Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Marine Biosystems (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=746)
-   -   Introducing the New Space Saving F5 Biopellet/Media Reactor (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2552932)

MBS 01/20/2016 09:28 AM

Introducing the New Space Saving F5 Biopellet/Media Reactor

2 Attachment(s)
We're proud to announce that we have begun production of the all new space saving F5 biopellet/media reactor. It uses the same patent pending lifting plate design pioneered with the original 3-D printed version but is now milled from black cast acrylic (the lifting plate is still 3-D printed ABS plastic).

The lifting plate design in this unit forces the incoming water under the biopellet mass and over specially designed lifting fins. This lifts and completely fluidizes the biopellet mass by affectively causing the base of the reactor to act like one giant water jet. This is significantly more efficient then traditional designs and allows up to 400 ml of biopellets (enough for a 100 gallon tank) to be completely fluidized with a Rio 180+ pump (120gph). Complete fluidization with no deadspots results in clump free operation which is essential to use biopellets affectively over the long term. The lower flow rates also provide plenty of processing capacity for a 100 gallon tank (>2X turnover per day) while still allowing your skimmer to intake the entire output flow without overwhelming it.

Whats new:
Space saving over/under design. base footprint is 3 - 3/16" x 3 - 3/16"
Milled and assembled in the US from black cast acrylic
New base design that allows complete disassembly for cleaning
Addition of standard media plate which can be swapped out for the biopellet plate if you want to run GFO or carbon instead.

Specs:
3 - 3/16" x 3 - 3/16" base x 18.5" tall
Capacity - 400 ml NPX biopellets
Pump - Rio+ 180
Output - 1/2" Sch 40 Black PVC.
MSRP: $149.99

sde1500 01/27/2016 08:28 AM

Looks pretty nice. My tank is just starting out, and I've been looking into biopellets as a way to manage nitrates and phosphates. I'm not entirely sure I'll be adding a reactor, but if I decide to this one looks like it would be high on my list, since my sump is pretty tight it would be perfect.

zelie_dad 02/08/2016 09:35 AM

I am seriously considering purchasing one of these for my first tank. I'm putting together a 40 gallon breeder with an additional 20 gallon sump and refuge. Which reactor would you recommend? Also, were would the best placement be, before or after the skimmer, in the fuge, etc?

MBS 02/09/2016 08:14 PM

Given your 60 gallon or so total water volume we would recommend the F5 - which is the medium sized one. Its retains a small footprint in your sump but can still treat up to 100 gallons so you have a 40% upside if you need it. As far as placement, we recommend that it be placed next to your skimmer with the output tube as close to your skimmer inlet as possible. The output tube is 1/2" sch 40 pipe so it can be easily plumbed from across the sump if you need to physically locate the reactor away from the skimmer. We don't glue the output pipe in. The elbow at top is glued into the cap but the remaining pipe is just press fit in... Again, this allows you to plumb it to suit your needs.