Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/10/2006, 09:17 PM   #1
Scoobaman17
Registered Member

Question this is my cleanup crew, bear with me..

Ok this is my cleanup crew list as of today for my new 24 gallon aquapod which I downsized from my 75 gallon reef:

6 Super Tongan Nassarius Snails , 3 turbos, about 3 cerith snails, a Red Brittle Sea Star, 2 peppermint shrimps, and about 3 Dwarf Red Tip Hermit Crabs.

Most of that list came from my 75 gallon reef during the transfer, how's that list look?

Also I still have 3 electric blue leg hermits and 4 electric orange leg hermits from my 75. The oranges have been getting quite large and a bit aggresive towards snails and other hermits, should I add one or two of these guys or take them back to the LSF? They are in a container in the tanks right now so I can do with them as I please.

About the Nassarius Snails, a very experienced guy told me to get as many of these guys as I can for my sand bed, so far they are awesome. What do you guys think?

Current Tank Info: 75g reef, 140g reef
Scoobaman17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/10/2006, 10:19 PM   #2
capncapo
Registered Member

The very experienced guy doesn't have a clue. A 75 gallon tank may support 5 Nassarius snails. A 24 gallon may support 2 at most. Nassarius snails are carrion eaters and need meaty foods. They'll eat meaty foods from the sandbed but not fish poop or a great deal of algae unless they're starved which will happen unless you add extra food for your.

Dr. Ron used to recommend that no hermits be included in the cleanup crew but said that if you had to have some, add no more than 1 per every 10 gallons so that would be 2 in your case.

Venture forth and enjoy life .... the only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth.

Current Tank Info: Which one?
capncapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/10/2006, 10:37 PM   #3
Scoobaman17
Registered Member

ok thanks! I'll remove the hermits, keep the 3 small red hermits i have, they have been in my tank for over 3 years, and take some of the Nassarius snails back to make 2 in the tank. I want the best for my tank and it seems that one "experienced" guy to the next changes.

Thanks again!

Current Tank Info: 75g reef, 140g reef
Scoobaman17 is offline   Reply With Quote