Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02/10/2018, 10:16 AM   #1
Deefish714
Registered Member

Test troubles

Have a few question here for you more experienced member. Having difficulty reading my test results. I have dosed my tank with turbo start a week ago. I seen the ammonia come in and I didn't test from there. Now this morning I put down a test and I can't seem to see if there ammonia is still there. I seeded my tank with 60 lbs of live rock and also took about 30 gallons of established water from my previous tank. Then filled the rest of the 80 gallon and 15 gallon sump with fresh rodi red sea reef pro. Also added three big bags of Fuji pink. Is it possible this tank is cycled already or should u not trust my api kits. Didn't want to purchase salifert kits to just watch the cycle happen. So I stuck with my api kits. Maybe I should just get some better test to confirm or if I can have some members help me determine if I'm all good. It obvious no trites but I can't determine if there is trates or ammonia. Thanks in advanced

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk

Old 02/10/2018, 01:49 PM   #2
Dan_P
Registered Member

I use the API ammonia test a lot but use a photometer to read the color. The ammonia test looks like its indicating no ammonia. I stopped using the nitrate test because the color for 5 ppm and 0 ppm are too close for me and I needed to measure below 2 ppm. All the same, based on these results I would not rule out the presence of nitrate. The nitrite test colors are pretty but never used the test kit.

Dan_P is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02/10/2018, 03:12 PM   #3
bertoni
RC Mod

I agree that the tests look like zero for all the parameters, as well as we can read them. Those levels should be fine for most animals. I'd give wait until the tank read zero for ammonia for a week before adding anything, since secondary spikes are possible, although rare. Other than that, the tank should be ready to go for a small number of hardier animals.

Old 02/10/2018, 07:22 PM   #4
ajoe
Registered Member

Definitely upgrade your test kits when time/money permits. All but the ammonia look in good shape. Ammonia leaning a bit towards the green spectrum and less of the yellow. Likely somewhere in the .20 range. Definitely not zero which you will want to deal with asap before adding anything to the tank. Almost there so give it some time and another 2-3 weeks of 25%+ water changes and it will likely zero out.

ajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/11/2018, 12:22 AM   #5
Deefish714
Registered Member

I see it a kind of hard to get a true value for ammonia the colors are very misleading. Imma give it a few more days testing see what's I come up with.

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk

Old 02/11/2018, 02:47 AM   #6
bif24701
Registered Member

I see zero, zero, and last one is just above zero.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kessil AP700/ MP60+6105
Kalk+2 part/ Cheato Fuge

Current Tank Info: 180 SPS Dominant
bif24701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/11/2018, 10:23 AM   #7
Deefish714
Registered Member

Test troubles

Yeah Iím not sure I️ mean Iíve tested again this morning and this is what I️ came up with. At the point in time I️ think maybe time to get a more reliable ammonia test just to double confirm. What do you guys think. I️ personally feel trates are present. Like I️ said before I️ seen ammonia jump and it was def. present. Now itís gone at least to my eyes and I️ see some trates.

Old 02/11/2018, 03:02 PM   #8
bertoni
RC Mod

There might be a touch of nitrate or ammonia, but as has been stated, ammonia kits can show a bit of ammonia when there is none. Nitrate at that level will be safe for any animal, assuming the kit is correct. A second opinion is a reasonable idea, if that's easy to do, but I wouldn't worry much. If the ammonia kit stays at that reading for a week, I'm going to guess that the actual level is zero, for our purposes.

Old 02/12/2018, 01:10 PM   #9
tvu
Registered Member

Folks say to read the color from top down looking into the vial. Thatís what I do for api copper test and it works

tvu is online now   Reply With Quote