Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/07/2018, 05:10 AM   #1
thegasman2000
Registered Member

Optical Infrared Water Sensor.... Wiring issues

So I got an infrared sensor from amazon and everywhere I have found describes the wiring as Blue, Red, White and Yellow... This also includes the schematic on the listing on amazon...

I got this.

https://imgur.com/a/6Y23g

This is clearly Red, Green, Black and White. I have tried a few combinations to try and get the LED to light up, using my phone camera to check and no combination works. Any Ideas?

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon sumped cube
thegasman2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/07/2018, 06:30 AM   #2
perkint
Registered Member

On this side of the pond (and a few other places) the black and red will be +ve and -ve for the DC feed. I would guess the other two are simply connected when the float is closed and not connected when the float is open. But, that is guesswork - if you try it and it don't work, I sent ever having posted this

What phone do you have? Some now days have IR filters (certainly iPhones are reputed to) so won't show the LED activity.

Tim

perkint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/07/2018, 06:50 PM   #3
damage31
Registered Member

Please post more info about the sensor- thereís not enough info to really help you more. A link or full description so we can look it up and see technical specs would be great.

My guess is that either the green or yellow will go to ground. Iím betting that red goes to v+ and might need a resistor like a 220ohm in-line, black to v-, then either green or yellow will go to ground when sensor is submerged.

So if you have a digital volt meter you should be able to probe the green and yellow and see what the resistance is when the sensor is in and out of water.

You might need a pull down resistor on the green or yellow, but without technical documents canít say for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

damage31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2018, 06:28 AM   #4
abelavin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegasman2000 View Post
So I got an infrared sensor from amazon and everywhere I have found describes the wiring as Blue, Red, White and Yellow... This also includes the schematic on the listing on amazon...

I got this.

https://imgur.com/a/6Y23g

This is clearly Red, Green, Black and White. I have tried a few combinations to try and get the LED to light up, using my phone camera to check and no combination works. Any Ideas?
Do you have user manual of this sensor?
Optical sensors has three modifications of connection interfase. NC, NO, Open collector. 4wires interface usually Open Collector, and need add resistor to the wiring scheme to right work. Need more information about your target solution.

abelavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2018, 07:06 AM   #5
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Colors aren't exact but 1=white, 2 = black, 3=green, 4 = red..
PE17 = sensor..
390 ohm resistor shown for 5V.. adjust as needed for higher voltages.. if applicable..