Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/03/2005, 12:56 PM   #476
Tiggsy
Registered Member

if you did this and also added loose sand on top would it allow for the benifits of a loose sand base but achived with only a very small amount - lots of bare patches but they wouldnt show up. Would coraline grow on it so easily with a thin amount of sand loose down there?

Tiggsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2005, 01:40 PM   #477
Sindjin
Registered Member

Anyone have any pics of their tanks completley setup with a faux sand bed?

Current Tank Info: 120 gallon, DIY Stand & Canopy, 2-250w 14ks w/ 2- 110 VHO actinics, ASM G-3, 50g sump, 46x tank turnover.
Sindjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2005, 02:19 PM   #478
Dholmblad
Registered Member

I really wish I could do this, it would solve so many problems for me. But I really dont think I could take everything outa my 90 gal.

Dholmblad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2005, 09:55 PM   #479
King-Kong
Registered Member

sindjin: I just did that... check out the thread.

King-Kong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2005, 10:49 PM   #480
areze
Registered Member

anyone have the details of the shrink factor of the epoxy?

we dont use acrylic and glass cause they expand at different rates. no doubt this does too; and would stress the joints.

I guess the question is; how do you get a solid slab that isnt connected to the glass? cant fit it in because of bracing.

what if you layered the bottom with wax paper or that new non stick aluminum foil. made your bottom; and then picked it up with the paper; peeled it away; all while its in the tank; then lay it back down. now the 2 are free to expand and contract seperately vs stressing each other.

or how about a flexable bottom? are their any clear silicone resins?

Unread 09/04/2005, 08:24 AM   #481
King-Kong
Registered Member

I think placing it on thin cutting board is the way to go. No risk of anything that way, and it is easy to remove.

Unread 09/04/2005, 09:15 AM   #482
areze
Registered Member

but it would still be joined to the sides. making it probably impossible to remove.

I guess if you made a frame and built it onto the cutting board outside the tank and laid it in panels like you would starboard.

Id just like it better if it in no way bonded to the glass and had about 1/16" of room around it.

Unread 09/04/2005, 02:19 PM   #483
King-Kong
Registered Member

I didnt glue mine down. its not attached. I cut it to be a bit shy of the edge of the tank.

Unread 09/04/2005, 04:24 PM   #484
areze
Registered Member

hmmm ok.

well I had some polyurethane resin epoxy whatever from a past project. its a 2part mixture that dries crystal clear, 90D shore hardness.

but I have used it before; and if you drop it into water; it disappears. so my thought is; what if you submerged the sand in it; mix it up but dont sprinkle sand on top; infact, add more resin over it so its smooth.

not sure if itll work yet. unfortunatly this stuff does get hot. hot enough that I didnt dry the sand enough and it evaporated in the mix causing lots of bubbling. atleast thats my theory on why it bubbled. Im going to try again with some VERY dry sand and see what happens. Im just doing little 4x4" squares for testing purposes now. in a wooden mold sealed with special sealent, and waxed with special wax for this purpose. if it works; I should be able to do the same thing with larger peices and lay it in. hopefully anyway.

Unread 09/05/2005, 01:50 AM   #485
MeuserReef
Welcome to the next level

arenze.. dont you think that the clear layer would look a little wierd once the coraline begins to grow? If you have a layer of smooth epoxy and the Purple stuff starts to grow.. it will appear suspended in the water.
Just a thought.

Current Tank Info: tankless
MeuserReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/05/2005, 02:29 AM   #486
Marshall
Premium Member

The effect you're going to get (and parts of mine have this from where the tape folded over on itself and no new sand sprinkled on top) is a 'lake' of sand. What I mean by this is imagine a hobby train set with a faux lake.. it looks like water (reflective) but is really just hardened epoxy. The only difference is that there won't be any texture but it will be sand colored. I would suggest not doing this.

Cheers!

Unread 09/05/2005, 07:06 AM   #487
areze
Registered Member

for the coraline I thought I could just remove it like one would on the front glass. as for the lake of sand, noted. my hope is that under water it doesnt have that affect; it just disappears and you cant tell that there is a seem between the clear water and the clear resin. just did a small box, nothing to lose. the other problem with it anyway is air bubbles, I have a pressure pot so I can cure it under 80psi. but cant fit more than a few inch mold. so full sized it might get bubbles; and thatd obviously be a problem.

