Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mantis Shrimp (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   So how long will it take for my stomatopod to molt and what is it doing? (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=963909)

Dana42078 07/21/2011 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonodactylus (Post 19052443)
This doesn't sound good to me. Stomatopods do not usually lie around on their backs for days prior to molting. With a healthy molt, you typically see increases in digging and aggression a few days prior to molting and the last day or two they can't strike, but not the behavior you describe. If it were me, I would tend to the tank with a partial water change being careful not to stir things up and matching the salinities between the old and new water.

Roy

Ok, maybe i mislead you with my quick typing and really not thinking clearly.

He spent today on his back. The last few days he did just as you said. He dug a actual hole for the first time ever. He killed about 9 hermits within a day and a half and like i said today everytime i walked past he was laying there.

I had to work today but i got your message and did a water change. It was already lights out so he couldnt see me and vice versa....hoping for the best here. Thanks always for your input Dr. This will be his second molt since ive had him since Jan of this year. Am i over feeding?

Gonodactylus 07/22/2011 07:59 AM

I would say that you are only over feeding if your water parameters are off.

Restricted feeding will make the animal more interactive and cut down the risks associated with each molt, but the stomatopod will not over eat.

Roy

JustMantis 08/02/2011 10:46 AM

When my Peacock shed, he went crazy for a week or so...digging all over the tank, rearranging everything and what not. I've never seen him go so crazy, but the sed went great, it was very fast and the whole thing came off all at one time. He ate it within hours. I've had him for about 6 months and that was his first shed.

FLKeysGirl 08/22/2011 08:28 AM

Can anyone tell me if they've ever hear of a N. Wennerae go from red to green? After 5 days of hiding and other signs - thanks to rc members, I now know mine has probably molted. Before I knew not to do this, I put a little light under my tank and realized he is now green?? Beautiful and bright green and reading that I probably just stressed him out is concerning me. At this point is there anything I can do? And is the color change a normal thing? He got much darker red before he went "underground", but this is no contest, GREEN?

FLKeysGirl 08/23/2011 08:52 AM

I guess I got my answer! My Mantis must have molted, he went from RED to Neon Green with yellow appendages!!!! COOL!
Before molt:
[video=youtube_share;lNOI3lyD3AY]http://youtu.be/lNOI3lyD3AY[/video]

After molt!
[video=youtube_share;UFnUaZOfvRI]http://youtu.be/UFnUaZOfvRI[/video]

FLMantis 09/02/2011 03:03 PM

New Molt Questions: September 2, 2011

I figured I asked in here since the answer would be useful to others.

My 3-4" Odontodactylus Scyllarus just finished her molt on Tuesday August 30th around 3:00p.m. Tried to feed her table shrimp last night but she played with it and threw it out. Did not eat it.

1)How long until her jaws are strong enough to eat after a molt?
2)How long until her dactyls are strong enough to smash?
3)Is this shell rot, could never get a good pic before the molt? I think it is, but just need reconfirmation I guess.
http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/z...u/accbc0e0.jpg

Gonodactylus 09/02/2011 03:46 PM

That appears to be advanced shell rot.

There is a difference between a stomatopod being able to strike and eat and doing so. This also varies considerably with size and species. A 3.5 inch O scyllarus can strike weakly after a couple of days and is back at full power in a week to 10 days. They will take soft food and eat part of the molt skin after a day or two but won't tackle a snail for over a week. A 6 inch O. scyllarus will be at least twice as slow recovering.

Roy

FLMantis 09/02/2011 04:06 PM

Thanks Dr. Roy.

I will try to get new pictures of her tail after the molt. Does not really show any Shell Rot. I noticed the Shell Rot last month. And left the actinics on only, bought selcon (feed her like crazy) and all of the stuff that you recommended even the UV sterilzer too.

Moving her to the 55g soon. It is larger (less of a Nitrate Factory) and no lighting at all.

FLMantis 09/07/2011 01:37 PM

Shell Disease on Tail.

