Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/04/2018, 12:35 PM   #1
Tucker1220
Registered Member

Aggressive Dottyback

Two weeks ago I added 3 new fish to my 29 biocube. A purple dottyback and two firefish. They all acclimated fine, but I noticed the firefish had made a little cave under the rocks. Today while i was feeding the tank, I noticed that one of the firefish had what looked like parts of it fins and tail missing. I also noticed the firefish avoid the dottyback when he is close by. Watching the dottyback swim around, it seems as if he is doing patrols around the tank looking for them, and will occasionally swim fast, diving right at the firefish when they are out. I have two clownfish in the tank also that have been in for about a year and a half, but the dottyback never seems to bother them. Is the dottyback aggressive or am I just thinking too much about this?

Tucker1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2018, 03:18 PM   #2
Olathereefer
Registered Member

The dottyback can be territorial and may pick on the firefish.

Olathereefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2018, 04:22 PM   #3
zooman72
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucker1220 View Post
Two weeks ago I added 3 new fish to my 29 biocube. A purple dottyback and two firefish. They all acclimated fine, but I noticed the firefish had made a little cave under the rocks. Today while i was feeding the tank, I noticed that one of the firefish had what looked like parts of it fins and tail missing. I also noticed the firefish avoid the dottyback when he is close by. Watching the dottyback swim around, it seems as if he is doing patrols around the tank looking for them, and will occasionally swim fast, diving right at the firefish when they are out. I have two clownfish in the tank also that have been in for about a year and a half, but the dottyback never seems to bother them. Is the dottyback aggressive or am I just thinking too much about this?
I hate to be blunt, but why have you not researched this? There is this thing called Google, and you must have used it as you found your way here???

Seriously, just a bit of research would have informed you that dottybacks can pose a problem with "mild-mannered" fish like firefish, especially in smaller aquariums like yours. The clowns (which species?) had an advantage in already setting up territory before you added the others. One should always add the least aggressive species first when building a "community".

Either remove the dottyback (it is either an orchid or strawberry, neither of which is high on the aggression scale) or the firefish, look into proper introduction techniques (again, Google), employ an introduction chamber, or all of the above.

Current Tank Info: Marine: Pair of 40B's, 45W, 50g cube, ADA 45F at home...IM Nuvo 20 and 10 at office!
zooman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2018, 06:54 AM   #4
OrionN
Moved on

I disagree with zooman72. You likely have a Strawberry Dottyback with is a very aggressive dottyback. Tank raised Orchid Dottyback are mild manner fish.
Still, in a 29 gallon with already a pair of clowns, you likely need to remove the Dottyback, or else the fire fish. Fire fish have the tendency to jump when bother by other fish. They also so fight among themselves and one will jump out. Rarely you can pair them, then you can keep 2 in the tank.
In the wild you always see them in group but not so in aquarium,
Good luck

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2018, 11:59 AM   #5
zooman72
Registered Member

Sorry Minh, but strawberry dottybacks are not considered an aggressive dottyback by several experienced authors, and I have had a few over the years that presented zero issues when proper and thoughtful introduction sequences were followed. I currently have one in a 40B with clark's clownfish, flame hawkfish, azure damsel, swallowtail damsel, a tailspot blenny and a small coral beauty - there is zero aggression from anything other than the occasional "chase" from the clark's when too close to its anemone.

There are much more aggressive dottybacks out there (usually shallower in habitat it seems, where the strawberry is found deeper?), but that doesn't change what I alluded to - a lack of proper research and basic husbandry of fish in a small aquarium.

Current Tank Info: Marine: Pair of 40B's, 45W, 50g cube, ADA 45F at home...IM Nuvo 20 and 10 at office!
Unread 02/06/2018, 03:38 PM   #6
norfolkgarden
Registered Member

Strawberrys are definitely aggressive. Not as bad as a similar sized bicolor or diadema, but not by much. Our strawberry definitely showed our slightly smaller diadema who's boss.

