Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply
Thread Tools
Old 05/17/2017, 07:29 AM   #5501
pinnatus
RIP Ludinano
 
pinnatus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 1,512
My new Regal:



__________________
- Ken

Current Tank Info: 240 gal Fish-Only, 10-gal w/ clowns
pinnatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/18/2017, 05:54 AM   #5502
alton
Registered Member
 
alton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Zuehl, Texas
Posts: 3,832
welcome to the club


alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/18/2017, 12:38 PM   #5503
OrionN
Anemones
 
OrionN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Coastal Texas
Posts: 14,531
I posted this on the other Regal angle thread. Will copy it here also.
These are pictures of the Regal angels at about the same size for color comparison, both baby and both adult coloration but not fully adult. The shape of my IO regal is more elongate in compare to the body shape of my Indo Pacific (IP). This is likely due to the IO is the male and IP is a female.
As you can see, whether RS/IO/IP, all are extremely graceful and exceptionally beautiful fish.

Baby IP


Baby IO


Semi adult female IP


Semi adult Male RS



__________________
Minh

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: 320 anemones reef. Angels: Regal(3), Watanabei(2), Flame(3). Copperband But. Tangs: Powder Blue, Yellow,Chevron. Foxface, Harlequin Tusk. Marine Beta(2), Loepard wrasse(3). A. percula(trio and a spare)
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/18/2017, 06:43 PM   #5504
ThRoewer
Registered Member
 
ThRoewer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Fremont, CA
Posts: 7,768
I think the actual color difference between Indian Ocean and Red Sea individuals is minute. Though I feel that the bars of Red Sea specimens are narrower which gives Red Sea Regals a more orange-yellow appearance.
With Indo-Pacific specimens the bars are even wider which gives Pacific Regals a different appearance. In combination with the blue-gray chest it gives them it gives them a more bluish appearance which comes out best under more actinic light.

Minh, is the first one the Philippines Regal you got from me? The one I kept is much more blue-gray in the head. Only his snout and ventral fins are yellow, and of course the yellow body base color.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk


__________________
Pairs: 4 percula, 3 P. kauderni, 3 D. excisus, 1 ea of P. diacanthus, S. splendidus, C. altivelis O. rosenblatti, D. janssi, S. yasha & a Gramma loreto trio
3 P. diacanthus. 2 C. starcki

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/18/2017, 06:50 PM   #5505
OrionN
Anemones
 
OrionN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Coastal Texas
Posts: 14,531
ThRoewer,
Pictures 1 and 3 above are pictures of the same Regal Angel from Indo-Pacific two years apart, not one of the fish I got from you. That picture, numger 3, is abotu 1 year ago. She is a bit bigger and darker in coloration. I have not taken any picture of my Regals lately.
The second picture is a IO, Mardive, I got from LA and the last picture is the RS Regal I got from Alton.


__________________
Minh

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: 320 anemones reef. Angels: Regal(3), Watanabei(2), Flame(3). Copperband But. Tangs: Powder Blue, Yellow,Chevron. Foxface, Harlequin Tusk. Marine Beta(2), Loepard wrasse(3). A. percula(trio and a spare)

Last edited by OrionN; 05/18/2017 at 07:26 PM.
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/18/2017, 09:46 PM   #5506
JustinM
Registered Member
 
JustinM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,042
I can finally say my regal is eating flakes now out of the column. Turns out he had intestinal worms and a few rounds of metroplex fixed his appetite right up. Can't wait for qt to be done.


JustinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/19/2017, 02:03 AM   #5507
MMacro
Wrasseaholic
 
MMacro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 1,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshocker View Post
I can finally say my regal is eating flakes now out of the column. Turns out he had intestinal worms and a few rounds of metroplex fixed his appetite right up. Can't wait for qt to be done.
Did you bind the metro into food or dose it into the water column?


