Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/21/2006, 02:12 AM   #1
josh66
Registered Member

riff 500 choice

hello what do you think of a riff system for a 24 inch cube tank is this a good choice friend is selling his says he had no problems but im unsure any help...would be a ..yes help

josh 66

josh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/21/2006, 02:13 AM   #2
josh66
Registered Member

further to this its a rif f500 with the pre filter bioballs and the skimmer

josh66

Unread 06/21/2006, 09:01 AM   #3
BLockamon
Registered Member

The skimmer on the Reef 500 (Turboflotor, right?) should be OK for a 24" cube. I would recommend taking out the bioballs if you are doing a reef system. Use live rock and sand for you biological filtration and add chemical filtration to the filter in place of the bioballs.

BLockamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/21/2006, 12:52 PM   #4
josh66
Registered Member

hello.thanks for that bit of info..bio balls are geting a bad name .ive set my sump up to use these in the first compartment and have 2 others for other media or whatever antiphos ....now its looking like i might have to change my sump about and try and use live sand and maybe miracle mud..not sure and algae.can i not have the bio balls and other media in the sump and live rock in the main tank..what do you think

Unread 06/21/2006, 06:04 PM   #5
BLockamon
Registered Member

It's possible to use bio balls; I did for a while. However, they tend to become fouled and then turn into nitrate factories. You'd be better off using a good amount of live rock in the tank as the biological filtration.

If you do decide to use bio balls, use good filters before them. Also, you should clean them frequently (only 1/3 at a time though).

BLockamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/22/2006, 05:42 AM   #6
josh66
Registered Member

thanks for that info,another question my trickle tower is going to be partly underwater due to me not silioning the next glass partition the right hight..good few inches higher then my bio balls in the said trickle tower would you recommend removing this glass and get it bang on or does it really matter if say a quarter of the bios are under water..i thought this would serve as a bubble breakdown to the next compartment thats my lazy way of not wanting to mess about with glass again..regards
josh 66