Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Delaware Reef Club (DRC)
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/12/2006, 01:05 PM   #1
coogarts
Registered Member

Need some direction, guys

I'm in the planning stage of making a small sump for my 20g display, probably around a 12 - 15g sump. I had first thought about acrylic, but getting it shipped makes the cost of even cheap material double. I then thought about using a glass aquarium and installing baffles, but I haven't a clue as to where I could get glass cut.

So my question to those of you with tons more time in the hobby than myself (and hopefully experience with DIY) is there anywhere in DE I can get my hands on acrylic or a place where I can buy and have glass cut?

coogarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2006, 01:14 PM   #2
mbbuna
Moved On

just about any glass shop in the phone book will have acrylic in stock along with Home Depot and Lowes. and glass shops will cut glass to any size you need.

what part of De do you live in? if your up north i can give you the names of some good glass shops

mbbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2006, 01:24 PM   #3
coogarts
Registered Member

I live in North Wilmington. Thanks a bunch.

Unread 03/12/2006, 01:33 PM   #4
mbbuna
Moved On

i would try Kaufman glass first, 1303 Northeast Blvd. Wilm 645-9937

Unread 03/12/2006, 04:02 PM   #5
logans_daddy
Registered Member

better yet....do what Mr DIY GreenEyedBlackCat suggested to me and by a glass tank and use acrylic baffles. you can get a sheet of 1/4" acrylic at homedepot for $12 and cut it with a dremel. use a $3 tube of silicone to adhere the acrylic to the glass. here is one i helped my friend build. everything together was less than $50 including the 20gal tank and diamond bit to drill through the glass for return and sensors. the one Jim helped me build works like a champ.

shawn

logans_daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2006, 04:16 PM   #6
Sk8r
RC Mod

Cutting sheet glass yourself isn't too hard: you need a cutter (cheap), a good ruler, a steady and strong hand, and patience. Measure carefully, set your steel ruler in place, draw one unbroken, unhesitating line down the desired cut, place the scored line over the edge of any table/counter, and tap gently down the cut, holding your hand ready to receive the cut piece as it drops off. If you've drawn a strong, sure groove, it will part exactly there. You do not near need to go any depth into the glass. This works on plain, untempered glass. You'll want several scrap 'practice' pieces until you learn the right pressure and stroke.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2006, 04:37 PM   #7
coogarts
Registered Member

Sk8r, I may need to go through quite a few practice sheets, but that's a definite option.

Logans_daddy, what kind of silicone do you use for an acrylic to glass bond?

Unread 03/12/2006, 04:47 PM   #8
logans_daddy
Registered Member

any silicone will work(except for bathroom/kitchen) and they do make "aquarium safe" silicone. i get it free from work. i used GE windows/doors on the first sump.

Unread 03/12/2006, 05:14 PM   #9
cmondo
Registered Member

I made my fuge from a ten gallon tank and glass that i got cut at sears for real cheap. And you can get many designs on the web and find the one that you want. Also doing the silicone is real easy, just make sure that you have something to rest the glass on to keep it in place while you are working. goodluck

cmondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2006, 05:18 PM   #10
coogarts
Registered Member

Logans_daddy, I appreciate the input, but I have one last question. Where in Home Depot can I find the acrylic, and does the acrylic go by a specific name?

Cmondo, you got glass cut at Sears? Where?

Unread 03/12/2006, 06:16 PM   #11
mbbuna
Moved On

the acrylic from HD can be found in the lumber department, plexiglass is acrylic. just remember that silicone doesnt adhere to well to acrylic so if you have any water pressure the seal will break

Unread 03/12/2006, 06:26 PM   #12
logans_daddy
Registered Member

i dont know mmbuna...once it sets its on there pretty good. i can grab one of my baffles and lift the entire fuge by it. but i also used a LOT of silicone. also....there isnt much pressure on the baffles at all. here is a great site with plenty of example fuges.

http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html

btw....im not sure if the north wilmington HD is layed out like the one in new castle, but the acrylic is on the end of the windows and doors isle with the lexan.

