Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Tridacnid Clams and other Mollusks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/30/2001, 10:54 PM   #1
myreef
Registered Member

question regarding Crocea and clams in general

I purchased a beautiful 3" Crocea this weekend and know I should feed it DT's, but do I target feed or just put it in the water column? TIA

myreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2001, 05:42 AM   #2
MiNdErAsR
Dark Lord of Sriracha!

Simply adding to the water should be sufficient. Perhaps in a high flow area to ensure dispersal.

Cancer is Les' enemy, cancer is my enemy, the enemy of something, something, friend, something, something...
Therefore Les is my friend - El Barto

Current Tank Info: Gone With The Wind
MiNdErAsR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2001, 06:23 AM   #3
myreef
Registered Member

Thanks Jim, that's what I did yesterday. I placed it in front of an outlet so it would get dispered well across the entire tank.

Unread 10/05/2001, 04:15 AM   #4
Nanook
Ancient Eskimo Legend

I just got a couple of 3 inchers from Dr. Mac. One is a T. Maxima and the other is a Crocea. I have been dosing my tank with DT's phyto every other day before lights out. I hope this is satiating their appetites.

Nanook

Current Tank Info: 375g Tanganyikan Tank & 470g mixed reef
Nanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2001, 06:33 AM   #5
myreef
Registered Member

I have been putting Dt's in during the day. Do you think it is any better to do it at night or at lights out?

Unread 10/09/2001, 10:28 AM   #6
ReefRaf
Registered Member

Just curious....everything I read says that you don't need to feed clams; then I come to this group and everyone says you DO need to feed clams. However, I have followed a couple of links from people here to clam references that again say don't feed clams. I'm confused.

Unread 10/09/2001, 05:03 PM   #7
simonh
Premium Member

I think a few years ago most of the clams been imported were fairly large > 4". At this size they have much more zooxanthellae and also a larger tissue mass and could survive from the light along. However, now we are seeing 1-2" clams been imported which cannot get enough nutrition from the amount of zooxanthellae they have in a small amount of tissues.

Also the phytoplanktons are now available which weren't then. At the time I beleive Knop did recommending feeding yeast to clams, but maybe lack of a proper food source and already nutrient enriched tanks meant this didn't become a widespread recommendation ? Maybe a combination of higher nitrate levels in tanks meant they also had plentiful supply of nutrients to increase the zooxanthalle density.

Just my thoughts....

Current Tank Info: 240 gallon, mainly Acropora dominated
simonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/24/2001, 04:54 AM   #8
Ironreef
Premium Member

Yup small clams don't use the light yet or as much they feed off the water= why they are hard to keep even with dt. With good lighting and larger clams you don't need to feed. they feed more alot off the light and get food from fish wastes and foods that recycle through the water being broken up from pumps ect... DT is good but I never use it any more from cost and really didn't see to much diff when i use it for a year except $$ I have 3 types of breeding snails and mass tubeworms/ sponges ect.. But i do add alga paste in my homemade food and liquafy alot of the food so that may help also. I know its cheaper. But I don't see any diif what time you does it. But you may want to try before the lights good out or in the morn cuz that seems to be when the animalsfilter feed more= light out. But it probally doesn't matter.

Ironreef is offline   Reply With Quote