I don't know enough about orchids, but guessing they are similar to a 'peaceful' damsel?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

norfolkgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2018, 04:58 PM   #7
zooman72
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolkgarden View Post
Strawberrys are definitely aggressive. Not as bad as a similar sized bicolor or diadema, but not by much. Our strawberry definitely showed our slightly smaller diadema who's boss.

I don't know enough about orchids, but guessing they are similar to a 'peaceful' damsel?
Let me be clear one more time - in terms of ranking aggressiveness, strawberry dottybacks (Pictichromis porphyrea) are generally considered by most "experts" to be less aggressive than many species in various genera (Labricinus, Ogilbyina, Pholidochromis, even some Pseudochromis like P. aldabraensis and P. fuscus), including their own (see P. diadema and P. paccagnellae). There are also many variables that play a role in territorial behavior we call "aggressiveness", such as sex, size, niche competition, food availability, congeners/ social grouping, size of the aquarium, order of introduction to aquarium, etc.

Any dottyback (even some of the most "peaceful species) can be aggressive towards passive fish like firefish given certain parameters. A larger strawberry behaving aggressively towards a smaller diadema is hardly surprising, although not knowing some of the other parameters involved (see order of introduction and size of the aquarium) means one is predisposing that strawberry dottybacks are more aggressive than diadema dottybacks, which is based on one anecdotal observation. I had an elongate dottyback (considered by most to be quite "peaceful for a dottyback) act aggressively towards a small damsel in a 10 gallon nano because it was "established" first in the tank, and when moved to a 40B after other fish were established, it did nothing but hide for several weeks - what were the differences in parameters that led to a change in that fish's behavior?

As I stated previously, strawberry dottybacks are typically considered less aggressive than many other dottyback species, but this does not mean they cannot be aggressive under certain circumstances! The OP made a typical "rookie" mistake (order of introduction primarily), which troubles me as it is so easily researched and prevented. Explaining that all strawberry dottybacks are aggressive because you had one that was does nothing to improve the OP's understanding of what went wrong, just as explaining that my current one is non-aggressive is unhelpful - the reason for the behavior, and the probability of predicting what will happen under certain circumstances is more important to the OP's issue.

Unread 02/06/2018, 06:10 PM   #8
Sk8r
RC Mod

I took a functioning 100 gallon reef apart to move out a yellow dottie, back in the day. If you want milder-mannered color, I recommend the royal gramma basslet.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2018, 06:19 PM   #9
falconut
Registered Member

I had a purple dotty back (Pseudochromis porphyreus) when I first started in a 44 gallon & it was easily the most agreessive fish I had over the years. It killed firefish & was chasing damsels before I got him out. My suggestion would be to remove the dottyback, your other fish with thank you.

+1 on the Royal Gramma. I've had them and while they look menacing opening their mouths at others, they're pretty peaceful.

Unread 02/06/2018, 09:09 PM   #10
OrionN
Moved on

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconut View Post
I had a purple dotty back (Pseudochromis porphyreus) when I first started in a 44 gallon & it was easily the most agreessive fish I had over the years. It killed firefish & was chasing damsels before I got him out. My suggestion would be to remove the dottyback, your other fish with thank you.

+1 on the Royal Gramma. I've had them and while they look menacing opening their mouths at others, they're pretty peaceful.
That is my experience with the Strawberry Dottyback (P. porphyreus). I keep one almost 15 years ago. I bought him after consulting Scott W. Michael "Reef Aquarium Fishes: 500+ Essential-To Know Species" Which indicated that this was one of the not too aggressive Dottyback. I find that they are extremely aggressive.

Orchid Dottyback (P. fridmani) on the other hand are very peaceful fish. My breeding pair does not bother anybody and live in peace with harem of Royal Gramma in a 90 gal tank (plus other fishes). I keep multiple pairs of P. fridmani over the years, never a problem. They are much more beautiful and retain their color very well with good diet.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip

Last edited by OrionN; 02/06/2018 at 09:14 PM.
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote