Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/03/2006, 11:03 AM   #1
raynist
Registered Member

ASM G3 with gate valve mod very inconsistent

Have a G3 on my 75g SPS tank. Last week it made a full cup of wet skimmate. I emptied the collection cup last night and did nothing else (did not clean it) and this morning the collection cup was overflowing with water. The water level did not change at all. What would cause this??

--ray

raynist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2006, 11:20 AM   #2
Reefmaniac1
Registered Member

Add any chemicals to the tank?

Spray anthing in the air near the tank?

Lots of things can cause the skimmer to go haywire. It isn't the skimmer itself; something has gotten into the water.

Current Tank Info: None due to disaster...and moving.
Reefmaniac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2006, 11:25 AM   #3
REEFUR
Moved On

adjust the out pipe

REEFUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2006, 11:27 AM   #4
raynist
Registered Member

I had my hands in the tank a couple of times last night and fed a drop or two of DTs, but that was it.

Unread 03/03/2006, 11:28 AM   #5
Reefmaniac1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by raynist
I had my hands in the tank a couple of times last night and fed a drop or two of DTs, but that was it.
Hands in the tank can easily do it, especially if you have some residual hand soap or something like that on them.

Current Tank Info: None due to disaster...and moving.
Reefmaniac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2006, 11:33 AM   #6
raynist
Registered Member

I thought that would stop it from skimming? It is almost like what would happen if the sump water level increased.

Unread 03/03/2006, 12:11 PM   #7
NoSchwag
Premium Member

I hate to say it but that might happen all of the time, this is the main reason I sold mine. My sh!t would dump tons of nasty skimmate back into my tank quite often. Sometimes nothing at all would change and the skimmer would freak out.

I don't know what it is but in my experience when you stick your hands in a tank with a becket type skimmer, the skimmer stops.. when you stick your hand in the tank with a needlewheel type skimmer, it overflows. I think it has to do with how the bubbles are made and the oils on your hand. I'm pretty sure the water being chopped by a needlewheel vs. the reaction the becket head creates under pressure are 2 totally different things.

I say lower your water and skim dry from now on.

Just my opinion. I'm probably way off with this, it's just what I observed.

Current Tank Info: Beckett skimmed, penductor flowed, luminarc lighted, UV sterilized, litermeter dosed, Aquacontroller controlled, SPS dominated, 120 BB tank.
NoSchwag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2006, 12:22 PM   #8
TwistedTiger
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by NoSchwag
I don't know what it is but in my experience when you stick your hands in a tank with a becket type skimmer, the skimmer stops.. when you stick your hand in the tank with a needlewheel type skimmer, it overflows.
I have a G3 and always have my hand in the tank messing with this or moving that and my skimmer never overflows. It does stop making foam for a while but the level never changes. I always rinse my hands and arms before so I don't bring anything unwanted into the tank. I would tend to believe that it is caused by chemicals entering the tank either through less than clean hands, additions by the tank owner or by airborn chemicals. JMO

TwistedTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2006, 12:29 PM   #9
dascharisma
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NoSchwag

I don't know what it is but in my experience when you stick your hands in a tank with a becket type skimmer, the skimmer stops.. when you stick your hand in the tank with a needlewheel type skimmer, it overflows.
I have found that my needlewheel skimmer reacts much less to having my hands in the tank than the beckett skimmer does, but neither skimmer overflows in response to me putting my hands in the tank. I have also had far more problems with my beckett overflowing than my needlewheel.

Brad

Current Tank Info: 420 gallon display, 900 gallon system. Volcano Skimmer, Tunze Streams, Neptune Controllers, Radium Bulbs, PFO HQI Ballasts, Tradewinds Chiller
dascharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2006, 12:48 PM   #10
raynist
Registered Member

I do keep the bubble up high on the collection cup which probably doesn't leave me with much margin for error. I will just adjust it to 1/2 way up and see how it works.

--Ray

Unread 03/03/2006, 01:01 PM   #11
Ramble On Rose
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by raynist
I do keep the bubble up high on the collection cup which probably doesn't leave me with much margin for error. I will just adjust it to 1/2 way up and see how it works.

--Ray
I struggled with my ASM for a month and thanks to the advice of someone in the ASM club thread, I lowered the bubbles to be even with the black band that connects the collection cup. It improved my skimmers performance 1000 times. Just set it low and let it sit for 2 days without changing anything. That and make sure the pump and venturi is clean.

Ramble On Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2006, 01:04 PM   #12
RichConley
Registered Member

Make sure the venturi and airline is clean.

Unread 03/03/2006, 10:34 PM   #13
fishaholic911
Registered Member

ditto

Current Tank Info: 80 gallon, vertex 150 skimmer, 2 mars aqua 165 watt leds and 2MP40WQD
fishaholic911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2006, 10:46 PM   #14
jc5205
Registered Member

I have my dirty hands in my tank all the time, never affected my
ASM G3. Has to be something else, food additives etc

jc5205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2006, 12:44 AM   #15
AlienSpawn
Registered Member

My G4 did this a few times, usually after addatives or messing with the tank. Doesnt seem to do it any more.

AlienSpawn is offline   Reply With Quote