Reef Central Online Community
Tunze USA

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 06/15/2006, 10:07 PM   #1
BlueNWhite
Registered Member

Anthias ID Please.

Could someone tell me what kind of Anthias this is.

Thanks,
Raymond

BlueNWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/16/2006, 07:38 AM   #2
NexDog
Snail Killer

Lyretail Anthias (Pseudanthias squamipinnis). The blue lines under the eye are a dead giveaway.

340g In-Wall Envision Tank and 150g Sump.

Current Tank Info: Deltec 902, PFO hood with 3x400w Radium 20k and 4x96w PC's. Hammerhead closed loop - and 2 x Tunze 6105 (and Vortech still sucks).
NexDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/16/2006, 07:45 AM   #3
SDguy
Fish heads unite!

Actually, looks like dispar to me. Tough to tell with the blurry pic, but the red dorsal says dispar to me. Does it have a pointy or rounded snout?

SDMAS member

Marine tanks since 1989.

><((((>`..`..`...><((((>
`.. , . .`.. ><((((>

Current Tank Info: 150g reborn anemone reef. 240g butterfly and angel FOWLR. 15g QT.
SDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/16/2006, 09:58 AM   #4
CamBarr
Registered Member

dispar

Old 06/16/2006, 10:06 AM   #5
BlueNWhite
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SDguy
Actually, looks like dispar to me. Tough to tell with the blurry pic, but the red dorsal says dispar to me. Does it have a pointy or rounded snout?
You are right, the picture is quite blurry. I'm still learning how to use the digital camera properly.

I'll have to check on the snout when I get home, but so far it looks like it's two to one for Dispar over Lyretail. Thanks to Laurence, Cam and yourself.

Would there be a problem if I bought a shoal of 6-9 Lyretails? And if that's ok, given that I might already have a male Dispar in the tank, would you recommend that I get all female Lyretails or make one a male?

Old 06/16/2006, 10:10 AM   #6
besl
Registered Member

I'm going with dispar also - I have lyretails and the coloring is different - orange body with all yellow fins - yours has red which makes me think its a dispar. Do you know if this is male or female - may help id it better.

Current Tank Info: 55 Gal, 260W CF, 60 lbs LR, CC base, 7 fish, 10 corals, Aquafuge - chaetomorpha & grape
besl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/16/2006, 10:16 AM   #7
BlueNWhite
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by besl
I'm going with dispar also - I have lyretails and the coloring is different - orange body with all yellow fins - yours has red which makes me think its a dispar. Do you know if this is male or female - may help id it better.
Sorry I don't know if it is a male or female because until now, I was not even sure which type of Anthias it was. I think when I bought it, it was called Red Fin or something like that.

Old 06/16/2006, 11:08 AM   #8
NexDog
Snail Killer

In that case it's a Dispar. Some people call Dispars the Redfin Anthias. Dispars typically aren't that orange though.

340g In-Wall Envision Tank and 150g Sump.

Current Tank Info: Deltec 902, PFO hood with 3x400w Radium 20k and 4x96w PC's. Hammerhead closed loop - and 2 x Tunze 6105 (and Vortech still sucks).
NexDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/16/2006, 11:09 AM   #9
SDguy
Fish heads unite!

Quote:
Originally posted by BlueNWhite
Sorry I don't know if it is a male or female because until now, I was not even sure which type of Anthias it was. I think when I bought it, it was called Red Fin or something like that.
I think red fin is another name for dispar. I think they're sometimes called peach anthias too. Yours looks to be a male, or at least changing. Does the store you got it from have more? Does yours eat? If so, take advantage of a healthy batch, and get some more perhaps.

SDMAS member

Marine tanks since 1989.

><((((>`..`..`...><((((>
`.. , . .`.. ><((((>

Current Tank Info: 150g reborn anemone reef. 240g butterfly and angel FOWLR. 15g QT.
Old 06/16/2006, 12:25 PM   #10
Angel*Fish
cats and large squashes

Definitely dispar

Yellow tail means female but the photo looks like the whole dorsal fin is red which would indicate a male

If those 2 skinny fins on the front ventral side below the gill are extra long, it's a male (Sorry can't think of what they're called)

My guess without futher photos is female - FWIW

So long, & thanks for all the fish!

