Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08/13/2006, 06:39 PM   #1
bellorusha
Registered Member

all fish dying. why? (pics)

I have a 90 gal. tank with 100lb LR for about 4-5 month. Did not lost any fish.

It started 5 days ago with my Brown Powder

I cannot even describe this that is why I have a few pictures

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then it was my big Yellow Tang. Something like this only white color start to sticking to his body. I tried to do freshwater dipping but it did not help. The next day I did 20-25% water change. After 2-3 hours it died.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then I found both firefish behind the tank, they jumped out.
Still cannot find my Clown Fish.

Today I noticed that somekind of plants (algae may be) is growing very very fast in my tank.

Here is the pic from Friday, and there is nothing there on the pump

and here is the pics from Sun. 2 days later

And the ping stuff is growing on a glass

Water is fine accept the Nitrate. It is high - 80-120ppm

Any ideas on what can I be? I have 2 fish left and corals.

Today Angel fish died.

bellorusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/13/2006, 07:40 PM   #2
cheeks69
Registered Member

How long has this tank been setup ? How big is the tank ? How many fish total did you have ? Do you quarantine all of your fish ? You say your water is fine but with nitrates that high clearly indicate it's not, what are you using for filtration ? How often do you do water changes ?

It looks to be either crypto or marine velvet.
Here's some good info on Amyloodiniosis aka "Marine Velvet" and check to see if the symptoms are similar to what your fish are going thru:

Marine velvet

cheeks69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/13/2006, 07:56 PM   #3
arizona tech
Registered Member

i agree it looks like velvet, bad stuff, start a qt tank if you have one

arizona tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/13/2006, 09:43 PM   #4
BTTRFLYGRL
Registered Member

OMG!! Those poor fish!! looks like Velvet to me also...You should have set up a quarantine and treated them ASAP! Copper would have been the best treatment since it treats Ich and Velvet

How long have you had these fish? Was the Powder Brown the last addition? These fish, like the Powder Blue, are VERY prone to ich , velvet and other parasites

If any fish are left, treat them in a qt tank and leave your tank fallow for 6+ weeks

Current Tank Info: 240 gallon FOWLR, 180 gallon reef, 55 gallon for my Dwarf Lion
BTTRFLYGRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/14/2006, 08:01 AM   #5
bellorusha
Registered Member

Brown Powder was in my tank for 4 month and big Yellow tang for 3 month. I have 2 fish left. Fox Face, small yellow tang. Also I have 2 Gubbie and 2 shrimps and 1 Anemone.
I do not think I can catch those 2 fish.

The setup is about 6 month old. I did not use qurantine tank because I'm buying my fish from good store. I change water every week. Acctually I just add water every week (5 gallon) The only filter I use is the protein skimer.

I do not think that is the "velvet" because my fish ate all the time, it did not swim near the surface, did not scratch. It happened very fast with all my fish, almost within one day.

Why is this stuff, I showed you, start growing so fast? I did look like this stuff was growing on the fish. You cannot see on a pics because it was very small.

Old 08/14/2006, 08:12 AM   #6
cheeks69
Registered Member

When was your last fish addition ?

Quote:
I did not use qurantine tank because I'm buying my fish from good store
Does the store keep their fish in copper and UV tanks ? How long do they hold the fish before they sell it ? The infected fish if at the LFS for a short period of time may not show any symptoms of disease...you must Q and treat accordingly don't leave it up to the LFS or you'll end up with alot of dead fish !

cheeks69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/14/2006, 08:46 AM   #7
bellorusha
Registered Member

now i know. and already started the QT a week ago. but what can I do now? Do i have to remove all the stones and catch them? all the fish? and leave it for six weeks with no fish?

What about the the staff wich growing like crazyy?

Old 08/14/2006, 08:56 AM   #8
LargeAngels
Premium Member

There is no such thing as a "good store." They all have the possibility of carrying parasites into your display tank. There are stores that are proactive in trying to minimize or kill as many parasites as possible. But there are no stores that are 100% safe. You are always taking a rish when you buy a fish from a store and put it in the main display tank right away.

Looks live velvet and unfortunately velvet multiplies much much faster than ich. Only solution is to leave tank fishless for 4-6 weeks and treat all fish with copper.

LargeAngels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/14/2006, 01:46 PM   #9
bellorusha
Registered Member

What about the the staff wich growing like crazyy?

anybody?

that is lots of stuff for 2 days

Old 08/14/2006, 01:54 PM   #10
LargeAngels
Premium Member

Nitrate is WAY TOO HIGH. You have to get the nitrates down. Are you using RO water? If not what is the nitrate level of the water you use for water changes? Your tap water may just be way too high in nitrates. "Stuff" on the pump is algae from too much nutrients in the water combined with strong lighting. Get the nitrates down with lots of water changes using RO water.

Old 08/14/2006, 02:05 PM   #11
bellorusha
Registered Member

what is RO water? and I use regular tab water. I did 20-25% change water it Nitrate did not go down. I'll check Nitrate in my tab water today. What can I do to remove it?

