue, but this colony is green? do they change color over time, or is it potentially a different poci, or something else entirely if not the same colors as the parent coral?
Is this one closer to the light, or in other words gets more light?


Tripod1404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/04/2018, 01:08 PM   #8
alcimedes
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod1404 View Post
Is this one closer to the light, or in other words gets more light?
It's under a different light, approximately the same distance as the one on the other side of the tank.

The other one is more of a blue/white color combo, I don't really notice any green. But the two lights are totally different, sounds like under different lights the colors may change?

I don't know much about Poci, I thought they ranged from colorful -> brown depending on amount of light, but a green one would always be green or some shade of green all the way to brown, a pink one pink to brown etc., but a green one wouldn't spawn pink ones.


alcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/04/2018, 01:13 PM   #9
Tripod1404
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 1,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes View Post
It's under a different light, approximately the same distance as the one on the other side of the tank.

The other one is more of a blue/white color combo, I don't really notice any green. But the two lights are totally different, sounds like under different lights the colors may change?

I don't know much about Poci, I thought they ranged from colorful -> brown depending on amount of light, but a green one would always be green or some shade of green all the way to brown, a pink one pink to brown etc., but a green one wouldn't spawn pink ones.
If lights are stronger, it might have more/different florescent proteins for protection. For example montipora spongodes will be brown, green and purple depending on light intensity. Generally base of the colony is brown, middle parts are green and tips are purple.


Tripod1404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/05/2018, 07:40 AM   #10
oldhead
Registered Member
 
oldhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by miralami View Post
Poci for sure, kalk paste or epoxy to cover it. As long as you have a poci in your tank, you see these babies pops everywhere.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Why would you want to kill an sps coral? Unless what you are talking about is different than this.
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/1406/?pcatid=1406


oldhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/05/2018, 09:41 AM   #11
miralami
Registered Member
 
miralami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: OC California
Posts: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhead View Post
Why would you want to kill an sps coral? Unless what you are talking about is different than this.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/1406/?pcatid=1406


Well, Pocci is really nice and I donít suggest you to kill it. Just keep in mind, if you go that route you are going to have Pocci only tank


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


miralami is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:42 AM.


TapaTalk Enabled

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2018 Axivo Inc.
Use of this web site is subject to the terms and conditions described in the user agreement.
Reef CentralTM Reef Central, LLC. Copyright ©1999-2014
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.