Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Blogs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Unread

A corals-first marine tank

Posted 07/11/2015 at 02:22 PM by Sk8r

A corals-first marine tank...
I've discussed this a couple of places, and some people are doing it, but let me put forward the advantages and the problems---if you have done or are contemplating doing it, chime in. It's at least worth a consideration, counting how prevalent parasites seem to have gotten in the hobby...

Pros
You can start setting up right after cycle.
You put your cuc in, dip, (do a short observation after dip for zoas, particularly) put a number...
RC Mod
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 11373 Comments 0 Go to first new comment Sk8r is offline Edit Tags
Unread

How secure do you WANT your rockwork?

Posted 07/04/2015 at 01:52 PM by Sk8r

How secure do you WANT your rockwork?
My answer is 'not secure'. I balance, prop, lay it a bit like decorative brickwork, but what the ancients called 'drystane' or dry-stone, despite it being underwater. This means I rely on natural balance, I make my arches out of post-and-lintel and rely on gravity, and I do everything I can that way.

Why? Why not make it one rigid form that nothing can ever shake?

Because I have had to go in and do a fish-extraction that...
RC Mod
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 11780 Comments 1 Go to first new comment Sk8r is offline Edit Tags
Unread

Do you need fish at all?

Posted 07/02/2015 at 12:37 PM by Sk8r

Do you need fish at all?
Short answer, no, not really.
Many people assume corals are the hard stuff. Some are. Many are so easy you have to be careful or they'll be like crabgrass.

One of the problems people have as NTTH folk (new) is assuming fish are tough. Most marine fish aren't that tough. Not all corals are. But some corals are kill-them-with-flamethrowers tough.

Corals do emit waste, but moderately so. They'll live on light (literally: their colors...
RC Mod
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 10753 Comments 0 Go to first new comment Sk8r is offline Edit Tags
Unread

Buying a used tank, or a tank in general: what's good.

Posted 06/25/2015 at 07:51 AM by Sk8r

What's (structurally) a safe tank..buying...and buying 'used'
This comes up now and again---somebody trying to buy a used tank.
Acrylic or glass---both kinds of tanks have their cautions.
Acrylic scratches easily, grain of sand getting stuck under a magnet scraper---glass not so much.
Acrylic unsupported by bracing can, over years, bow outward with the heat and weight of the water and sand. You can deal with this, generally, but do be sure that the acrylic is thick enough...
RC Mod
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 10672 Comments 0 Go to first new comment Sk8r is offline Edit Tags
Unread

Plumbing 101

Posted 05/23/2015 at 10:38 AM by Sk8r

1. be very clear when talking pipe or hose whether you are talking about inside diameter or outside diameter. They use both measures.
2. don't sweat leaks in any join that's meant to be underwater.
3. use teflon plumbers tape on any screwon joint. Wrap the tape in the same direction as you screw on.
4. pipe connects to pipe with a slip on or a screw on type connector. Slip-ons are NOT fastened if always underwater. This includes your downflow. If slip-ons are used outside of...
RC Mod
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 11493 Comments 0 Go to first new comment Sk8r is offline Edit Tags