Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Neptune Systems
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 12/23/2005, 11:36 AM   #1
clkwrk
Registered Member

Aqua controller II on the major fritz

Hi ,

I have an aquacontroller II which last night it really made me mad . ANyways I was sitting there and I started to hear lots of clicking . I look around the corner and my halides where turning off while my vho's were turn on and off. Needles to say I tried manual control and could not get things to come on . Well later they all came on when they weren't supposed to be and the ac II wouldn't let me turn them off so I replaced all of my x10's and controll module . I still had problems so I just unpluged my controll box and went to bed . Anyways I woke up to a halide on .

So needles to say I am stumpped.

I think I am going to dig out my OG aquacontroller and get that back online as I never once had any problems with it . Heck it never even got interference from my icecap ballasts either.

Any hints or help .

TIA

Old 12/23/2005, 11:49 AM   #2
clkwrk
Registered Member

BTW no new equipment is on or near the tank.

Old 12/23/2005, 01:20 PM   #3
Carlos
Premium Member

You running X10 or DC?

"Only a fool wants to hear the echo of his own voice."
"What do you want for nothing? rrrrrrubber biscuit?"

Current Tank Info: Custom 210 gal Reef Octopus Tank with SlimFlow overflow, IceCap 36XL Sump, Reef Octopus ELITE 200INT Skimmer, 2-Part Dosing, 3 x Giesemann VerVve, KH Guardian Alk Controller, ClariSea Roller Filter
Carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/23/2005, 03:21 PM   #4
clkwrk
Registered Member

As mentioned above I replace all my x10's with new ones

Wish I was running dc8's

Old 12/23/2005, 04:45 PM   #5
clkwrk
Registered Member

BTW I can't get it to turn any off my x10's on or off?

What gives?

Old 12/23/2005, 05:58 PM   #6
clp
RC Sponsor

Does the red light on the control interface blink off when X10 commands are sent? Use control & status -> manual control to manually turn on/off a device while watching the control interface.

Curt

clp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/23/2005, 06:02 PM   #7
clkwrk
Registered Member

yes

Old 12/23/2005, 06:05 PM   #8
clkwrk
Registered Member

I wonder if my powerstrip is going bad? Been using it for 9 months now no problems until now.

Even my original aqua controller can't operate anything either?

Old 12/23/2005, 06:07 PM   #9
clp
RC Sponsor

That indicates that the AquaController is working correctly. I have seen control interfaces that are broken, but the red LED still blinks. If you haven't changed anything around your tank, and you can control nothing, then I recommend replacing the control interface (part # IM513). Otherwise there is something causing X10 interference, and the source must be tracked down. Please see http://www.neptunesys.com/hardwareFAQ.htm#X10PROBLEM for some suggestions.

Curt

Old 12/23/2005, 06:33 PM   #10
clkwrk
Registered Member

Thanks BTW I have switched all my x10's and even control interfaces.

I am going to try a different power strip . Cause as of now I can get one item to turn on and off by manual control but the others still don't respond.

Old 12/23/2005, 09:45 PM   #11
clkwrk
Registered Member

Wow talk about one big frigging headheach.

Seriously . After switching out a few different power strips I have found 2 that are allowing my commands to go thru but they are delayed as before when I would manually control anything it would respond once the command was complete. Now there is a 5 sec delay .

I am curious can 1 bad x10 send off interference?

Old 12/29/2005, 04:43 PM   #12
clkwrk
Registered Member

Okay I don't know what's going on but my ACII is back to doing what it should when it should so I am clueless as to wat really happened. I search high and low and found nothing that was newly plugged in or bad .

Oh well.AT least my stuff works again.

I just wish the dc8 were cheaper.

Old 12/30/2005, 11:29 AM   #13
szwab
RC Mod

mine is doing the same thing
keep an eye on it. mine will be fine for a bit then just when I get comfortable the x10 starts acting up again.

Current Tank Info: AGE 240 Flatback Hex
szwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/30/2005, 08:08 PM   #14
1SickReefer
Registered Member

Are the DC 4 and 8's more reliable than the x10? Well I know they are but to what degree? Do the DC's ever fails or show delay?

How confident could I be for them to control a heater and a chiller? or my Co2 for that matter?

1SickReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/30/2005, 10:45 PM   #15
szwab
RC Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by jbirdjjones10
Are the DC 4 and 8's more reliable than the x10? Well I know they are but to what degree? Do the DC's ever fails or show delay?

How confident could I be for them to control a heater and a chiller? or my Co2 for that matter?
they should be 99.9% reliable I have heard of people having problems with the fuses though. it still uses an x10 type signal but it is fed directly into the unit and does not rely on the electrical lines for transportation.

Current Tank Info: AGE 240 Flatback Hex
szwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/06/2006, 10:11 AM   #16
JAANDGC
Registered Member

my problem has always been with the cheap relays in the x10, not the signal getting to the x10. Do the dc4,8 use the same relays?

JAANDGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/06/2006, 10:40 AM   #17
clp
RC Sponsor

They use completly different type of relay. Knock on wood, but there hasn't been a failure of a relay in a DC4HD yet.

Curt

Old 01/06/2006, 11:17 AM   #18
1SickReefer
Registered Member

Just received my new ACIII yesterday, looks sweet. Cant wait to hook it up this weekend

1SickReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/22/2006, 01:13 PM   #19
clkwrk
Registered Member

okay its back again This is really getting fustrating .

I am back to having no control no x10's will turn on or off.

I even when as far as putting my ac1 in place of my ac2 still no luck . I even switched through 3 power strips still nothing, switched 10x's nothing, switch interfaces nothing. But both interfaces blink when command is sent .

So I got curious and hooked up my ac1 in a different room and I got an x10 to switch on and off ???? So while leaving the ac1 on in one room I went back to the ac2 in another room and tried to turn off an x10 that had the same house code as the x10 hooked to the ac1.

Well the ac2 turned the x10 on and off that was in the other room but didn't turn the x10 thats on the tank with the ac2................

Why is my ac2 able to get a signal to another room to turn an x10 on and off but it can't turn the x10 on or off thats on the same plug as the ac2?????

Old 01/22/2006, 01:38 PM   #20
clkwrk
Registered Member

okay I did something else . I took both x10 with the same house code and put them on th epower strip with the ac1 both respond when commands are seen from either controller.

Meaning I can go into the other room and use the ac2 to turn off on on the x10s that are on the power strip with my ac1.

My ac1 also turns them both on and off also .

After this I took both x10s and ac1 and power supply and moved it to the tank and brough my ac2 into the other room . Same but just oppisite.

I am frigging lost and I didn't go to work this morning because of it I have too much riding on the controllers so its a problem I have to figure out or I have to dig out all my standard timers and controllers for everything and go back to the old days.

BTW these two rooms are on seaperate breakers but may be on the same leg ?

Old 01/22/2006, 01:49 PM   #21
clkwrk
Registered Member

okay now I put everything back the way I had it before I switched it around and now . The ac2 in the other room stopped contolling the x10 on the powerstrip with my ac1 in the other room . But the ac1 still controls x10s while in the other room.

Old 01/22/2006, 05:38 PM   #22
clkwrk
Registered Member

Okay I found my problem After many different things I found that my nano ballast for a 55 wattpc above the fuge has to be going bad . It was sending interference to all plugs on the same circut.