Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself > The R3CA Project
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/19/2006, 08:57 PM   #1
thomAZ
Registered Member

Programmable relay as controller?

Has anyone seen one of these? Programmable Relay
I used the free programing software to write a test program and it looked like it would do most of the things I wanted. I need to figure out how to do the temp. You can also run the program in simulator mode to test it out. I thought it had some potential.

thomAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/21/2006, 06:01 PM   #2
easttn
Premium Member

Nice find. If you can wire the outboard isolation relays your good to go. That same webpage offers temp controllers, use those as an input to the PR. Give it a shot. The analog in can do your pH. You'll need a 24VDC power supply.

HONOR.......Simply put, A VETERAN - whether Active Duty, Retired, National Guard or Reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "Up to and including my life." That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand that. --Author Unknown--

Current Tank Info: Maintenance Free
easttn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2006, 11:09 PM   #3
marm64
Registered Member

I have used the Simen Logo!, Allen Bradley Pico, and the Telemecanique Zelio and they all work good. The one thing that is needed is a real time clock built in. The Logo! is nice for analog input logic since it has built in hysteresis function.

This looks like a good unit and has expansion and the software is free. I am going to take a look at it and see what it has to offer.

marm64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2006, 11:41 PM   #4
thomAZ
Registered Member

I beleive the TECO has real time clock built in. Check out the free software for programming it. It sounds like you have more experience than I do. I think it would work pretty good. I don't think it has any math functions if that was something you needed to convert probe outputs or something.

thomAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/27/2006, 03:42 PM   #5
marm64
Registered Member

It does indeed have a real time clock. They also sell the comm cable for pretty cheap and are expandable. The software is not as nifty as some of the others but I think for the money it is a pretty cheap controller. The couple of drawbacks that I saw was that the clock timers were not as flexible, fine for turning lights on and off, and there are not a lot of analog functions.

marm64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2007, 03:42 PM   #6
best49erfan
Registered Member

I have a pico and it is good. no analog or clock, but it works well. that controller is half the price of the pico. the pico comm cable is $75.

best49erfan is offline   Reply With Quote