Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Large Reef Tanks (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=252)
-   -   Coral Tank from Canada (1350gal Display Tank) - split (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2096730)

brockboi 12/16/2011 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdpiii3 (Post 19631135)
yes, yes it is! I follow them when they are touring seen them 80 times

my mother in law went to school with Neil Peart and one day Neil was drumming with a pair of pencils on the back of her chair. she turned around and said "stop drumming on my chair, you'll never go anywhere in music"!!!
incorrect!

mr.wilson 12/23/2011 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allmost (Post 19610584)
It won't give u cancer ...
Cancer cells spread/grow very rapidly, which means they need oxygen, which in turn means they will try to generate more blood vessels within and around themselves. Now exposure to excessive copper can aid them with their "berating task". same idea is used in photodynamic therapy, where profeline is injected and it concentrates in most rapid growing parts of body, ie. Nails, hair, Cancer .... And then by focusing light we kill the cancer cell ...

... and don't forget about Wilson's disease
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilson's_disease

Allmost 12/23/2011 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.wilson (Post 19660361)
... and don't forget about Wilson's disease
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilson's_disease

oh interesting !!

I hope its not named after you :)

mr.wilson 12/23/2011 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CalmSeasQuest (Post 19631525)
Hi Peter,

I also purchased a GoPro Hero2 but haven't had a chance to play with it yet. I'm especially excited knowing that you and Chingchai are impressed with its performance.

Looking forward to underwater photos and video :)

Merry Christmas!

I saw the Go Pro on Peter's desk and thought it was a toy, I guess it is, but man that's big bang for the buck. It rivals Peter's full frame camera and costs less than the tax on just one lens.

I guess I wil get the job of creating an underwater Steady Cam/Canada Arm, two more great Canadian inventions to add to Rush :)

aquaventions 12/26/2011 08:37 AM

I have an Abyzz 400 pump, and I am wondering where you got the flexible couplings for your Abyzz pumps?

mr.wilson 12/26/2011 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aquaventions (Post 19667416)
I have an Abyzz 400 pump, and I am wondering where you got the flexible couplings for your Abyzz pumps?

We bought the silicone hose from Venotec, makers of Abyzz.

2" flex hose fits over 50mm pipe and 1.5" fits over 40mm.

TheFishTeen 12/26/2011 11:04 AM

Awaiting that photo update...eagerly.

mr.wilson 12/26/2011 12:59 PM

Peter is learning how to master the new Go Pro mini cam. I will take some pics when I get back to the Great White North. I'm way down South in Chicago for the holidays.

nineball 12/26/2011 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.wilson (Post 19668002)
Peter is learning how to master the new Go Pro mini cam. I will take some pics when I get back to the Great White North. I'm way down South in Chicago for the holidays.

Check your email.....

nineball 12/26/2011 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheFishTeen (Post 19667762)
Awaiting that photo update...eagerly.

Sorry for the delay.... I have been very busy and also got a nasty cold so the effort to get you your Christmas update is a bit delayed....Hopefully in the next few days.

nineball 12/26/2011 03:25 PM

Tom can you PM me your Email/phone as Andy has asked me if I can get it for him.....I just had a great IPhone video call with Andy and his family. It was great to see and talk to him as well as get a personal tour of his tank.....WOW just WOW.

Peter

msr224 12/26/2011 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nineball (Post 19668342)
.....WOW just WOW.

Peter

Peter...coming from you....that is a mouthful.

CalmSeasQuest 12/27/2011 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nineball (Post 19668342)
Tom can you PM me your Email/phone as Andy has asked me if I can get it for him.....I just had a great IPhone video call with Andy and his family. It was great to see and talk to him as well as get a personal tour of his tank.....WOW just WOW.

Peter

PM Sent - Looking forward to an update from Andy!

I've been playing a bit with the Hero2 and it got me thinking....

With the size of your tank, it would be feasible to build, modify or acquire a RC submarine or ROV and fit it with your Hero2. There are quite a few already available that might be able to be retrofitted. I found a fellow Canadian that does custom submarine with camera builds including replicas of the Nautilus.

This one for instance looks large enough that the Hero2 could be mounted in the clear nosecone (although it might be a bit too bit large.)

Imagine sailing your tank and interacting with the livestock with live HD streaming video from the Hero 2 (once the WiFi back is released.) I would think it would be an incredible experience for the pilot and observers!

dmb1977 01/01/2012 12:17 PM

any updates peter

dcook 01/01/2012 12:47 PM

Pictures pleeeze

infpalex 01/07/2012 08:41 AM

Yay! I just got done reading all of your thread, which I started immediately after reading all of Ching's thread. I am a lurker, I've been reading threads here for a few months both these last two threads have made me really want to speak up and be more a part of the community. Thank you so much to both of you for the way you have handled your threads, they kept me coming back for more.