__________________
155 Mixed Reef (48x31x24)
MMacro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05/19/2017, 06:19 AM   #5508
alton
Registered Member
 
alton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Zuehl, Texas
Posts: 3,832
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
ThRoewer,
Pictures 1 and 3 above are pictures of the same Regal Angel from Indo-Pacific two years apart, not one of the fish I got from you. That picture, numger 3, is abotu 1 year ago. She is a bit bigger and darker in coloration. I have not taken any picture of my Regals lately.
The second picture is a IO, Mardive, I got from LA and the last picture is the RS Regal I got from Alton.
that Alton is a nice guy
A little story Minh lives 180 miles south of me so I drove 90 miles south and he drove 90 miles north to meet up and transfer the fish. Glad he is doing well.


alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/19/2017, 07:43 AM   #5509
OrionN
Anemones
 
OrionN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Coastal Texas
Posts: 14,531
That Alton is a nice guy for sure. In addition to the Red Sea Regal Angel, I also got a Cheveron Tang from Alton.
Alton are you going to be at the frag swab this weekend? I will be there with a table.


__________________
Minh

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: 320 anemones reef. Angels: Regal(3), Watanabei(2), Flame(3). Copperband But. Tangs: Powder Blue, Yellow,Chevron. Foxface, Harlequin Tusk. Marine Beta(2), Loepard wrasse(3). A. percula(trio and a spare)
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/19/2017, 11:20 AM   #5510
JustinM
Registered Member
 
JustinM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMacro View Post
Did you bind the metro into food or dose it into the water column?
I used focus to bind it with the metro but he wasn't eating flake/frozen then. I ended up just dosing the water hoping for the best. It seemed to work. No more strong, white waste, and his appetite has grown immensely.


JustinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/19/2017, 01:37 PM   #5511
OrionN
Anemones
 
OrionN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Coastal Texas
Posts: 14,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
That Alton is a nice guy for sure. In addition to the Red Sea Regal Angel, I also got a Cheveron Tang from Alton.
Alton are you going to be at the frag swab this weekend? I will be there with a table.
I know that this is not a tang thread but here is the Chevron tang I got from Alton. He is a beauty.




__________________
Minh

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: 320 anemones reef. Angels: Regal(3), Watanabei(2), Flame(3). Copperband But. Tangs: Powder Blue, Yellow,Chevron. Foxface, Harlequin Tusk. Marine Beta(2), Loepard wrasse(3). A. percula(trio and a spare)
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/19/2017, 03:47 PM   #5512
OrionN
Anemones
 
OrionN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Coastal Texas
Posts: 14,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post
.....

Minh, is the first one the Philippines Regal you got from me? The one I kept is much more blue-gray in the head. Only his snout and ventral fins are yellow, and of course the yellow body base color.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
This is the Philippines Regal I got from you. He is a beauty and is very fat at this time.




Attached Images
File Type: jpg RegalBlueChest2017051901.jpg (78.1 KB, 148 views)
__________________
Minh

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: 320 anemones reef. Angels: Regal(3), Watanabei(2), Flame(3). Copperband But. Tangs: Powder Blue, Yellow,Chevron. Foxface, Harlequin Tusk. Marine Beta(2), Loepard wrasse(3). A. percula(trio and a spare)
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/20/2017, 07:07 PM   #5513
ThRoewer
Registered Member
 
ThRoewer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Fremont, CA
Posts: 7,768
Nice to see that he is doing well. The one I kept is even more blue. Both of them were rescues and scary skinny at the time I got them. It took almost 6 months to get them back to an halfway normal weight where the skull edge wouldn't show anymore.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk


__________________
Pairs: 4 percula, 3 P. kauderni, 3 D. excisus, 1 ea of P. diacanthus, S. splendidus, C. altivelis O. rosenblatti, D. janssi, S. yasha & a Gramma loreto trio
3 P. diacanthus. 2 C. starcki

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/20/2017, 08:45 PM   #5514
alton
Registered Member
 
alton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Zuehl, Texas
Posts: 3,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
That Alton is a nice guy for sure. In addition to the Red Sea Regal Angel, I also got a Cheveron Tang from Alton.
Alton are you going to be at the frag swab this weekend? I will be there with a table.
Sorry Too much going on this weekend, I wish I could make it


alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/22/2017, 04:16 PM   #5515
Reef908
Registered Member
 