Unread 09/05/2005, 07:23 AM   #488
areze
Registered Member

well it was relatively successful. I think the over lay could have been thinner, only from a "hovering" standpoint for rocks, algea, and snails ect. but a smooth top didnt seem to harm the overall appearance of the sand at all. in person you would not have any idea that it was solid, or covered over. you cant tell there was anything in the water except at the edges.

Unread 09/05/2005, 07:26 AM   #489
areze
Registered Member

hmmm photos do a bad job of showing it but the first 4 photos are with the square submerged. you probably dont see anything but pure sand either way. not sure whered Id go next with this though.

I molded it onto acrylicby the way, with metal tape walls. just thinking that the exposed sand would be very rough; hard to blow ditrius(sp?) off, and might attract algea even more and you cant do anything. so this way I would go in there with a CC or scraper or whatever and clean it up.

Unread 09/05/2005, 07:31 AM   #490
Sindjin
Registered Member

areze,

Looks good. Thanks for sharing your progress.
What is the Metal Tape you wrote about?

Current Tank Info: 120 gallon, DIY Stand & Canopy, 2-250w 14ks w/ 2- 110 VHO actinics, ASM G-3, 50g sump, 46x tank turnover.
Unread 09/05/2005, 07:45 AM   #491
areze
Registered Member

its meant for duct work I believe; its like thick tin foil with adhesive on one side. works great as a heat sheild on RC cars to keep hot engines from melting the lexan body . had it left over; and it can bend into crisp corners since its metal. also nice and smooth.

Unread 09/05/2005, 09:01 AM   #492
Sindjin
Registered Member

Did you have the adhesive side in towards the sandbed or the metalic side?

Unread 09/27/2005, 06:51 PM   #493
snookcatcher
Moved On

well im almost done with the plumbing on my 90 gal and im gonna do this new "faux" sandbed. how much epoxy do i need to buy? and also which type sand is best. southdown, caribsea etc. thanx a lot i love this new idea!

snookcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/27/2005, 06:51 PM   #494
snookcatcher
Moved On

well im almost done with the plumbing on my 90 gal and im gonna do this new "faux" sandbed. how much epoxy do i need to buy? and also which type sand is best. southdown, caribsea etc. thanx a lot i love this new idea!

Unread 09/27/2005, 06:51 PM   #495
snookcatcher
Moved On

sorry double post

Unread 09/27/2005, 07:21 PM   #496
OoVWoO
Registered Member

Cool idea, I'd done/seen similar on some freshwater projects, and some of my customers have followed suite. For large african cichlids that prefer caves, we got some large pvc elbows and such, and covered it with food-safe counter top spray epoxy and rolled it around in whatever the gravel/sand in any given tank was, and they turn out great.

Moving into a 100gal, and trying to outfit it last minute :o

Current Tank Info: 52g w/20g sump (260watts,175lbs lr,fish+coral) moving into 100g w/40g sump (~1000watts,~2500gph through 5 random returns)
OoVWoO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/27/2005, 10:12 PM   #497
King-Kong
Registered Member

snook, depends on your taste. I used one 32oz package which barely was enough.. if your wallet allows it, try to get a larger package. I also used aragalive dry sand.. i think its that caribsea type. i rinsed it and dried it in the sun before using it.

Photos of my 90g with fauxsandbed:
http://www.d3f.org/misc/fish/90g/08c-cuttingboard.jpg
http://www.d3f.org/misc/fish/90g/09-fauxsand.jpg
http://www.d3f.org/misc/fish/90g/09b-fauxsand.jpg
http://www.d3f.org/misc/fish/90g/21-faux-sand.jpg

Unread 09/28/2005, 06:39 PM   #498
snookcatcher
Moved On

well my friend works at michaels and he hooked me up with a 32oz and a 16 oz package of the envirotex epoxy, now i have to get starboard (or somthing similar?) and sand, what kind of sand have you guys used (the caribsea is 40$!!!!)

Unread 09/28/2005, 10:06 PM   #499
King-Kong
Registered Member

you dont need much sand. I bought a 30lb bag of it, and used about 1/3rd.

Unread 09/29/2005, 04:31 AM   #500
snookcatcher
Moved On

i want it to be a little higher than the black plastic part that runs along the bottom, would that be enough????10lbs?