Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/27/2007, 10:03 PM   #1
Graf-X
Registered Member

Lightbulb Sleekest Large Tank Lighting System

I am trying to decide on a lighting system for my 210 g tank (64 x 32w x 25h) in pre-production and have come to the realization that I really want a hanging lighting system as a main focal point of the aquarium - complementing the design.

I am also thinking a combo MH/T-5 (2 x250w mh and 4 x54w-t5)will be the best option as I will be keeping sps and really like the glimmer of MH. For those of you that own / have seen these fixtures in person - or have knowledge of additional systems (not on this list), any info would be greatly appreciated.

Below are the lighting systems that ive found that seem to be standing out (researching online) aesthetically while offering top notch functionality.

--------------
Giesemann SPECTRA (48")
Giesemann MOONLIGHT (48")
ELOS planet 1x250's (x2)
Sfiligoi SOLESET II
Sfiligoi Infinity XR4 2X250

T-5 only ---
Powermodule T5 48" 10x54W
TEK 8x54w
--------------

What would your vote be?

Best Looking / Sleekest Design?

Best Functionality?

Best Bang For the Buck?

Last edited by Graf-X; 12/27/2007 at 10:11 PM.
Graf-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/27/2007, 10:25 PM   #2
khoivo1
Registered Member

what about photon???

khoivo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/27/2007, 10:49 PM   #3
clownnrnd
Registered Member

I own a Sfigiloi XR4 3x400w w/ T-5's. Buying these can definitely be rough road. Shipping is hard on them. 4' fixture should ship better than mine. Now should be much better as I believe they ship via freight now. I think they offer this system w/ Ice Cap ballasts as well now. That is a improvement over the 220V./transformer system I got. I ended up swapping out the factory ballasts w/ Ice Cap Electronics.

The Sfigiloi will give the best spread I believe of the bunch( not including T-5"s of course). So functionality I beleive would go to Sfigiloi. Just make sure they have the unit in the country. My unit took forever to get here.

Best Looking/ Sleekest fixtures would be either of the Giesemanne fixtures. The moonlight may have bigger reflectors. Not real sure on these fixtures but they do look nice.

Another thing to keep in mind is how you will layout your rockwork. You may be able to get away w/ a unit that does not have as much spread if you plan to set up a system that is more wide open F>B. Any of the units should easily light 24"s F>B

Invincible569 is using the G/Spectra unit and it looks sweet. I think he is happy w/ it. I think he is lighting 36"s F>B.

Chad

clownnrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/27/2007, 11:04 PM   #4
khoivo1
Registered Member

i think elos evo and photon is the best choise but more money i think,,i am in a market for photon so,,i will check around to see who carry it?/
check out fliger thread ,,i think he owned all 5 lights you listed and finally he ended up with photon,,so i will go with himm,,,good luck ,,,and dont ' for get to post your new light up here ,,,love to know which light you end up with,,,

khoivo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/27/2007, 11:18 PM   #5
Graf-X
Registered Member

GroTech Photon Plus def added to list. I just found the Fliger thread and his tank is nearly the same size as the one I am designing and he says it works perfectly over it. Am having a hard time finding the website for more info and pictures/dealer though...

Last edited by Graf-X; 12/27/2007 at 11:29 PM.
Unread 12/27/2007, 11:36 PM   #6
Runfrumu
Hi

the current outter orbit has a 72" with 3 250's and 4 98 PC actinics. It is very sleek and has internal e-ballast. Mine (3 150's) has done good for the 6 months I've had it.

Current Tank Info: 125 gallon oceanic tank, Lighthouse Pro XLS, 72" outer orbit fixture, H&S 150-F2000/1 skimmer, H&S 110 Calcium Reactor, Tunze 7096, 2 Tunze 6105's , Tunze Osmolator, Prime 1/4hp drop-in chiller. 5 years running. Red Sea Max, 3 years.
Runfrumu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/28/2007, 09:03 AM   #7
reef / aholic
Registered Member

Graf-X - Here are some choices!!!