Reef908's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 216
Here's a pick of my guy. He destroys pellets and has been living fine with the purple tang for 5 months now. Getting super fat! Bad pic and dirty glass but he has been camera shy. As soon as my phone comes out he darts into the rocks haha

 photo IMG_0055_zpsegrpdu4s.jpg


__________________
Tank: 180 Gallon Mixed Reef; Fish: Hoeven's Wrasse, Red Sea Regal Angel, spot breast angel, Green Wrasse, Juvi Aussie Harlequin Tusk, tangs: powder blue, juvi desjardini, purple, tomini
Reef908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/23/2017, 05:48 PM   #5516
ClownNut
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,648
need some help.
i got a red sea regal 2 weeks ago.
it eats mysis shrimp and rod to begin with, but day 3 it start to eat less mysis and now it refuses to eat anything. it will go up to the food and look at it then turn away.
i tried Rod/Larry/mysis/PE mysis/Brine/bloodworm/pellets/krill/clam on half shell/green algae/nutramar ova.
no disease, i keep it in QT treat with CQ and will start praziquantel tomorrow.
the fish is active and aware of surrounding.
i will try flake and live green mussels tomorrow.
anyone experience that before? from eating to not eating.


__________________
Dont let me know where u lived if u have a nice pair of clownfish in ur tank!^_^
Clown kidnaper^_^

Current Tank Info: 300DD, SM200/RD3,ATI 60-8X80+4X75, 2 Sea Sweep & 4X6105 & 6208
ClownNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/23/2017, 05:51 PM   #5517
JustinM
Registered Member
 
JustinM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,042
My regal did the same thing. I treated with prazi right away but he still didn't eat. Then one day I saw a white, string poo coming out of him. Treated with metroplex and he has been eating great since.

How do you know there is no disease?


JustinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/23/2017, 06:10 PM   #5518
ClownNut
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshocker View Post
My regal did the same thing. I treated with prazi right away but he still didn't eat. Then one day I saw a white, string poo coming out of him. Treated with metroplex and he has been eating great since.

How do you know there is no disease?
no white poo, fins and tail are clear/clean, active and aware of surrounding.
not any sign point toward disease.


__________________
Dont let me know where u lived if u have a nice pair of clownfish in ur tank!^_^
Clown kidnaper^_^

Current Tank Info: 300DD, SM200/RD3,ATI 60-8X80+4X75, 2 Sea Sweep & 4X6105 & 6208
ClownNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/23/2017, 06:35 PM   #5519
JustinM
Registered Member
 
JustinM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClownNut View Post
no white poo, fins and tail are clear/clean, active and aware of surrounding.
not any sign point toward disease.
So you haven't treated for flukes yet? Angels sometimes won't eat when they're sick and they are very prone to flukes. Is in qt now?


JustinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/23/2017, 06:42 PM   #5520
ClownNut
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,648
i know what flukes will look like on an angel it doesn't have fluke, it got a freshwater dip a couple days ago. no flukes.
It's in QT currently going through chloroquine phosphate treatment will follow by praziquantel tomorrow.


__________________
Dont let me know where u lived if u have a nice pair of clownfish in ur tank!^_^
Clown kidnaper^_^

Current Tank Info: 300DD, SM200/RD3,ATI 60-8X80+4X75, 2 Sea Sweep & 4X6105 & 6208
ClownNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/23/2017, 06:58 PM   #5521
JustinM
Registered Member
 
JustinM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,042
Well the CP might be suppressing its appetite. Meds suppress appetites quite often.

How is the ammonia in the qt? Is there an airstone or powerhead pointed upwards in the qt as well? Medications will deplete oxygen in a tank.

I am not sure on mixing prazi and cp, I know it's not advisable to mix meds but someone else might know if it's safe. Make sure you know it's safe to do so before adding the prazi. Also, why are you dosing prazi if you know it's not flukes?


JustinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/23/2017, 07:06 PM   #5522
ClownNut
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshocker View Post
Well the CP might be suppressing its appetite. Meds suppress appetites quite often.