Old 08/14/2006, 02:28 PM   #12
LargeAngels
Premium Member

RO is Reverse Osmosis.

Old 08/14/2006, 09:19 PM   #13
Gixxer2202
Registered Member

Quote:
I change water every week. Acctually I just add water every week (5 gallon)
If you are not removing water from the tank but are just adding to evaperated water per week, that is why your nitrates are so High. Your must remove and add water to consider it a water change. IMO

Gixxer2202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/15/2006, 05:59 AM   #14
BTTRFLYGRL
Registered Member

You say you you just add water every week, do you use tap water conditioners ? Is it plain water or saltwater? Evaporated water should be replaced with plain water or you SG will get too high
The stuff on your tank is algae due to your water source..R/O Water is best...But you can still get nuisance algae with an R/O unit if you don't take care of your tank..I do weekly water changes on both my tanks....but I actually REMOVE water and replace it ..
You really should worry more about what killed your fish so fast, have you added anything to your tank recently?? ANYTHING??

Current Tank Info: 240 gallon FOWLR, 180 gallon reef, 55 gallon for my Dwarf Lion
Old 08/15/2006, 07:39 AM   #15
bellorusha
Registered Member

Yes I added pair of Clown fish, and one of them died next day, that is when everything started.

I use regular tab water (5g bottle). I add water then add salt to mix it and then I add conditioner.

I did not remove water every week because I had to add 5g every week. So basicly I'm changing water every week with 5g. My tank is 90 (-100lb LR so it is giving me about 75g of water and 10% of 75 = 7.5g)

I still have 4 fish in the tank, and I cannot catch them. They also hidding in rocks. May be there is a reason? Because they used swim all around. Yellow tang looks sick but foxfoce and gubbie looks normal.

Old 08/15/2006, 07:49 AM   #16
Hendersonracing
Moved On

you have to remove atleat 10-20% of the water every week to eliminate algae & nitrate growth....then add fresh RO water mixed with fresh salt of your choice I actually let my RO & salt set overnight with pumps going to get it mixed well then test it to make sure it is compatable with the show tank!

Hendersonracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/15/2006, 08:23 AM   #17
LargeAngels
Premium Member

Water evaporates (not saltwater, just water) from the tank so by adding the 5 gallons of water everyweek you are not doing any water changes.

You actually have to remove 5 gallons of salt water and then add pre-mixed saltwater (as stated above) back into the tank.

Old 08/15/2006, 09:18 AM   #18
BTTRFLYGRL
Registered Member

Have you checked your salinity? You are adding saltwater to replace evaporated water ...The water evaporates, not the salt..Salinity rises with evaporation. Top offs should be done with plain water-no salt added..You are not doing water changes by replacing evaporated water

You say this all started when you added a Clown...What kind of Clown? Was it tank raised or wild caught? This now raises the question of Brooklynella..Yes, other types fish can get Brook.
Your fish are probably hiding because they are sick..You need to get a qt set up and get them out. You need to get a proper diagnosis because Velvet and Brook are treated with different meds..It is possible you could give the fish 3 formalin dips-3 days apart and also treat them in a quarantine with copper if you are not sure what you are dealing with. You need to leave your tank fallow for at least 6 weeks to make sure that the parasite will die off

Old 08/15/2006, 09:37 AM   #19
Hendersonracing
Moved On

id say its from extreme salinity...adding 5 gallons a week and not removing the salt will add up fast..

Hendersonracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/15/2006, 11:54 AM   #20
bellorusha
Registered Member

I did not know that. And that is exactly what happend. Because every other week I had to add fresh water because salt level was high. I'm trying to keep 0.25

Do I have to remove guppies , anemone and shrimps as well?

thanks guys.

Old 09/11/2006, 01:55 PM   #21
bellorusha
Registered Member

it is been almost a month since I took away all my fish. Can I put some shirmps and snails now? or it is better to wait a few more weeks and then add everything (fish, shrimp etc.)

thanks

Old 09/11/2006, 03:34 PM   #22
Billybeau1
Registered Member

bell, how is your algae outbreak doing ? If you are using tap water from NY, your phosphates are probably through the roof. Thats why the algae outbreak. Get a good PO4 test and check it.

Billybeau1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/11/2006, 04:47 PM   #23
bellorusha
Registered Member

all algae almost gone. (90% gone) I test tap water and the nitrate is fine (less then 20)

Old 09/11/2006, 05:40 PM   #24
skippy2
Registered Member

Could you list your other parameters? That would be the only way to tell you if you could add anything yet.

Current Tank Info: 75g reef 250w Reeflux 12k
skippy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/11/2006, 06:46 PM   #25
Billybeau1
Registered Member

The nitrates in my tap water are 0. The next thing you should invest in is a good ro/di. You wont be sorry.

Billybeau1 is offline   Reply With Quote