. ATI Powermodule - T5's only
. Giesemann Matrixx - T5's only
. Giesemann Spectra - T5's and MH
. GroTech Photon Plus - No longer being made
. KZ LED Coral Light T5 lamp with LED incl. light computer
. Sfiligoi Stealth - T5's and MH
. Sfiligoi Infinity XR4 or XR6 - Has a uniform light coverage on the water surface of 35.4” x 27.6”. Can use SE or DE bulbs and comes in silver or special order black.

reef / aholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/28/2007, 10:32 AM   #8
Graf-X
Registered Member

Thanks reef / aholic!

Some good options there... didnt realize Photon not being made any longer? I was wondering... I emailed captive oceans and havent heard back.

"KZ LED Coral Light T5 lamp with LED incl. light computer" - sounds intriguing however i cant find any info online regarding these (dealer etc). link??

And do you think a t-5 only fixture would push my setup adequately? Maybe a t-5 Matrixx/powermodule (6-8 54w bulb) and 150w mh spotlights/tracklighting on the front spoting sps?

Matrixx looks shweeet!!

one of these + 150 w MH spotlights/tracklight??

(unable to find dealer online as of yet)

Last edited by Graf-X; 12/28/2007 at 11:11 AM.
Unread 12/28/2007, 10:49 AM   #9
cwegescheide
YOU have been ignored!

I've got a Giesemann Eco that I really like. Very sleek and the craftsmanship and finish is awesome. If I were to do it over again I'd go for the Giesemann Infinity (I think they call it) total of 4 T5's and the MH's are adjustable side-to-side and the reflectors are much nicer in my opinion.

They are NOT cheap but excellent quality. They can do custom so it will sit perfectly 64" but that will REALLY cost you and it will probably take 4 mos to get it from Germany.

cwegescheide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/28/2007, 10:56 AM   #10
Graf-X
Registered Member

This the fixture you are talking about cweg?

Unread 12/28/2007, 01:20 PM   #11
cwegescheide
YOU have been ignored!

Yep!! Dat be it!!

I also like the looks of the t5 fixture as well. I will say that the Geisemann has a finish like a BMW... If you gotta look at it, it might as well be nice.. LOL

Unread 12/28/2007, 01:28 PM   #12
cwegescheide
YOU have been ignored!

Quote:
Originally posted by Graf-X
Thanks reef / aholic!

Some good options there... didnt realize Photon not being made any longer? I was wondering... I emailed captive oceans and havent heard back.

"KZ LED Coral Light T5 lamp with LED incl. light computer" - sounds intriguing however i cant find any info online regarding these (dealer etc). link??

And do you think a t-5 only fixture would push my setup adequately? Maybe a t-5 Matrixx/powermodule (6-8 54w bulb) and 150w mh spotlights/tracklighting on the front spoting sps?

Matrixx looks shweeet!!

one of these + 150 w MH spotlights/tracklight??

(unable to find dealer online as of yet)
Is that a Giesemann fixture??? NICE

Unread 12/28/2007, 01:32 PM   #13
MGB
Registered Member

I have the 48" Giesemann Infinity on a 32" wide tank, which it covers easily. The Infinity uses the DE bulbs compared with the SE on the Spectra. Personally I prefere DE bulbs.
Like many things in life "You get what you pay for" and it's hard to find fault with the Giesemann fixtures. Quality lighting is one of the corner stones to a great reef system, so in other words don't skimp on the lighting, I didn't and I'm glad I spent the extra cash on a quality system.

MGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/28/2007, 03:18 PM   #14
Graf-X
Registered Member

Ok, I rendered a quick concept drawing of what I think the tank would look like with the Giesemann Matrixx (prob 8 bulb - T5 only) and 150w MH spotlights over the 210 g concept. What do you think about this option? I really think I will miss the shimmer of MH if I go all T-5 so going with an 8 or 6 bulb t-5 may give me the ability to use the spotlights infront of the t-5 fixture (see below)... Also, those of you that have used the 150w spots, are they intense enough for a 25" tall tank?

Last edited by Graf-X; 12/28/2007 at 04:16 PM.
Unread 12/28/2007, 03:55 PM   #15
reef / aholic
Registered Member

KZ - http://www.korallen-zucht.de/en/shop...mps/index.html

The LED’s' flicker off and on to give you the MH's effect. Also remember if you go with Giesemann they now make a lighting computer

Unread 12/28/2007, 04:05 PM   #16
Donw
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Graf-X
Ok, I rendered a quick concept drawing of what I think my tank would look like with the Giesemann Matrixx (8 bulb - T5 only) and 150w MH spotlights over my 210 g concept. What do you think about this option? I really think I will miss the shimmer of MH if I go all T-5 so going with an 8 or 6 bulb t-5 may give me the ability to use the spotlights infront of the t-5 fixture (see below)...