I posted this on his thread too but I feel like I am slowly earning my PhD in Reef Keeping from your threads. There is so much to absorb I feel like I need to reread both threads again!

In any case, I want to thank you, Mr Wilson, Dave M, Brothers Grimm, and all the other helpers of your project. You all are very inspiring. I am going to be saving so I can upgrade this year to a 125g, which will be huge compared to my 29gal. :) I will be using this thread and your great example to help me along the way.

Thanks again for sharing, I am very grateful to the whole community for having this information out there for a newbie like me.

Alex

mr.wilson 01/07/2012 09:05 AM

Sorry guys, I haven't been posting much lately. It's great to see the thread lives on and is continuing to lift rocks to expose more lurkers to the naked light of day:)

Yes, pictures will follow in the next few days. The tank is really growing in well. We are getting to the point where we will cull out some of the less colourful corals. The bar keeps getting lifted, so what was once a premium coral is now background:)

It's incredible how much a tank can mature in a year. It was last January when we added the first corals. I will do some searching through my pictures and try to do some before and after perspectives.

nineball 01/07/2012 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infpalex (Post 19712867)
Yay! I just got done reading all of your thread, which I started immediately after reading all of Ching's thread. I am a lurker, I've been reading threads here for a few months both these last two threads have made me really want to speak up and be more a part of the community. Thank you so much to both of you for the way you have handled your threads, they kept me coming back for more.

I posted this on his thread too but I feel like I am slowly earning my PhD in Reef Keeping from your threads. There is so much to absorb I feel like I need to reread both threads again!

In any case, I want to thank you, Mr Wilson, Dave M, Brothers Grimm, and all the other helpers of your project. You all are very inspiring. I am going to be saving so I can upgrade this year to a 125g, which will be huge compared to my 29gal. :) I will be using this thread and your great example to help me along the way.

Thanks again for sharing, I am very grateful to the whole community for having this information out there for a newbie like me.

Alex

Thank you Alex. This year end has been a busy one for me so I haven't been posting as much. If our thread has inspired you to 'dive in' a bit deeper we are pleased to have you join our community. I have been looking forward to posting more progress and accompanying observations following my learning curve. Stay tuned for a sizeable update on lighting. I am very excited about the path we have been following. Hopefully it will be helpful to this community as well.

Peter

Mrs. Music 01/07/2012 09:07 PM

I always love reading this thread due to the never ending optimism, humility and acceptance that is expressed here. Thank you for sharing this wonderul build with the rest of us ORD stricken individuals.

reefgeek31 01/09/2012 07:43 PM

Peter I starving for info about our tank? I've been following since chingchi tank . I pray things are good and hope you can fill the starving with info of your masterpiece. I hope you are not losing the fire that has made this build so special in the first place.

swissgaurd 01/19/2012 09:15 PM

hi peter maybe i missed this somewhere.
question on your LED lighting
how long do you leave your lights on

thanks
vic

dave.m 01/19/2012 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swissgaurd

Peter has all this info on his web site. Here is the latest data that he gave me on his lighting.

Note, however, that he is in the process of replacing all the metal halides with Orphek LEDs. This process will be completed by Mr.Wilson in the very near future.

Dave.M

Padrino 01/19/2012 11:05 PM

over 5kW of power just in lighting! That's awesome!

Peter,
Would you like me to set up a laser over there as well? I have extensive knowledge in this field.

Are you not worried that you will not have the growth or integrity when full LED? Myself and many others who have totally switched away from T5 and/or MH have experienced major downfalls. I know that you have majority LED now but there are still MH present. Perhaps you can prove otherwise!

Always a pleasure!

Rob

aqua20 01/20/2012 04:47 PM

What a great and beautiful thread!

Peter, honestly you and Chingai have given reefers like me so much inspiration.

Can't wait to see the new pics.

Grtz from Turkey!

nineball 01/20/2012 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swissgaurd (Post 19764343)
hi peter maybe i missed this somewhere.
question on your LED lighting

thanks
vic

Vic, its a long sequence given the size and current makeup of the lighting over the tank. The royal blues come on starting about 10 am in 2 foot segments. First one side then the other then the next 2 ft segment and so forth. Each segment takes 5 mins and there are 17 segments. That covers the inside and the outside for a total of 24 feet on the long side and about 20 feet on the inside. Then the lights in the middle come on for and additional 24 feet. The middle currently consists of three 2 ft LED modules and two 6 ft MH/T5 aqua medic units. They are just about to be replaced with 9 new LED custom units over the centre channel. next the process repeats itself every 5 mins with 100% LED white lights. The metal halides / T5's come on for six hours and then the process reverses itself until dark at around midnight.

Peter