Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/31/2005, 03:15 PM   #1
Sinistard
Registered Member

Sinistard's 68.8 Acrylic Tank Journal [Photo Intense]

Well I filled up my 12g Nano Cube and have decided to start a bigger tank. The 12g was my first salt water tank so this is my first "bigger" tank and I want to get it right the first time.

I have been planning it for the last month or so. I started out wanting to do a custom acrylic and decided it would end up costing me too much money. So next I found a used 55g RR AGA tank for cheap and decided to give it a go only to find it was to big where I was going to put it. So at this point I needed to go smaller and my next thought after seeing winniebagle's 30g Sea Clear tank on NR was to do a 40g Sea Clear. I rearranged the living room (moved around the home theater which my wife was happy about) to fit in the Sea Clear and decided to upgrade to the 50g seaclear since it has the same footprint as the 40.

So now I had the space and the tank figured out and got to thinking about plumbing and decided I would like to have an overflow built into the tank. I though about sticking a overflow in the Sea Clear myself but decided for not that much more I could have a tank built and get exactly the dimensions I wanted. After all this I decided on a 36x16x20 inch acrylic tank with a black back and internal overflow. After doing a lot of research on getting a tank built for me I decided to order the tank from Ostrom Manufacturing in Mt Gilead, Ohio http://www.ostrommfg.com/ . After a little more research I decided to not go with Ostrom for my tank and decided to get it from a place in Cali called socalcreations www.socalcreations.com.

Not that I thought that Ostroms would not make a good tank they just did a few thing ways that I thought socalcreations did better or more the way I wanted it anyways. Plus Randy at socalcreations has been very helpfull and there price was basicaly the same even with shipping and I was getting exactly what I wanted. I have seen several of there tanks in action on www.nano-reef.com including Tigahboy's very nice 67g

After talking to Randy I found that I could get a bigger tank for basicaly the same price and after changing my mind several times I settled on a 44x18x20. I ended up costing me a bit more mostly due to shipping. I also decided to go with an external overflow since it cost the same and will free up some space in the tank. So after all that I ended up with a custom acrylic tank.

I was lucky to pick up some basically new equipment for a great deal (thanks Mai) even before I decided on a tank. So I have an Aqua Medic 250 watt Oceanlight, an AquaC Urchin skimmer and an Iwaki Md-30rlxt pump. Since I got such a good deal this had jump-started my tank aspirations.

My plan for lighting is to take the 250-watt MH and build it into a custom wood pendent, which will match the stand I am building, with 260 watts of PC lighting. I got a 260w coralife hood for cheap so I am going to gut it to use the lights. Eventualy I will add a second 250 MH but for now I am "trying" to save money.

Here is what I hope the stand and light will basically end up looking like. I barrowed the tank picture from weatherson, I hope he does not mind. It's a very beautiful tank and I hope mine will look half as good once it is up and running. Not that I will stick the same fish in my tank

I am still working out flow and plumbing. This is all new to me and I hope it turns out. I have barrowed and adapted from several other tanks. Here is my flow plan as of now this could change. I have 4 returns on the closed loop so if I decide to go with an OM squirt. If everything goes right I will be able to have the tank only 4.75" from the wall. Thats if everything goes right.

I have been thinking about how to do my sump/fuge under the tank and am going to do them separate instead of in one with both sump and fuge. Basically I am going to have a 10g 12x12x16 fuge and a 10g sump dimensions TBD. The reason I decided to do this is to maximize water volume and to be able to control flow into the fuge.

Basically I will split the overflow pipe from the main tank and run one line to the Fuge and one line to the sump. Around 75% of the water will be directed to the sump and the remaining 25% will go to the fuge controlled by gate valves. This way the water going through the fuge is much slower. I think I will use a dorso standpipe to drain the fuge into the return area of the sump.

Here is a picture of the basics of it, its not to scale and the plumbing will not be exactly the same. I still have some figuring to do as far as what will fit in my stand and pvc routing.

I started building the stand yesterday and will post some pictures later. The tank should be here on Sept 16th, I can't wait.

Also thanks to all the inspiring tank threads here and on NR they have been a huge help in my planing and design.

Thanks for looking and comments/suggestions are welcome.

Sinistard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/31/2005, 03:19 PM   #2
A\/enger
Premium Member

looks like youve done some great planning Im tagging along for this one.

Last edited by A\/enger; 08/31/2005 at 03:31 PM.
A\/enger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/31/2005, 03:21 PM   #3
Cuervo420
Registered Member

me too. keep us posted

Current Tank Info: 20L mixed reef, 10g shroom prop, minibow, rebuilding 75AGA
Cuervo420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/31/2005, 06:24 PM   #4
Sinistard
Registered Member

Like I said the ETA on my tank is Sept 16th so in the mean time I am working on the stand. I hope to have it done by the time the tank gets here. I started off by making the top.

