Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/13/2006, 07:17 AM   #1
ultraxr
Premium Member

Neon BTA exploded/shredded to pieces??

I recently purchased a gorgeous neon BTA last week or so. This morning before I stepped out of the house for work. I noticed something missing. My first thought was; "The BTA moved!!". It was still early so only the moonlights were on. I used my key chain LED to look around the tank for it since the LED's definitely lights things up especially the anemone and other corals. I started to find pieces that were glowing from the LED. It was tip pieces of the anemone! I started seeing chunks of what I assumed were anemone flesh.

The tank is a 120 which a Hippo tang, powder brown tang, and a pair of perc clownfishes. For corals there are Toadstool leathers, fiji yellow, neon goniopora/flower pot, bubble coral, devil's hand leather, and some zoos.

The only thing I can guess on is maybe the Powder Brown tang, only because its like the most aggressive fish in my tank. I have never seen it bother the anemone. My clowns completely ignores the BTA and hosts the goni instead. *constantly moving the goni around due to the clown ****ing it off*. I can't see the powerheads (two Seio 1500) being a cause cause their plenty far up from where the BTA was and didn't have any flesh piece stuck in them.

Any ideas what make have caused this? The BTA seemed fine to me. During the day it would sort of shrink up but as soon as the lights go out and its just the moonlights, it would open up and triple in size.

Hope you guys can help.

ultraxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2006, 07:40 AM   #2
gastone
Registered Member

Anemones move around looking for an ideal spot. My guess is the powerhead got him.

Garrett.

Current Tank Info: 42Hex, 250W Radium in a lumenarc mini + 2x24W T5 Blue+ and 2x24W T5 actinic connected to a 30 gallon zoanthid tank currently lit by 4x39W T5 (Actinic, blue+, pro color, blue+)
gastone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2006, 08:26 AM   #3
OrionN
Moved on

It's the powerhead. Tangs and Ocellaris are all innocent.

OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2006, 08:37 AM   #4
Reef4Fun
Registered Member

My guess is the powerhead also, thats pretty much the only way it would be shreded as you describe, and as OrionN said, tangs and ocellaris are all innocent.

Current Tank Info: Reef has sps, lps, softies, maroon clown, 3 anemones, 2 mated damsels, purple tang, yellow tang, shrimps,
Reef4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2006, 08:48 AM   #5
zoozilla
Registered Member

ultraxr - So sorry to hear about your BTA. I agree with the posts above, the powerhead is the likely culprit. Do you have any peppermint shrimp? They too end up eating/shredding anemones into pieces.

Current Tank Info: ~180 Display + 40 NAGA Built Sump + 30 Fuge + 30 BTA & Misc Tank
zoozilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2006, 11:29 AM   #6
ultraxr
Premium Member

I figured the tangs and clowns were innocent. But my Seios "intake" to the powerheads are so small... could an anemone really get sucked into the Seio's slits/powerhead? Can hermit crabs do this? There were some crabs around it before i went to bed (12:30am). I woke and and saw this disaster at 7am.

Unread 11/13/2006, 11:32 AM   #7
gastone
Registered Member

Yep, they sure can. You would be amazed by the size hole that an anemone can fit through. They don't have a skeletal structure and are 99% (give or take) water.

Your hermits probably aren't the culprits either.

Current Tank Info: 42Hex, 250W Radium in a lumenarc mini + 2x24W T5 Blue+ and 2x24W T5 actinic connected to a 30 gallon zoanthid tank currently lit by 4x39W T5 (Actinic, blue+, pro color, blue+)
gastone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2006, 12:53 PM   #8
ultraxr
Premium Member

it sure is tramatizing seeing chunks of glowing tenticles floating around though... =/

Unread 11/13/2006, 02:24 PM   #9
OrionN
Moved on

This is a fairly common end of captive anemones (kill by PH).

OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2006, 08:34 PM   #10
R33f3r
Anemones Anonymous

Unfortunately this is very common with BTA's inparticluar (killed by Ph's). That is one reason I don not keep them, they just wander too much. Sorry to hear about your loss.

Unread 11/13/2006, 10:46 PM   #11
ultraxr
Premium Member

thanks guys...

I feel guilty now, i've been reading up on S. giganteas and I'm in love. hahahaha i have sent emails to numerous venders asking them to notify me asap when they have one in stock. particularly the Blue ones... but i'll settle for a lovely purple or bright green one. =)

Unread 11/14/2006, 12:38 AM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ultraxr
thanks guys...

I feel guilty now, i've been reading up on S. giganteas and I'm in love. hahahaha i have sent emails to numerous venders asking them to notify me asap when they have one in stock. particularly the Blue ones... but i'll settle for a lovely purple or bright green one. =)
If you didnt do your reading on BTA's the last thing I reccomend for you is an S. Gigantea.

It will most likely end up dead as well.

COVER THOSE DAMN POWERHEADS!!!!!

Unread 11/14/2006, 06:17 AM   #13
ultraxr
Premium Member

oh, trust me... I'm still nowhere near getting another anemone. I already wrapped the inlets to both my Seio 1500s with some nylon mesh/screen mesh with a zip tie holding it down.

Unread 11/14/2006, 12:19 PM   #14
GSMguy
Registered Member

powerheads are deadly my old huge long tentacled nem got stuck in a inlet tube one night and my clowns spent the night with it luckilly it was so huge it just clogged it up and didnt die

Current Tank Info: 48"x27"x14" Envision Acrylic rimless, 6x39w ATi Sunpower, Custom ATB Deluxe Skimmer, 4x tunze nano stream,ATB flowstar 1500, ACJR, Tunze osmolator.
GSMguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2006, 12:38 PM   #15
ultraxr
Premium Member

thats some "ride and die" devoted clowns. =) Glad to hear you had a survival story. =)

Unread 11/14/2006, 03:31 PM   #16
Reef4Fun
Registered Member

I had a sebea anemone get stuck in a power head, it was covered too, but it managed to get stuck in the fine openings of the cover anyway, I turned the ph off and had to take it out along with the anemone, and cut the cover off of the anemone. I got it out ok, but it would not eat after the shock of that and eventually parished. Also, I witnessed my peppermint shrimp attack an anemone and ate it in no time. This anemone was one of those with curley tenicles, and it was not small by no means. I believe the anemone was in shock at the time because I had transported it from a tank with compact lighting to a tank with MH lighting and it was having trouble adjusting. I believe the shrimps knew and took advantage of this.

Current Tank Info: Reef has sps, lps, softies, maroon clown, 3 anemones, 2 mated damsels, purple tang, yellow tang, shrimps,
Reef4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2006, 05:14 PM   #17
R33f3r
Anemones Anonymous

S. Gigantea is the last anemone you want to keep unless you have some experience with the easier anemones. I don't wanna be a preacher, but please read up on them before you purchase your next one. they are VERY unique and have delicate natures.