Have you found any nice halide spot lights? If so do you have a link?

Thanks
Don

Donw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/28/2007, 04:27 PM   #17
reef / aholic
Registered Member

theatrical lighting company!!!

Unread 12/28/2007, 04:30 PM   #18
Graf-X
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by reef / aholic
KZ - http://www.korallen-zucht.de/en/shop...mps/index.html

The LED’s' flicker off and on to give you the MH's effect. Also remember if you go with Giesemann they now make a lighting computer
wow - 5 to 6k us $ for that one.

Great concept with the LED combo, however Im not sure if I'm sold on the aesthetics of the light itself (from the top/side) compared to the giesemann lineup. looking for additional pictures -

Unread 12/28/2007, 08:59 PM   #19
Graf-X
Registered Member

Don -

150 w spotlight bulbs - 6.5k / 10k / 20k

http://www.finsreef.com/home.php?cat=307

Spotlights / Fixtures

(some links to lighting companies - like reef /aholic said - you can seach for theatrical lighting as well).

Energie
http://www.energielighting.com/ArchConcept.htm
Artemide
http://www.artemide.us/luminaires/ceiling.html
Lightolier:
http://www.lightolier.com/home/home-srch.jsp?Filter=40
Halo
http://www.cooperlighting.com/search...ghtSourceID=22
Won Bros
http://www.wonbrothers.com/
BERSN
http://www.bersn.cn/eng/detail.asp?id=109
NVC
http://www.nvc-lighting.com/product_...=216&weblan=e#
YIDE
http://www.chinapages.com/sampleroom...spotlight.html
Erco
http://www.erco.com/index.htm

* disclaimer - link results based off of independent research (me!) - I have not spoken with each lighting company or verified compatability of all halide fixtures above!

Last edited by Graf-X; 12/28/2007 at 09:44 PM.
Unread 12/28/2007, 09:10 PM   #20
Graf-X
Registered Member

MGB -

Nice to know the 48" Giesemann Infinity on a 32" wide tank works well.

Interesting point here: "The Infinity uses the DE bulbs compared with the SE on the Spectra. Personally I prefere DE bulbs" - could you explain the advantage/differences.. also, the infinity looks to be about 1/2 the price of the spectra... probably becasue of the electronics??

Unread 12/28/2007, 09:31 PM   #21
ret25yo
Registered Member

non of these fixtures listed has active cooling... this is to be considered ..
for fit and finish ...ATI powermodule is perfect mine looks incredible as the tank is open with no canopy of course its a 270 but regardless the price and looks are incredible.

Current Tank Info: 270g custom
ret25yo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/28/2007, 09:48 PM   #22
Graf-X
Registered Member

Ret-

Which Powermodule (size /# bulbs) do you have pushing your 270? Any pics?

Unread 12/28/2007, 09:59 PM   #23
glassbox-design
Registered Member

graf-x...most of the track lights out there utilize g12 based MH, ushio does make a handful of higher K bulbs (4000-6500K) that can be quite useful...especially with lenses for better spread or focus.

those that do except par36/38 spots such as the EYE's that you show in the photo, often do not fire the high kelvin bulb properly...be sure to find the ballast specs before purchasing.

i would not suggest artemide for our purposes. the quality has gone down hill over the years.

LEDs are a 50,000 hr investment. Choose wisely.

Current Tank Info: ...a new glassbox is coming
glassbox-design is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/28/2007, 10:12 PM   #24
reef / aholic
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ret25yo
non of these fixtures listed has active cooling... this is to be considered ..
Sfiligoi Infinity XR4 and XR6 - Has 2 air intakes on the bottom and a pierced grill on the top let the air circulate through the lighting structure. Not the best design IMO!!!

Sfiligoi Stealth has active cooling!!!

GroTech Photon Plus has active cooling!!!

Not sure on the Giesemann Matrixx, I have not see one in person!!!