Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Other Invertebrates
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/24/2007, 07:26 PM   #1
Tennsquire
Registered Member

Aiptasia that moves like a jelly???

Title says it all. I got some frags today from the LFS. They're being acclimated to the QT tank right now. They had what looked like several small aiptasia. However, these guys can move in an almost swimming-like way. I've got several in a small dish, and they will settle on the bottom and open their arms like an aip. and sit for a while. Then, they contract their arms rapidly and swim around the dish, like a jelly would swim. I don't know if I can get a pic (don't have a macro lens). What are these things?!?

Tennsquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/24/2007, 07:39 PM   #2
Tayler
Registered Member

they could be larvae of upsidown jellyfish.

Tayler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/25/2007, 09:42 AM   #3
mamagoose45
Registered Member

Tennsquire, I bet I know where you got them - we had a few come in on a zoo colony about a month ago. One of the guys told us about them because we saw one in the bag while it was laying on the counter. He said they had seen a few of them in the tank and were keeping an eye on them because they had never seen them before. I can't remember if they had figured out exactly what they were or not - I would swing by and ask Chris, maybe he'll know. We just dipped the heck out of them to be safe and I haven't seen any in my nano since we dropped the zoos in...

�I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells.� -Theodore Geisel

Current Tank Info: The 270 of my dreams and a 24 nano to keep it real for the little fish...
mamagoose45 is offline   Reply With Quote