Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11/19/2006, 08:13 PM   #1
accord86
Registered Member

Television interference with electronic ballast?

Anyone else experience very poor television reception with Metal halide electronic ballasts on? Any way to minimize this?

accord86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/19/2006, 09:17 PM   #2
silverarrow27
Registered Member

I have a little static on my t.v. if I have it on. I just swapped out my mh light to T5s and problem gone.

Current Tank Info: None
silverarrow27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/19/2006, 09:30 PM   #3
x-link
Registered Member

is your balast grounded properly

x-link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/19/2006, 11:17 PM   #4
bubbaOPPD
Moved On

When I was in the Navy I would videotape on the flightdeck and the radar would interfere every sweep of the radar. I was told to wrap the camera in aluminum foil and it worked so I'm thinking it should work since the radar outputs a lot more, I would be careful not to cover the ventilation louvers. Or make a metal box with fans and place the ballast inside.

bubbaOPPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/19/2006, 11:21 PM   #5
theatrus
100-mile-commuter

I had this problem with an ancient TV. I just bought a cheap new one and the problem is gone

Current Tank Info: 90g mixed SPS/LPS/Soft/Clam reef: 6x54W T5HO IceCap, 40g acrylic custom sump, Ca reactor, chiller, Tunze + Vortech, lots of custom electronics
theatrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/20/2006, 04:32 AM   #6
redox
Registered Member

try plugging it into a non related circuit

redox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/20/2006, 09:36 AM   #7
accord86
Registered Member

I have the wire coming from the pendant, and the ballast grounded through the power cord. It is on it's own wall outlet with a timer.

I think all of the affected TV's are on the same circuit because when the circuit breaker pops, I have no power to any of those rooms. The TV's in my room, the next room, and the kitchen downstairs under the tank are all affected.

The ballast is an Icecap 175w electronic with a PFO pendant. The ballast is in a ballast box.

Any other suggestions? I may try wrapping it in aluminum foil.

accord86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/20/2006, 09:51 AM   #8
Sk8r
RC Mod

A large grounding wire, if the tv has one, can cause this. We had a copper house grounding wire so large it was functioning as a loop antenna, and the passing chatter from the airplanes inbound to a major airport was storing itself as static charge, which would, then, get this, leak from the wire into various tellies throughout the house, probably via the cable system, since only the large-screen tv and the cable box was grounded. It took an electrician who actually installed the airport systems to recognize it because of the pattern of the interference.

So yes, I will believe a tv receiver can pick up the darndest things.

"Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale, not meq/l; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp abt 78 up to 80, nitrate/ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal will not rise if mg is low

Current Tank Info: 105g, hermits, snails, mandy, 3 black axilchromis, azure damsel, starry/tailspot blennies, 2 firefish, royal gramma, 2 redstripe goby, YWG pair, 2 pearl jawfsh; blue star damsel; 3 stripe damsel; blue devil damsel; 2 lemon chromis
Sk8r is online now   Reply With Quote