Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/24/2018, 09:38 AM   #1
ChrisnViv
Registered Member

What's wrong with my RBTA?

Hi all, this is my first post. We have a 75 gal mixed reef tank. All params came back a week ago from our LFS water test as excellent. Our RBTA was doing well, and the clowns were hosting it, but not aggressively. A few weeks ago, the anemone moved itself and settled in a spot lower down, and may not be getting enough light. We tried to move it, but it was stuck and is deep in a crevasse of the live rock, so we thought it best to leave it be. But it doesn't open fully anymore, and oftentimes is completely sucked inside of itself. Does anyone have advice for this? Will try to attach a pic.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg RBTA_2018Jan24.jpg (41.1 KB, 93 views)
ChrisnViv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2018, 10:35 AM   #2
Flapjack287
Registered Member

I had the same problem with my anemone once. It started to hide in the rocks and kind of shriveled up. Unfortunately mine didn't last long after that, maybe a week or two. Several things are possible here. First your anemone could be spiting, meaning that it's turning into two anemones. Second it could just be it's time to go. With ours we tried our best to feed it and keep it alive but it just died on us. I will still double check your water for phosphate and nitrate. Also do you have any sort of phosphate protection in your filter? If so maybe try replacing it with some new protection.

Flapjack287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2018, 10:53 AM   #3
humphreyhh
Registered Member

Unfortunately, It doesn’t look well in the picture.

I don’t know, since from your post you seems to rely on lfs testing your water. I would recommend to test water by yourself. Also, what light do you have?

It is firmly attached which is a good sign so don’t try to stress it by moving it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

humphreyhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2018, 03:54 PM   #4
ChrisnViv
Registered Member

Thanks. The RBTA moved itself about two weeks ago, and shortly after that stopped opening fully.

@humphreyhh we test our water ourselves once per week, but were going to the LFS last Sunday so we took a sample in for them to test, which was good because our test kit measurements were not the same as what theirs tested the water at. Lighting is a Loop system, but I really don't know about anything other than it's set for the recommended timing to come on and off.

@Flapjack287 Our nitrate testing titrate needs to be replaced as it shows nitrates at >80ppm, but the fish store test showed 5ppm. Phosphates are 0.25.

Unread 01/24/2018, 07:22 PM   #5
Flapjack287
Registered Member

The phosphate at that level shouldn't affect the anemone but it is still possible. I'd get some new phosphate protection in your tank. I recommend phosGuard.

Flapjack287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2018, 07:36 PM   #6
humphreyhh
Registered Member

Assuming the water is all good.

I noticed on the picture the anemone has very short tentacles. It’s a sign of lack of nutrients, to anemones, it means lack of food source which is lighting or feeding. Usually with plenty of light it won’t need feeding so I would do a research on the light you have. Btas are not light hungry though I had them long time ago under 15 buck eBay led bulb and they were fine, but the light is close to the water and focused on the anemone.

It is still attached so I would not assume the water is bad other wise it usually would attempt to get unattached from the rock and float away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

humphreyhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/25/2018, 12:13 PM   #7
ChrisnViv
Registered Member

Thank you both. I'll look into feeding it more, and seeing if we can redirect the lighting so it's out of the shadow.

Unread 01/25/2018, 06:37 PM   #8
raythepilot
Registered Member

Your BTA doesn't look great but not that bad. When BTA move that indicates that there is something wrong with the water. Probably NH3. Cover up intakes! Put a air stone bubbler in the tank. The nem will move downstream to the bubbler.
Stop feeding as they can live for weeks without food but are very sensitive to NH3, below the level you can measure with a kit.

raythepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2018, 09:43 AM   #9
ChrisnViv
Registered Member

I just tested the water last night and ammonia is 0.

Unread 01/28/2018, 05:27 PM   #10
RCKY
Registered Member

anything new introduced?

Did you introduce anything new just prior to the anemone moving?
I introduced a new rose bubble tip in the past a little too close to a rock flower.
I think they started a toxin war and the rock flower shriveled up and moved 10 inches way but never looked the same.

RCKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2018, 11:49 PM   #11
Anemone
Cloning Around

What lighting are you using, and when did you last change the bulbs?

Kevin

Current Tank Info: Red Sea 425XL w/Kessil AP700, Vertex 180i Skimmer, 2 x Vortech MP40s
Anemone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anemone bubble tip