shawn

Unread 03/12/2006, 11:10 PM   #13
mbbuna
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by logans_daddy
i dont know mmbuna...once it sets its on there pretty good.

shawn
that was just a heads up but if you want to see my broken sump baffles you can stop by any time

Unread 03/13/2006, 11:23 AM   #14
logans_daddy
Registered Member

no...i definitely believe you.....but as you can see from my pic....my philoshpy when it comes to silicone that you will never see... MORE IS BETTER.

shawn

Unread 03/13/2006, 01:23 PM   #15
MadTownMax
***erately knowledgable

I think cmondo and I both get our glass from sears hardware in the college square shopping center in Newark
'
they have cheap glass and cheap cuts - maybe $.50 a cut - although they've cut it for me plenty of times for free (just charged me for the pane of glass that I bought) total cost for a pane of double-layer glass was like $10 - if you can find some pieces in their scrap heap, it will be even cheaper

MadTownMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2006, 01:38 PM   #16
cmondo
Registered Member

Thanks Nick, yeah that is where I got my glass, but i think i got lucky cuz all of my glass totalled up to 3 bucks for all the baffles.

cmondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2006, 01:40 PM   #17
MadTownMax
***erately knowledgable

lol - yeah, last time I was there, my bill was 50 cents since it was scrap and I only wanted one cut, but I wouldn't want to quote that price to anyone and have them be dissappointed

Unread 03/13/2006, 02:50 PM   #18
coogarts
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MadTownMax
I think cmondo and I both get our glass from sears hardware in the college square shopping center in Newark
'
they have cheap glass and cheap cuts - maybe $.50 a cut - although they've cut it for me plenty of times for free (just charged me for the pane of glass that I bought) total cost for a pane of double-layer glass was like $10 - if you can find some pieces in their scrap heap, it will be even cheaper
Sears cuts glass? I had no idea. I'd imagine this would be done in the hardware section, correct?

Unread 03/13/2006, 02:57 PM   #19
MadTownMax
***erately knowledgable

the sears that we're referring to is just a hardware store (sign reads "Sears Hardware") - I don't think other Sears' would do the same.

It is located in the College Square shopping center - Take I-95 to 273 towards newark, the shopping center is at the intersection of 273 and 72 (kirkwood HWY).

Unread 03/13/2006, 03:12 PM   #20
coogarts
Registered Member

You guys have been amazing. I appreciate it.

Ok, this is my last question in regards to this issue. When I go to this Sears, what kind of glass should I ask for and what kind of sealant should I purchase?

Unread 03/13/2006, 03:18 PM   #21
mbbuna
Moved On

plate glass is fine, and window and door silicone. dont use kitchen and bath silicone, it has fungicides in it

Unread 03/13/2006, 03:27 PM   #22
coogarts
Registered Member

Great! Once I have my sump up and running, I plan on adding corals not soon after and hopefully I can be a contributing member to the DRC.

Unread 03/13/2006, 10:04 PM   #23
Tbor
Registered Member

welcome to the DRC coogarts! PM me with your email if you want to be on our mailing list.
Thanks for the sump link Shawn, I see some designs for a 29g... think I have a new project on my hands! Luckily I have lots of empty 10g tanks around as a base structure...
-Mary

Tbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2006, 10:26 PM   #24
tetra9999
Registered Member

it is very easy to cut the glass panes that HD or Lowes sells they are really thin, I was able to even cut some 1/4" glass with the scoring tool they sell. The tool is like 8 or 9 bucks. You score it once and snap off the end. Be extremely careful with the cut pieces as they are razor sharp. I went with glass on glass because my friend said his acyrlic to glass didnt hold over time.

Try to place the cut end facing down in your sump/fuge so you dont come in contact with the sharp end when your doing maintenance on your sump/fuge.

Current Tank Info: 135g inwall 28g hqi nano
tetra9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2006, 10:59 PM   #25
SerranidTerror
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mbbuna
plate glass is fine, and window and door silicone. dont use kitchen and bath silicone, it has fungicides in it
Yeah you wouldn't want to kill your mushroom corals now would ya Sorry couldnt resist!

Nice thread and great info!

SerranidTerror is offline   Reply With Quote