Current Tank Info: Pairs: flame angels, cherub angels, Red Sea mimic blennies, yellow fin fairy wrasses, clowns, mandarins, blackcap basslets, shrimp gobies, damsels, dispar anthias, yellow clown gobies, threadfin cardinals --- Tanks: 100g reef, 2 x 30g refugiums
Angel*Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/16/2006, 01:29 PM   #11
BlueNWhite
Registered Member

Quote:
...Does the store you got it from have more? Does yours eat? If so, take advantage of a healthy batch, and get some more perhaps.
I've had it in my tank for about two months now, and it's by itself. I bought it as a trio, but one of them had a small brown spot that got bigger and bigger as if it were a flesh eating disease. Shortly after that one died, the next small one also died. This last one is eating very well and looks to be a keeper.

So if it was the dominant female and started changing when the other two were still around, but never finished it's transition to male, is it possible that it is in limbo. I ask because it sounds like it has a mix of the physical features of a male and female that all of you are bringing up, i.e. the entire dorsal fin is red, and the '2 skinny fins' are not very long. Maybe 'it's' confused. That's why he is hanging around with the chromis.

Old 06/16/2006, 03:11 PM   #12
SDguy
Fish heads unite!

A lot of times anthias will get full male coloration, but only after a long time will they get those extra long caudal tips, pelvic fins, dorsal spine, etc. IME. If he's doing fine, I wouldn't worry about him needing others of his kind. Maybe go with some barlett's if you want more anthias (hardier, similar shape to dispar, less scappy than lyretail).

SDMAS member

Marine tanks since 1989.

><((((>`..`..`...><((((>
`.. , . .`.. ><((((>

Old 06/16/2006, 04:46 PM   #13
tatoofr
Registered Member

Hi,
They are Dispars,
Can you tell me what you feed them?
I just picked up 5 of them today, one Male , 4 females.
They just came in so not feeding at the store yet>

Thanks,
Frank

Current Tank Info: 120 reef
tatoofr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/16/2006, 09:11 PM   #14
BlueNWhite
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tatoofr
Hi,
They are Dispars,
Can you tell me what you feed them?
I just picked up 5 of them today, one Male , 4 females.
They just came in so not feeding at the store yet>

Thanks,
Frank
His/her daily diet is primarily flakes. I alternate between a spirulina flake and a red coloured flake (both by Ocean Nutrition).

I didn't find it hard to get it to eat. As long as they are not breathing rapidly at the start, they should eventually be ok. Keep us updated.

Good luck.

Old 06/28/2006, 11:38 AM   #15
tatoofr
Registered Member

Hi,
Just to let you know all 9 are eating well and doing great.
Thanks,
Frank

Current Tank Info: 120 reef
Old 06/29/2006, 08:25 PM   #16
Chihuahua6
Premium Member

tatoofr do you have 5 or 9? What store did you get them from? I'm originally from Long Island so I was just curious. I was considering adding some Dispars once my tank is up and matured a bit. I don't hear of many people keeping them so it's good to hear success stories. I was going to order mine from Liveaquaria. How long did it take you to get them to eat?

Current Tank Info: First salt tank 1985, current tank 150 g acrylic
Chihuahua6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/29/2006, 10:04 PM   #17
BlueNWhite
Registered Member

Quote:
A lot of times anthias will get full male coloration, but only after a long time will they get those extra long caudal tips, pelvic fins, dorsal spine, etc. IME. If he's doing fine, I wouldn't worry about him needing others of his kind. Maybe go with some barlett's if you want more anthias (hardier, similar shape to dispar, less scappy than lyretail).
Thanks for the response SDguy.

I came across three more Dispars. Two of them are just about or over 2" while one of them was only about 1.5". Sadly but not surprised, the smallest one didn't accept any food even though it was swimming around. But the other two are doing fine and eating along with the original Dispar which will likely be the male.

Is the male more of a yellow/orange color throughout the whole body including the tail and only red on the top fin? Are the females more of a pinkish/reddish color on the body?

Thanks,
Raymond

Old 06/30/2006, 05:50 AM   #18
tatoofr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Chihuahua6
tatoofr do you have 5 or 9? What store did you get them from? I'm originally from Long Island so I was just curious. I was considering adding some Dispars once my tank is up and matured a bit. I don't hear of many people keeping them so it's good to hear success stories. I was going to order mine from Liveaquaria. How long did it take you to get them to eat?
Hi,
I had 5 and the next day they all started eating, so I went back and added 4 more.
I got them at pets warehouse in long Island. $18 each -

Frank

Old 06/30/2006, 08:08 AM   #19
Chihuahua6
Premium Member

Only $18 each!? That's a great price. Pets Warehouse did have nice fish from what I remember. My parents are coming here for a visit. It's tempting to have them pick up some Anthias for me, although they are driving and leaving at 3:00 am. The fish would be in transit for over 24 hours.

Current Tank Info: First salt tank 1985, current tank 150 g acrylic
Chihuahua6 is offline   Reply With Quote