Here is the 3/4" plywood I am making the top out of. I cut the piece of plywood big enough that I will have 1/8 gap on all sides between the cove molding and my tank.

Next I added a 3/4"x1/2" trim to the outside to give it a nice edge. Like my ghetto clamps (blue tape). It took a lot of measuring to ensure I would have the 1/8 space on each side since the edge molding and the cove molding made me end up with some odd numbers.

After I stuck on the edges I added the cove molding to the top for the tank to set down in.

All the measuring worked out the space between the cove molding came out to 44.25"x18.25" exactly.

So far I am happy with the way the top has turned out, next I will work on the frame.

Unread 09/03/2005, 11:46 PM   #5
Sinistard
Registered Member

Here are a few more pictures of my stand coming together.

I made a frame out of 2x4s. More thanks goes out to Randy at socalcreations, I called him to find out what he used to make pocket holes to connect the 2x4s and he told me about the kreg pocket rocket kit. It makes sticking together 2x4s much easier and clean looking.

I added 3/4" ply to each end for looks and for more support. I may have over done it a bit with the frame. I think this stand will hold up a small car but better safe then sorry

Next I cut 1x4s to make the outside shell. These will go on all 4 sides and the doors on the front will be made out of the same wood.

I used a biscuit joiner and biscuits to join the 4 outside edge of the shell so I will have a nice clean look with no screw or nails showing from the outside. Again I wish I had a nice set of clamps these joints would be much tighter and probably stronger. I could not even use my ghetto tape as clamps for these. After these dry they will get stuck on all 4 sides of the frame

This is the crown molding that will go under the top after I get it all stuck together.

That’s it for tonight the glue is drying and I'm out of wood so back to Lowes tomorrow X)

Unread 09/04/2005, 02:28 AM   #6
Snakebyt
Registered Member

looks good, cant wait to see more progress

Snakebyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/04/2005, 04:06 AM   #7
kenny77
Registered Member

Im gonna submit in this thread. your plans sound good.

without water" - Sylvia A. Farle, Project Director
Sustainable Seas Expedition

Kenny

Current Tank Info: 24g nano. 60 cube in progress
kenny77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/06/2005, 02:01 PM   #8
Sinistard
Registered Member

I got some more done on the stand.

For the 2 end pieces I routed the edges. Both doors will be done this way as well.

Here is one of the end pieces, they will go on both ends of the stand in front of the Plywood.

Here is the frame with all 4 outside shell pieces stuck on. The top is just sitting there for now and I need to add the crown molding.

Here is what the crown molding will end up looking like on one of the ends. I was holding it up to the stand.

And now that I have the frame/shell all stuck together I'm sure it will hold a small car, its is heavy and sturdy as hell. Almost to heavy X)

Now all I need to do is make some doors, a bottom shelf, stick it together and paint.

Unread 09/06/2005, 08:41 PM   #9
Cody Ray
Registered Member

Very nice!

Current Tank Info: Mr. Aqua 7.5g bowfront
Cody Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/10/2005, 05:44 PM   #10
Sinistard
Registered Member

Socalcreations has a few pictures up of my tank in the works.

I have not had time to work on the stand but I hope to have it built by Tuesday so I can get it painted and sealed.

Unread 09/10/2005, 06:56 PM   #11
Chaotic Reefer4u
♥Acropora Aficionado♥

very nice, keep us posted!

Current Tank Info: * 90g. Reef Ready TruVu tank with 30g. Platinum Filtration Series Sump SpS Acro enthusiast *
Chaotic Reefer4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/10/2005, 07:07 PM   #12
Airman
Registered Member

Is there room for lights for the refugium? I’m tagging along.

Current Tank Info: 55 Gal, DSB, protein skimmer, UV light, Sump/Refugium
Airman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/10/2005, 07:10 PM   #13
Airman
Registered Member

I Need To Find A Wealthy Sugar Mama To Buy Me The Aquarium Of My Dream's! ><)))))*> ><)))))*>

I have a wealthy sugar Mama. She pays for aquarium and sends me to school. Life is very sweet for me.

Current Tank Info: 55 Gal, DSB, protein skimmer, UV light, Sump/Refugium
Airman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/10/2005, 07:47 PM   #14
Sinistard
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Airman
I Need To Find A Wealthy Sugar Mama To Buy Me The Aquarium Of My Dream's! ><)))))*> ><)))))*>

I have a wealthy sugar Mama. She pays for aquarium and sends me to school. Life is very sweet for me.
??