How is the ammonia in the qt? Is there an airstone or powerhead pointed upwards in the qt as well? Medications will deplete oxygen in a tank.

I am not sure on mixing prazi and cp, I know it's not advisable to mix meds but someone else might know if it's safe. Make sure you know it's safe to do so before adding the prazi. Also, why are you dosing prazi if you know it's not flukes?
it started to not eat before I treated. big hang on back with plenty of surface movement, oxygen and ammonia are not the issue.
it's fine mixing cp and praziquantel. i have done both for some of my fish before, but i will do a 100% water change before praziquantel treatment.


__________________
Dont let me know where u lived if u have a nice pair of clownfish in ur tank!^_^
Clown kidnaper^_^

Current Tank Info: 300DD, SM200/RD3,ATI 60-8X80+4X75, 2 Sea Sweep & 4X6105 & 6208
ClownNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/23/2017, 07:17 PM   #5523
JustinM
Registered Member
 
JustinM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,042
Well I hope he starts eating for you. I'm at a loss. Maybe he's just being finicky. Good luck!


JustinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/24/2017, 07:05 AM   #5524
Reef908
Registered Member
 
Reef908's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClownNut View Post
need some help.
i got a red sea regal 2 weeks ago.
it eats mysis shrimp and rod to begin with, but day 3 it start to eat less mysis and now it refuses to eat anything. it will go up to the food and look at it then turn away.
i tried Rod/Larry/mysis/PE mysis/Brine/bloodworm/pellets/krill/clam on half shell/green algae/nutramar ova.
no disease, i keep it in QT treat with CQ and will start praziquantel tomorrow.
the fish is active and aware of surrounding.
i will try flake and live green mussels tomorrow.
anyone experience that before? from eating to not eating.
Mine didn't eat for a few days at the start so what I did was I shucked a live clam and just left on the bottom of the tank on the half shell. Since it was in a qt with minimal Live rock and just a hang on back filter, I'd remove the clam after around 4 hours. I did this for several days in a row with a fresh clam. I think on day 3 it's started nipping the clam and a few days after it would eat nearly the whole thing. One thing for me though was after this he still would not eat out of the water column. I added a small wrasse that was eating fine and after a few days the angel was eating frozen mysis. After a while of this it eventually ate everything i offered it except nori. It only eats the floating pieces that my tang and wrasses rip off. Hope it eats soon for you!


__________________
Tank: 180 Gallon Mixed Reef; Fish: Hoeven's Wrasse, Red Sea Regal Angel, spot breast angel, Green Wrasse, Juvi Aussie Harlequin Tusk, tangs: powder blue, juvi desjardini, purple, tomini
Reef908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/24/2017, 10:43 AM   #5525
ClownNut
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef908 View Post
Mine didn't eat for a few days at the start so what I did was I shucked a live clam and just left on the bottom of the tank on the half shell. Since it was in a qt with minimal Live rock and just a hang on back filter, I'd remove the clam after around 4 hours. I did this for several days in a row with a fresh clam. I think on day 3 it's started nipping the clam and a few days after it would eat nearly the whole thing. One thing for me though was after this he still would not eat out of the water column. I added a small wrasse that was eating fine and after a few days the angel was eating frozen mysis. After a while of this it eventually ate everything i offered it except nori. It only eats the floating pieces that my tang and wrasses rip off. Hope it eats soon for you!
squid, it won't even look at it
flake, it will go up to it but wouldn't take a bite.
red algae on clip, it will nip at the clip but not the algae.
live clam is my last hope. i will see if i can pick up a few later today.


__________________
Dont let me know where u lived if u have a nice pair of clownfish in ur tank!^_^
Clown kidnaper^_^

Current Tank Info: 300DD, SM200/RD3,ATI 60-8X80+4X75, 2 Sea Sweep & 4X6105 & 6208
ClownNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:39 AM.


TapaTalk Enabled

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2017 Axivo Inc.
Use of this web site is subject to the terms and conditions described in the user agreement.
Reef CentralTM Reef Central, LLC. Copyright 1999-2014