The best pic I can get of her telson? Is that pink Shell Disease?

http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/z.../Mantis016.jpg

Gonodactylus 09/07/2011 01:47 PM

Yes. There is some recovery, but I doubt that it is completely healed. Also watch the brown spots on the dorsal abdomen. They look suspicious to me.

FLMantis 09/07/2011 02:06 PM

Thanks, Dr. Roy. I will feed her as much as I can.

She molted Mid June and End of August. Is that good for her size?

FLMantis 11/15/2011 03:28 PM

11/15/2011 Progression of Molting with Shell Disease.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLMantis (Post 19250217)
The best pic I can get of her telson? Is that pink Shell Disease?

http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/z.../Mantis016.jpg

11/15/2011 Just Molted Two Days ago. Slowly but it does look better after this last molt.

http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/z...u/6a401d2d.jpg

Gonodactylus 11/15/2011 03:35 PM

The animal is recovering. The colored depression is covered by the stomatopod equivalent of scar tissue.

Roy

Jamiesheffield 10/22/2012 08:20 AM

I have a G. Viridis in a 4G tank, and she's been happily living in it for about a year. I have never seen her molt, nor have I seen the shed carapace. In the last few days, her color has changed, as has her behavior, and I wonder if she is getting ready for a molt. She has been spending more time out of her burrow, swimming around the floor and up to the top of the tank, and sometimes lounging around behind (but not under) one of the pieces of LR in her tank.

The WQ seems to be within ordinary parameters, but I was starting to worry about her (although she's been eating normally).

Jamie

.bubbles 01/02/2015 04:06 AM

Peacock Molted - scared she has shell rot

1 Attachment(s)
We've had our 6" peacock mantis shrimp since September (it had molted at the LFS just before pick up). We had the mantis tank covered and unlighted for the past few days of molting. We figured it ought to be done so we took a peak. She came out of her burrow and we noticed some spots on her back. But since we had no lights on it was hard to tell if the spots were normal or not. We flicked on the lights for a second to take this photo. She is normally very colorful and we had never noticed any rotting on her before. As you can see, aside from the concerning spot of possible rot she is also now a dull brown. Can someone please tell me if the spots on her is shell rot or something else? And what I can do, if anything, to help her out? Thanks in advanced!!

Gonodactylus 01/02/2015 09:34 AM

It looks like shell rot that has partially healed. However, this will often continue to spread after a molt. Good nutrition and water quality along with low light levels and a dark burrow are the keys to clearing this up. Make sure your nitrates are low. I have also found it useful to use UV sterilization and nutrient supplements such as Selcon.

Roy

.bubbles 01/02/2015 10:52 AM

Thank you so much for your quick response Roy! Even though it is not exactly good news it is a bit of a relief to at least know what we are dealing with. Thanks so much for taking the time to help and offer advice, seriously, greatly (add a few more superlatives in there) appreciated. Take care!

alex78 05/26/2016 01:53 PM

So how long will it take for my stomatopod to molt and what is it doing

I dont know I use a seneye to track the most important parameters but dont have anything to test to that extent. I have seen 2 more berried making 3 now. Maybe it was the chlorine and chloramines not mixing in the bucket first. Its not as easy as doing it straight back along the pipe but will try it to see if it makes a difference to put in the bucket get a better temperature and mix it first.

Should it stand a while after mixing?

clayworm 11/16/2018 08:31 AM

I know this thread is old, but my mantis shrimp has locked himself and covered the cavity and has not come out in about a week and a half. Is this molting?

Gonodactylus 11/16/2018 09:16 AM

Probably. What species and how big?

Roy

clayworm 11/17/2018 11:45 AM

Around 3 inches it is a Gonodactylaceus ternatensis

Gonodactylus 11/17/2018 04:32 PM

Up to two weeks.

clayworm 11/17/2018 09:21 PM

Ok, I will keep posted on what happens to her. Thanks(I forgot she was a female)

clayworm 11/18/2018 12:14 AM

Thanks

clayworm 12/03/2018 08:46 PM

He still has not emerged, would it be safe to move some of the rocks and look for him? The ammonia levels are at zero so I’m not sure if he is dead