My stand is 36" tall so I should have room for lights over the fuge. I have not picked out the exact sizes for the sump and fuge, i'm going to wait until I have the stand done to figure it out but I should end up with around 12" above the fuge.

Unread 09/11/2005, 11:11 PM   #15
Sinistard
Registered Member

More work on the stand.

I got the doors done. For these I used pocket screws not biscuits to try it out. It went a bit easier.

I went ahead and screwed on the top.

And added the crown molding

Here it is with the doors setting in the opening

Unread 09/11/2005, 11:49 PM   #16
xdusty6920
Registered Member

very nice man. looking great. hows the acans doing? im sure theyll love the abundant space your gonna have. keep the pics coming

xdusty6920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/12/2005, 12:05 AM   #17
eatgoodfood
Registered Member

looks great, i wish i had the tools to go ahead and build a stand like that.. ever considered building furinture for a living :P

eatgoodfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/12/2005, 03:51 AM   #18
Sinistard
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by xdusty6920
very nice man. looking great. hows the acans doing? I'm sure they'll love the abundant space your gonna have. keep the pics coming
Thanks, I'm sure the acans will love the space, right now they have to share a very packed sand bed with other corals. They are doing great, one baby head has started to form and the rest are healing into full heads. I wish I could have the tank set up and ready to go by the frag swap on the 1st but I don't think it will happen.

Quote:
Originally posted by eatgoodfood
looks great, i wish i had the tools to go ahead and build a stand like that.. ever considered building furinture for a living :P
Thanks, I saw someones sig on here DIY does not save you money it just gives you and excuse to buy more tools .

I was actually thinking about building stands for people on the side to make a little money to pay for this hobby but am not sure I would have time. I guess if I could make a little money on it I could find time.

Last edited by Sinistard; 09/12/2005 at 04:02 AM.
Unread 09/13/2005, 07:14 PM   #19
Sinistard
Registered Member

Here are a few more pictures it's getting close to being done.

I stuck the hinges on and got mounted the doors to figure out what needed sanded or adjusted. I was very happy with how well they fit, the opening was a little out of square but it's hardly noticeable.

I added a piece of 3/4 ply to make the bottom of the stand. I plan on sticking silicone around the edges so if anything leaks inside the stand it will not end up on the rug under the stand.

Next I added 1/4 ply the the back of the doors and sanded the seams to be very flat.

Next I filled in any bigger gaps with wood filler and sanded the whole stand with 120 grit sand paper then 220 grit to give it a smooth finish.

I used Kitlz Oil based primer for the inside of the stand to make it extra water resistant.

Then I used Kiltz latex primer on the whole stand. I put on 2 coats and plan on putting on a finish coat of interior paint followed by a few coats of Minwax Polyacrylic to make it as water proof as I can.

Unread 09/14/2005, 08:08 PM   #20
Sinistard
Registered Member

Good new the tank is done and on its way. It should be here next Tuesday.

Here are picture from socalcreations site of the final product. It looks very nice I can't wait to see it in person.

Unread 09/20/2005, 01:00 PM   #21
Sinistard
Registered Member

The tank arrived today. It was very well packed and as far as I can tell it made it through the cross country trip undamaged. Thank you socalcreations for the help and delivering a great product.

Packaging

Outside was a cardboard box

Inside the cardboard was a box made out of a hard "cardboard" box

The box was filled with packing and foam blocks

Even has a foam panel to set the tank on when it goes on the stand

Free T-shirt

And the Tank

Now I just need to get the stand done. It's all built I just need to finish painting and sealing and it will be ready to go.

Well I'm off to get some plumbing supplies so I can get started.

Thanks again Socalcreations.

Unread 09/20/2005, 01:20 PM   #22
Ky_Yaker
Registered Member

Everything is looking great, I love to see DIY stands. I just wish I was good at woodworking, I would love to design and build something like that. Keep us posted as you progress.

Unread 09/20/2005, 05:40 PM   #23
Sinistard
Registered Member

Thanks spalmer, I'm really happy with the way my stand turned out. I really helps having the right tools

I hope to have the stand done in the next couple days, I'm probably still a few weeks out before I will be able to put water in the tank. More stuff to buy and to figure out.

Unread 09/20/2005, 07:26 PM   #24
Sinistard
Registered Member

Here is my start on plumbing supplies, I'm sure I will need more. I'm lucky savko plastic is around 10 min from my house so I can pick up all the stuff I need. http://www.savko.com/

This is what the guy sold me is it the right cement or is there a better one.

Unread 09/20/2005, 11:09 PM   #25
A\/enger
Premium Member

Looking good. Cant wait to see more! Again, that is such a perfect sized tank.

A\/enger is offline   Reply With Quote