Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Blogs > Sk8r
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

1. New Comment

178 hours with no power: tank saved

Hey Sk8r that really sucks! Storm came this way after it hit you but not as bad. I always keep 3 battery operated air pumps on hand just for that reason. They are really cheap, and LOUD, but have saved me on a couple of occasions after my APC battery backup ran out of juice. They are available on Drs F and S for about $10.00 for a pack of three and run off D batteries.
    I also have used them for transporting fish home from Spokane.
    Getting the propane heater was a great idea. Stinky, but effective.
  2. New Comment

178 hours with no power: tank saved

Wow, that is a lot of stress, do you have any hair left??? I hope you get everything back to normal and see if you can find a small generator that you can handle. Generators are almost a must now days. they even have solar ones that are pretty reasonable, but I don't know how reliable they are. It's worth checking into though. I hope everything goes well for you. Have a happy Thanksgiving and thank God for all the times He has pulled us through.
  3. New Comment

The humbug damsel

I love these post and share them with my friends and people who buy fish from me
  4. New Comment

The humbug damsel

how do people here even have access to post something or to start a blog do you or anyone know
  5. New Comment

Bullet-proof set-up procedure: introduction of CUC and fish

::::::::::::Bulletproof? It's made out of glass
  6. New Comment

DO I need a...[skimmer, filter, ro/di, reactor, ATO, etc.]

Yes, if you want a living are piece or if you have time to do everything manually, go for it.
  7. New Comment
  8. New Comment
  9. New Comment

GFO and Algae

Awesome!
  10. New Comment

Ghosty problems in your tank? Consider your nitrate level.

I have high nitrates in my 120 FOWLR tank...when I purchased my tank two years ago, it came with Eshops wet/dry bio filter and I have the Jebo 830 canister. Considering my high nitrate level, my fish seem to be doing good...they are eating very good and are very active.

I am doing water changes weekly to reduce the nitrate levels....

I went to my LFS and he stated my nitrate levels are high because of my bioballs and canister filter.

He also stated to ditch both filters and suggested I purchase the Eshops Advance sump ADV300? Anyone own one of these systems? Any suggestions?
  11. New Comment

Informational: My fish are fighting! ........Help!

and how is this different than fresh water ? really?

any fish can be territorial , I guess there may be a lot more small community freshwater fish but heck a tiger Oscar will chow down on any fish that fits in his mouth.... possibly more freshwater fish have been selected and bred for tanks and more marine fish are wild caught may be a difference?
  12. New Comment

How secure do you WANT your rockwork?

Hello i recently purchased some eco friendly man made live rock just to give it a shot whats your opinion on man made live rock?
  13. New Comment

When and how to start with corals.

Agree with Eac7466. great knowledge!
  14. New Comment

Cyano

No. Don't, if you have caulerpa algae: that stuff can go toxic in a lights-out.
  15. New Comment

How are a qt and a hospital tank different---or are they?

its good to know the diffrent ways to have a second tank ...i'm gonna use the uncycled qt
  16. New Comment

Heat: how early to set it, how to manage it.

that was good info i never even thought about my rock and sand holding heat....i like the styrofoam or insulation trick in case of power outage ....thanks
  17. New Comment
  18. New Comment

Cycling does not mean turning your tank into a toxic zone...

Aptasia and other unwanted pests.

What's your take on this. I'm,starting a new tank in a couple of months and I'm leaning towards dry rock BC of stuff like aptasias etc. I have the ability of using LR as I have 90 ponds of it and can get the rest for a gr8 price. Should I just go with LR and not worry about hitchhikers?

Thanks.
  19. New Comment

Buying a tank

First time tank buyer

Hi,

I am in the process of having my first tank quoted as a custom acrylic quarter bow front cylinder corner tank around 120-150 gallons. This is not set in stone as I am open to advise on the best tank for my fish. I am primarily interested in a fish only tank with some live rock. Eventually a reef tank will come. I will have a local company do all of the tank setup and monthly mnt. for at least a year, until I have learned enough to handle it myself.

This tank will be installed on the main floor of our house with the Sump and everything in the basement just below the tank. I am mostly interested in a couple of Puffers with just a few select others added eventually. Any advise on how I can get the most bang for my fishes by choosing the best tank size and design to start out? Thanks
  20. New Comment

DO I need a...[skimmer, filter, ro/di, reactor, ATO, etc.]

I am scared to buy the cheaper ones as they may not work properly, and I really don't know much about it.
    Example http://thereefshop.com.au/index.php?...products_id=36