Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02/16/2018, 01:33 PM   #1
HBtank
Premium Member

White Tail Tang

So just when I decided I was done with tangs in my 80g, I see this awesome White Tail Tang (Ctenochaetus flavicauda) in my LFS. First time I saw one... you can guess what happened.

I have had other Ctenochaetus, but I am curious what people's experience with it are? I know for certain it is a pretty fish!

Current Tank Info: 80g tank, re-starting a reef after a zoanthid nudibranch plauge, followed by months of steady and unstoppable STN/RTN, crashed; stayed FOWLR for a couple years, currently an aiptasia dominated reef tank with fishies and BERGHIA
HBtank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02/16/2018, 01:38 PM   #2
anthonys51
Registered Member

What are you looking to learn. I have one. I find like all tangs it can be aggressive but imo not that aggressive. Mine was added in an 80 frag tank with a lieutenant tang , mata tank and fox face and all is well a year later. All there added at the same time They all showed no aggression when I added my 2 yellow wrasses

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

my sump is bigger than yours :)
yes size counts

Current Tank Info: 265 main tank, 2x 80 frag tanks, 57 macro tank, 200 gallon sump
anthonys51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02/16/2018, 01:44 PM   #3
HBtank
Premium Member

Nothing specific, just general impressions

How large is yours now? I have seen varying reports of maximum size, some saying it is the smallest Ctenochaetus at like 4.5" and others saying it is no different.

Current Tank Info: 80g tank, re-starting a reef after a zoanthid nudibranch plauge, followed by months of steady and unstoppable STN/RTN, crashed; stayed FOWLR for a couple years, currently an aiptasia dominated reef tank with fishies and BERGHIA
HBtank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02/16/2018, 09:56 PM   #4
SaltyMeloni
Registered Member

Mine was extremely shy . Beautiful fish , between him and my algae scrubber I had absolutely no hair algae to be found. So when I cleaned my algae scrubber I would dry the algae and feed it back to him. Sadly he was one of two fish that I lost during a power outage during the winter. Good luck to you.

SaltyMeloni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:05 AM   #5
Mknuwet
Registered Member

Wait til it settles in. They can be quite mean

Mknuwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:16 AM   #6
anthonys51
Registered Member

All tangs can be quite mean. Especially given the wrong tank size, wrong tank mates and incorrect stocking order.

In my main tank I have 11 wrasses , 15 anthias, 5 dwarf angels , 7 tangs , 2 clowns , hogfish , blue throat trigger , 3 bangaii cardinals, 2 barred rabbit fish and they all gotten along perfectly for last 18 months. Tank is only 22 months old Will say my powder blue was one of the last Fish added and I added a few wrasses after it and it has flipped out the first day but calms down shortly

yes size counts

Current Tank Info: 265 main tank, 2x 80 frag tanks, 57 macro tank, 200 gallon sump
Old Yesterday, 08:56 AM   #7
mitchrapp
Registered Member

Mine is the most aggressive fish in my tank. He bullies everyone, but is quite beautiful.

mitchrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:12 AM   #8
Mknuwet
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonys51 View Post
All tangs can be quite mean. Especially given the wrong tank size, wrong tank mates and incorrect stocking order.

In my main tank I have 11 wrasses , 15 anthias, 5 dwarf angels , 7 tangs , 2 clowns , hogfish , blue throat trigger , 3 bangaii cardinals, 2 barred rabbit fish and they all gotten along perfectly for last 18 months. Tank is only 22 months old Will say my powder blue was one of the last Fish added and I added a few wrasses after it and it has flipped out the first day but calms down shortly

Yes, however there are some (naso, fowleri, black) imo experience have been pretty docile.

Most acanthurus are brutal, followed by zebrasoma. But there are some exceptions as I stated above. Iíve kept these and many tangs in all size tanks numerous times

Mknuwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:53 AM   #9
anthonys51
Registered Member

Yes I Argee with you. My blond Naso has never chased a fish in 2 years. My hippo tries to start a fight with him once a day but he just swims away indifferent

yes size counts